PDA

View Full Version : Star Telegram Article-Bryan Barrett (Kennedale)

CatsDen
11-14-2003, 08:07 AM
Senior throws just enough for Kennedale
By Ruben Martinez
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/DARRELL BYERS
Bryan Barrett rarely makes mistakes and passes well enough to complement Kennedale's prolific running game.

KENNEDALE - Richard Barrett the coach and Richard Barrett the dad reached a conclusion. It was an easy one for the coach, but not an easy one for the dad.

In football, though, winning is what counts.

Kennedale quarterback Bryan Barrett does not get a chance to throw the ball up and down the field all night long for his father and coach. Bryan Barrett has sacrificed some of his game for the good of the team.

While some quarterbacks boast gaudy statistics, Bryan Barrett cares for only this one: 19-3 in his two seasons as the starting quarterback.

"I don't even want to come out and pass a whole lot, because I know what we have here," the 6-foot-2, 180-pound senior said.

He hopes to add a few more victories. Kennedale (9-1) will meet Sanger (5-5) in the Class 3A Division II Region I bi-district playoffs at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Boswell High School.

"We could go 70 percent pass if we wanted," Richard Barrett said. "We still run more than we throw, but I don't think teams can stack the line of scrimmage against [running back] Rex [Harper]."

Harper, a senior, is the focal point of the Kennedale offense and one of the best running backs in the area. With the success Kennedale has had, it's hard to argue with the formula.

Harper has run for 1,432 yards and 26 touchdowns. But Bryan Barrett has kept defenses honest by passing for 1,603 yards and 21 touchdowns, with only four interceptions.

The low number of interceptions and the 67 percent completion rate reflect the job Bryan Barrett has done. He's not flashy, but he doesn't make mistakes, either.

"He's good at reading defenses and finding holes in them," Harper said. "That's won us a couple of games this year."

Bryan Barrett can also pass his team to victory. In the season opener against Crandall, Barrett completed a 45-yard pass to Chris Morris to set up a 10-yard touchdown toss to David Collins.

"I'd like to see a few more passes," Morris said. "But you can't argue with the results. I'd rather be winning than catching more passes."

Richard Barrett knows the offense starts with Harper. The team finished the season averaging 298.5 yards rushing and 161.5 passing. And it averaged 49.1 points a game.

"We could throw a lot," Richard Barrett said. "But then we wouldn't have utilized everything we have on the field."

Sanger vs. Kennedale

• Class 3A Division II Region I bi-district game

• 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Boswell High School

• Records: Sanger 5-5, Kennedale 9-1

• At stake: The winner advances to the area round and will play Ballinger or Iowa Park.