PDA

View Full Version : Why We Take Taks

burnet44
02-14-2007, 01:38 PM
http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/02/oops.jpg

Keith7
02-14-2007, 01:41 PM
ya taks is so great.. teachers spend the whole year teaching kids how to pass the taks test instead of teaching about the subject they are sopposed to.. hooray for TAKS :rolleyes:

piratebg
02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
ya taks is so great.. teachers spend the whole year teaching kids how to pass the taks test instead of teaching about the subject they are sopposed to.. hooray for TAKS :rolleyes:

No kidding. TAKS is a joke. That is why I'm voting Rita in 08. :D

JasperDog94
02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
ya taks is so great.. teachers spend the whole year teaching kids how to pass the taks test instead of teaching about the subject they are sopposed to.. hooray for TAKS :rolleyes: Agreed.

dogdad
02-14-2007, 03:34 PM
if the TAKS test measures the areas students are supposed to know, and if the teachers spend all year teaching the students to pass the TAKS, and if the kids learn all the things necessary to pass the TAKS, then haven't we done some good?

Txbroadcaster
02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
if the TAKS test measures the areas students are supposed to know, and if the teachers spend all year teaching the students to pass the TAKS, and if the kids learn all the things necessary to pass the TAKS, then haven't we done some good?

In theory yes..but the problem is..they are not truly learning..they are memorizing.

The whole thing about school is not just to learn facts and figures, but to also learn problem solving, creativity, and the ability to develop ideas and to communicate them.

This is what is being lost in school. Their is no longer a forum of debate, an exchanging of ideas. Instead it is learn a certain thing to pass one test, then move along.

One of my favorite HS teachers once said, it is not just about learning, but it is also about creating in a student, the ability to truly learn, and part of that is the journey of mistakes.

JasperDog94
02-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
One of my favorite HS teachers once said, it is not just about learning, but it is also about creating in a student, the ability to truly learn, and part of that is the journey of mistakes. Not bad.:clap:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-14-2007, 04:01 PM
In theory yes..but the problem is..they are not truly learning..they are memorizing.

The whole thing about school is not just to learn facts and figures, but to also learn problem solving, creativity, and the ability to develop ideas and to communicate them.

This is what is being lost in school. Their is no longer a forum of debate, an exchanging of ideas. Instead it is learn a certain thing to pass one test, then move along.

One of my favorite HS teachers once said, it is not just about learning, but it is also about creating in a student, the ability to truly learn, and part of that is the journey of mistakes.

Wow Terry, that was deep.

dogdad
02-14-2007, 04:14 PM

I don't disagree with what you are saying here, but in my opinion, the initial thought behind TEAMS,TAAS, TAKS was valid. We need a yardstick by which all students in Texas can be measured. This assured us that no district was out of touch with what needed to be taught and assured us that all students should be able to learn the basics. Of course like all good ideas, this one has been overcooked by Austin and the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. We do need that yardstick in some form and school districts need the freedom to teach in the manner that you have described......some accountability without the robots!

Txbroadcaster
02-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Wow Terry, that was deep.

LOL I love to debate and learn new things. Ask my wife I can debate many different subjects..but on here I try to keep things light, because to many times people dont know the difference between a debate or an argument

Txbroadcaster
02-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
I don't disagree with what you are saying here, but in my opinion, the initial thought behind TEAMS,TAAS, TAKS was valid. We need a yardstick by which all students in Texas can be measured. This assured us that no district was out of touch with what needed to be taught and assured us that all students should be able to learn the basics. Of course like all good ideas, this one has been overcooked by Austin and the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. We do need that yardstick in some form and school districts need the freedom to teach in the manner that you have described......some accountability without the robots!

I dont mind something to have in place to make sure the ISD is doing its job..BUT when you tie money and grants to how succesful a ISD is on the TAKS, your going to get what we have now...They are more worried about pushing the kids along with good TAKS scores, because that means more money.

JasperDog94
02-14-2007, 04:38 PM
... because that means more money. That's what it usually boils down to...money.:(

NDFootball
02-15-2007, 05:04 AM
As a student who took the exit level TAKS last year I can say that it sucks in every way possible :thumbsup:

But since I'm done with it....make all the little kids suffer for all I care.