PDA

View Full Version : Todd Dodge visits White House

kaorder1999
02-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Todd Dodge has a fan in the Oval Office

Dodge Visits President Bush

08:30 AM CST on Thursday, February 15, 2007
By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

New North Texas football coach Todd Dodge knew he had more than a few fans in Southlake and Denton because of his history of success at Carroll and his promise to turn around the Mean Green.

He just never would have guessed he had an admirer in the Oval Office.

Dodge, his wife, Elizabeth, son Riley and daughter Molly were in Washington D.C. last week, and spent a few minutes with President George W. Bush on Friday.

Dodge was in town to speak at a football clinic.

“It was a surreal experience,” Dodge said. “It was almost overwhelming to find out that the president knew about me and my son. I was told that he had watched us play in the state championship game.

“He told Riley he was the first player he had seen throw up and throw a touchdown pass on the same play.”

Riley became sick during the Dragons’ win over Austin Westlake in the state title game last season.

Dodge said he wanted to take his family with him to Washington D.C. and make the trip an educational one. Dodge tapped into his contacts to make sure his family would see the White House.

Lindsay Lineweaver, an assistant to first lady Laura Bush, is the daughter of Trinity head coach Steve Lineweaver and the brother of Carroll assistant Aaron Lineweaver. Dodge contacted Aaron to see if his family could visit the White House and quickly heard that his family would be welcome.

“After the first contact with Lindsay, they called back and asked if we could change the time because the president wanted to meet us,” Dodge said. “He spent 20-25 minutes with us.”

Bush talked to Riley and Molly about making good decisions in life and shared stories about the history of the White House and the Oval Office.

Bush even asked Dodge if he planned to recruit Riley to play at UNT. Riley will be a senior at Carroll next season.

“It was an unbelievable day,” Dodge said. “You walk out of there and can’t believe that you just talked to the most powerful man in the world.”

Briefly …

Dodge said he would announce the final assistant coach for his staff today. UNT is looking for a defensive ends coach to replace Derek Lewis. The former Texas standout was a member of the Mean Green’s staff for just a few days before leaving to join the staff at Minnesota as tight ends coach.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com .

Boosty_Hondo
02-16-2007, 12:23 AM
wow simply incredible

g$$
02-16-2007, 03:52 AM
Please keep Todd Dodge's father-in-law in your prayers (wife's father). Ebby Neptune had a stroke recently & has not been doing well. Ebby is a long-time friend of my family (Sweeny boy) who put Austin Westlake on the map & their stadium bears his name. Best wishes to him & the family. He's a fine man.

(If you watched the state game on tv, they interviewed him on the sidelines fyi as they were playing Westlake & his grandson Riley was QBing SLC.)