PDA

View Full Version : Lady Bulldogs Surviving in Unlucky Season

Adidas4I0s
02-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Lady Bulldogs surviving in unlucky season
February 16, 2007

When: 5 p.m. today, Cisco High School

Records: Wylie 16-12; Graham 10-20

A boatload of bad luck: A few weeks into this season, the computer file that Alan Ayers was using to compile his team's statistics crashed.

That was a sign.

It has been that kind of year for Ayers and his Wylie girls basketball team. With only one starter and three letterwinners back from his 2006 state tournament team, Ayers knew things would be different. But he never could have expected all of this.

One player transferred to Jim Ned before the season. Another did the same in early December. Starting guard Lainey Miller missed a month with mononucleosis. Wing player Kariesha Williams was lost to academic ineligibility in January. Then came Saturday, when starting wing Kelsey Loflin suffered a broken leg on the first possession of a practice game against Crowley.

''This is my 20th year to coach, and as far as parent problems and kids leaving the program and kids getting hurt, this is the extreme,'' Ayers said. ''I've had 20 years worth in this year here. I've never been through this kind of situation. It has been quite unique.''

Rallying the troops: Despite the wall of calamities before them, the Lady Bulldogs still managed to win their final seven 7-3A games to claim the district title outright thanks to the development of varsity newcomers like sophomore guard Cali Pointer (8.1 points per game in district) and junior post Teah Casey (6.4 ppg in district).

''It's just a situation where we put these kids in a tough situation, and they answered the call,'' Ayers said. ''These girls know what they're supposed to do, and they still expected good things to happen, but going through the battle toughens you up some.

''We put them right into the deep end of the pool and said, 'Sink or swim, girls,''' Ayers said. ''They've done a good job of swimming, I guess.''

Graham rematch: Tonight is the second meeting of the season between Graham and Wylie, with the Lady Bulldogs winning the first meeting 56-41 at home on Dec. 15. Wylie trailed 29-18 at the half, but Miller, Rebecca Jones and Jacki Speer hit big 3-pointers as Wylie outscored the Lady Blues 21-4 in the third quarter to take command.

Miller led Wylie with 11 points, followed by 10 from Williams and nine from Jones. Graham was led by Paige McCain with 12 and Laura Gilliam with 10.

Lady Blues rally: Graham made it to the area round with a comeback of its own on Tuesday night, rallying from an 18-point second-quarter deficit to defeat Dalhart 64-61 in bi-district.

Melissa Handley scored a team-best 16 points, followed by 15 apiece from Sarah Dickey and Gilliam, whose put-back with 12 seconds to go proved to be the game-winner.