PDA

View Full Version : Why do we pay athletes too much?

burnet44
02-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Jon Lieber Has A Big A$$ Truck
We'd like to note that Phillies pitcher Jon Lieber is a real man with a real man's truck.

http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/02/bigasstruck.jpg

Lieber rumbled into spring training yesterday in his 2-week-old Ford F650 SuperTruck, a customized blue-and-black beast, 9 feet, 2 inches tall and 25,000 pounds, with six doors, 45-inch wheels, seating for seven, a satellite dish and customized leather interior. It cost him $211,000, more than twice the $94,000 base price. But when you throw in, say, $22,000 for the two extra doors - actually, an extra half of a cab - it adds up fast.
We find it amazing that Jon Lieber -- Jon freaking Lieber -- drives this vehicle. Oh, and it's eco-friendly too.

Four 50-gallon diesel tanks cost $500 to fill, though, at a thrifty 12 miles per gallon coming from a 300-hp Caterpillar engine, Lieber only used a quarter of a tank driving here from his home in Mobile, Ala.

this is just stupid
Yeah I know
Im a hater

txkmom
02-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Major league salaries are outrageous. Having said that, as the parent of a kid who wants to go pro, you want to make what the market will bear. In other words, if they are fool enough to pay it, the players are going to take it. But if mine makes it, God willing, he still better not bring home a vehicle like that.

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by burnet44

this is just stupid

I agree... Six doors with only seven seats? freakin' idiot...

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Shoot I get 12 miles a gallon in my truck...

I like it.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I agree... Six doors with only seven seats? freakin' idiot...

I bet there are 4 captains chairs and a bench in the back.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Ask Mack Brown!!!!!!

g$$
02-16-2007, 06:56 PM
It's entertainment, that's why, & the teams are making lots of $$. I read where the Dallas Cowboys net over $50 million each year, & they have not won a playoff game since 1996!

Minimum MLB salary = close to $400K
Avg. MLB salary = close to $4 million
Meal $$ on road = over $100 per day (pocket most of it as food provided at park too)

If the market will bear it, I say go get it! Actors/actresses make lots of $$ for the same reason (some get $10-20 million per movie).

Emerson1
02-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Ask Mack Brown!!!!!!
He would probably know, he puts more players into the NFL then a&m. So he knows alot more professional players and could ask them.

g$$
02-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He would probably know, he puts more players into the NFL then a&m. So he knows alot more professional players and could ask them.

That is not entirely true. Up until 2 years ago, A&M had more NFL players than Texas. Texas has put more in the NFL recently. It is very close b/t Texas, A&M, OU, & NEB (but A&M very few lately). Look it up for proof.

The SEC kills all of those above too as far as NFL guys recently. Pac-10 produces bunches too.

Emerson1
02-16-2007, 07:05 PM
I bet Mack has put alot more of his recruits to the NFL as opposed to Frannie

Who-dun-it!!?
02-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
Major league salaries are outrageous. Having said that, as the parent of a kid who wants to go pro, you want to make what the market will bear. In other words, if they are fool enough to pay it, the players are going to take it. But if mine makes it, God willing, he still better not bring home a vehicle like that.

Then he can come to my house, I'll drive that monster through some fun stuff!!:D

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-16-2007, 10:31 PM

You mean CRY BABY Mack:bigcry: :weeping: :bigcry: :weeping:

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by g$$
That is not entirely true. Up until 2 years ago, A&M had more NFL players than Texas.

What he said!!!!!!

charlesrixey
02-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
What he said!!!!!!

I hate to do this but

2006 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

so what if A&M sends more to the pros

i will take texas' success over A&M's downfall any day

Emerson1
02-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
I hate to do this but

2006 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

so what if A&M sends more to the pros

i will take texas' success over A&M's downfall any day
2005 national champs*

g$$
02-19-2007, 04:40 PM

Three players in the Super Bowl alone played for Coach Fran at other schools -- Bears' All-Pro linebacker Brian Urlacher at New Mexico, Bears' defensive end and runner-up Rookie Defensive Player of the Year Mark Anderson at Alabama, and Colts' defensive end Bo Schobel at TCU (Columbus boy, cousins Matt & Aaron in NFL too).

Fran coached LaDainian Tomlinson but did not recruit him to TCU. No doubt Mack has produced more lately, but for quite a while in the mid to late '90s Texas A&M sent more to the league than Texas & others in the Big 12. Texas has had a better run lately (& OU, NEB, etc.). SEC still tops too in talent! Just facts...