PDA

View Full Version : Hindus protest Valentine's Day

Maroon87
02-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Shiv Sena in no mood for love on Valentine's
Wed Feb 14, 9:49 AM ET

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Hardline Hindu activists protested against celebrations of St Valentine's Day in the Indian capital on Wednesday, calling them immoral and a corruption of the country's ancient civilisation.

Marking the year's most romantic day has become increasingly popular in India, led by retailers who do healthy business selling rose-coloured greeting cards and heart-shaped balloons, and restaurants offering discount candlelight meals for two.

But it has also sparked demonstrations.

About 150 members of the pro-Hindu political party Shiv Sena gathered in New Delhi, shouting "Down with Western culture!" and "Death to Valentine's Day!" as they waved saffron-coloured flags.

"Valentine's Day promotes obscene cards and nudity and encourages our youngsters to be publicly affectionate in parks and other places -- this is against our ancient civilisation," said Jai Bhagwan Goyal, head of Shiv Sena in the capital.

"This western creation is corrupting our young people and making them have immoral thoughts ... we are already seeing that there are more evil crimes like rape happening in India."

In Mumbai, the scene of violent protests in the past, love seemed to conquer all and the day passed off peacefully.

Tens of Shiv Sena protesters burnt Valentine's cards in Jaipur and tried to enter the city's main park to harass courting couples, but were stopped by police.

In the Muslim-majority state of Kashmir, at least a dozen women covered from head to toe in black burqas, stormed into several restaurants in Srinagar, telling couples to go home and stay away from "unIslamic" Valentine's Day celebrations.

"Valentine's Day is against Islamic teachings, our ethos and culture," said Andrabi, chief of Dukhtaran-e-Milat (Daughters of the Muslim Faith).

Satellite television, the internet, films and travel have led traditionally conservative middle-class Indians to adopt more liberal attitudes towards sex.

But public hugging and kissing, even in urban areas, still invite angry stares, lewd comments and even beatings.

(Additional reporting by Sheikh Mushtaq in Srinagar)

JasperDog94
02-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
In the Muslim-majority state of Kashmir, at least a dozen women covered from head to toe in black burqas, stormed into several restaurants in Srinagar, telling couples to go home and stay away from "unIslamic" Valentine's Day celebrations.

"Valentine's Day is against Islamic teachings, our ethos and culture," said Andrabi, chief of Dukhtaran-e-Milat (Daughters of the Muslim Faith). So let me get this straight. It's against Islamic law to have a day dedicated to showing your spouse how much you love them, but it's okay to have an "honor killing"?

Makes perfect sense to me.:crazy: :crazy:

JasperDog94
02-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
"Valentine's Day promotes obscene cards and nudity and encourages our youngsters to be publicly affectionate in parks and other places -- this is against our ancient civilisation," said Jai Bhagwan Goyal, head of Shiv Sena in the capital. Oh no! Not public affection in parks!!! Oh the insanity!!!!!!:crazy1:

Phil C
02-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Oh no! Not public affection in parks!!! Oh the insanity!!!!!!:crazy1:

Alas! Alas! Surely there will be more happier days than this!

:(

mustang59
02-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Damned Western civilization! I'm taking back all those Valentine's Day cards I bought so I won't contribute to the downfall of society. Imagine, daring to celebrate a day devoted to love.

JR2004
02-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Well apparently it isn't uncommon for folks over there to not celebrate Valentine's Day. I know an Indian lady and I asked her if her husband got her anything and she said no because they don't celebrate Valentine's Day. She said he's a "typical Indian guy" and he just celebrates the holidays they grew up celebrating in India.

Gobbla2001
02-14-2007, 08:29 PM
I may not share the same opinions on the subject, but I shall join them in protesting this day...

mwynn05
02-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
So let me get this straight. It's against Islamic law to have a day dedicated to showing your spouse how much you love them, but it's okay to have an "honor killing"?

Makes perfect sense to me.:crazy: :crazy: im not realy familiar with their religion if you are talking about terrorism then wow thats one of the dumber statements ive ever heard because terrorists are extremists just like westboro baptist church are extremists

NDFootball
02-15-2007, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
im not realy familiar with their religion if you are talking about terrorism then wow thats one of the dumber statements ive ever heard because terrorists are extremists just like westboro baptist church are extremists

I don't know how it is there where you live but some of the baptists here are enough to make you sick.

The anti-Valentine's people overseas are just jealous because America has Bennigan's and they don't :rolleyes: