PDA

View Full Version : WO-S History

Gasilla
02-06-2004, 05:03 PM
We are new to 3A and I know many of you (with the exception of BC, Jasper and Orangefield) probably don't know much about us. Below is a link to one of 2 WO-S websites that will tell you a little more about us.

Buckeye80
02-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Gasilla:
We are new to 3A and I know many of you (with the exception of BC, Jasper and Orangefield) probably don't know much about us. Below is a link to one of 2 WO-S websites that will tell you a little more about us.Sheesh, you 4A teams! Showing up in 3A with your fancy web sites and winning records. What's next? Showering facilities in 3A locker rooms? LOL :D :D :D

Keith7
02-06-2004, 08:22 PM
I believe your schedule said yall are playing in 2004.. so why are you bragging about your past??

Bulldog92
02-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Keith7:
I believe your schedule said yall are playing in 2004.. so why are you bragging about your past??Aren't you proud of your team and what they just did, Keith? You won't find me or anyone else from Jasper doing much to defend anyone from WOS, but cut the guy some slack. They should be proud of winning state back in 86 and 87. Those were some great teams and Jasper went toe to toe with them back then. I'm glad to see some Mustangs here.

Old Cardinal
02-06-2004, 09:20 PM
To Keith: You won it last year, and that is good. However, it does not give you a right to assume you are the best team going on into eternity...To call WO-S and "average 4A team" is very offensive. WO-S has never backed off from playing the very best teams they could schedule. As the smallest of the 4As they have a very remarkable record. I thank they will have their "place in the sun" just as Gainesville did last year. They are loaded and Gainesville graduated pretty heavy.

Old Tiger
02-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Nice site.

JasperDog94
02-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Keith7:
I believe your schedule said yall are playing in 2004.. so why are you bragging about your past??If nobody cared about the past, where would all those stat. guys for Sportscenter be working?
eek! :D

Gasilla
02-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Keith7:
I believe your schedule said yall are playing in 2004.. so why are you bragging about your past??Is someone bragging?? Man, I just got here and you're already rubbing me the wrong way.

JasperDog94
02-07-2004, 01:56 AM
Gasilla:

Keith7:
I believe your schedule said yall are playing in 2004.. so why are you bragging about your past??Is someone bragging?? Man, I just got here and you're already rubbing me the wrong way.It's just Keith. You'll get used to him. I think he's upset because Gainsville won the state championship the year after he graduated.
:p :p :p

j_dog
02-07-2004, 02:23 AM
Gasilla:

Keith7:
I believe your schedule said yall are playing in 2004.. so why are you bragging about your past??Is someone bragging?? Man, I just got here and you're already rubbing me the wrong way.Keith, you brag all the time about Gainesville. No problem. That is your job. But, you are wrong to criticize others who justly are proud of their team also. :)

<small>[ February 07, 2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: j_dog ]</small>

Rabbit'93
02-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Keith7:
I believe your schedule said yall are playing in 2004.. so why are you bragging about your past??I don't think he was bragging. Just giving us an insight to what WOS is all about.

Old No. 7
02-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Gasilla:
We are new to 3A and I know many of you (with the exception of BC, Jasper and Orangefield) probably don't know much about us. Below is a link to one of 2 WO-S websites that will tell you a little more about us.I think everyone in Southeast Texas knows who WO-S is. :D Welcome.

Old No. 7
02-07-2004, 12:58 PM
j_dog, you sure keep some late hours in Washington. :)

j_dog
02-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Old No. 7:
j_dog, you sure keep some late hours in Washington. :) that lets me get the last word of the night! :D

Old No. 7
02-07-2004, 05:59 PM
j_dog:

Old No. 7:
j_dog, you sure keep some late hours in Washington. :) that lets me get the last word of the night! :D lol. I wonder if that is why my wife stays up late?........I bet not. :D

pakrat
02-07-2004, 06:50 PM
As long as Dan Hooks is at WOS, they will be a force to reckon with in football. He won't show up with many players. He likes to play his best athletes both ways so maybe he doesn't need many. That's not unusual in 3A, but large 4A and a lot of 5A schools don't like to do that, but Hooks did when he was there. I'm not saying WOS will waltze out in 3A and dominate in 2004, but they will be heard from before too many seasons.

sinton66
02-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the best board in the world, Gasilla. And welcome to 3A, WOS. Change is what keeps life interesting after you've been around as long as Old Card and I have. I think WOS dropping down will be good for 3A. I know it will raise the competition level in southeast Texas a notch or two and force some to step it up. One of the neatest things about 3A is that we don't have much choice but to play the hand God deals us. It's gonna be a fun year.

eagle.eyes
02-08-2004, 02:39 PM
I've got a gut feeling us BH people won't be happy to see Hooks come back home on Friday nights! eek!

Gobbla2001
02-08-2004, 05:13 PM
That's a lotta cool history...

It's sad that stuff like our 9 state championship game appearances since 1970, our 44 game winning streak (1973-1975), our 574 all-time wins and our Gordon Wood Award for the 1998 team of the year hasn't won us a state championship since 1987...

I'm gunna go and gripe to the High School Football gods and ask why WO-S gets one in 2004...

Oh, wait... the season hasn't been played yet...

Oops, excuse my error...

WOS92
02-08-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm gunna go and gripe to the High School Football gods and ask why WO-S gets one in 2004... I don't know. You might also ask them why, though not a single person from WO-S has made a claim that they'll win the state title, fans from other schools are pretending WO-S has already made reservations for the state game. Strange, huh?

<small>[ February 08, 2004, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: WOS92 ]</small>

Gobbla2001
02-08-2004, 05:22 PM
WOS92:

I'm gunna go and gripe to the High School Football gods and ask why WO-S gets one in 2004... I don't know. You might also ask them why, though not a single person from WO-S has made a claim that they'll win the state title, fans from other schools are pretending WO-S has already made reservations for the state game. Strange, huh?And that would be who I'm referring to...

Not you, welcome aboard...

JasperDog94
02-08-2004, 07:17 PM
WOS92:

I'm gunna go and gripe to the High School Football gods and ask why WO-S gets one in 2004... I don't know. You might also ask them why, though not a single person from WO-S has made a claim that they'll win the state title, fans from other schools are pretending WO-S has already made reservations for the state game. Strange, huh?The same thing happened to Jasper two years ago. We came in and were really excited about being in 3A and got accused by some people of thinking we had already won the state championship. It kinda goes with the territory.

Gobbla2001
02-08-2004, 07:20 PM
JasperDog94:

WOS92:

I'm gunna go and gripe to the High School Football gods and ask why WO-S gets one in 2004... I don't know. You might also ask them why, though not a single person from WO-S has made a claim that they'll win the state title, fans from other schools are pretending WO-S has already made reservations for the state game. Strange, huh?The same thing happened to Jasper two years ago. We came in and were really excited about being in 3A and got accused by some people of thinking we had already won the state championship. It kinda goes with the territory.If my memory serves correctly, not ONE person from Jasper came in with their guns blazing during the 2002 offseason going on and on about how they'd dominate 3A...

And now that WO-S has dropped down, not one of them has done it either...

I'm talking to the 'others'...

Old Cardinal
02-08-2004, 07:56 PM
You know, WO-S whipped Bay City who lost only in the 4A finals last year. I was just thinking back to 2000, when I rode a charter bus up to DFW to watch them play Ennis for the State Championship. That year WO-S was supposed to be "rebuilding", yet they fought their way to the final-two spot. The Ennis team totally ate their lunch during the first half with their spread passing. In the second half WO-S was the better team but unable to catch up on the first half big scoring effort. If "Cornell" comes back to Coach the defense-look out. At this point on the Jasper/WO-S opening game, I would say WO-S 60% chance to win and Jasper 40% chance to win. This will be a warm up game between the TWO best teams in 3A ball. It will not be the same teams that will enter postseason, however. Both teams will be, improved, during the course of the year because of their heavy schedules and Coaching efforts....

<small>[ February 08, 2004, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

JasperDog94
02-08-2004, 11:46 PM
...and if Silbee makes the playoffs, they go separate divisions.

Wildcat81
02-09-2004, 08:02 AM
Cool web site. And welcome to our little family.

St. Ivender
02-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Gasilla, looking back over the records and scores of WOS games I notice there are references to an opponent "mlc" in small letters. I'm assuming this is really "LCM". Is there some sort of animocity between your schools or is it just the website inventor?

Gasilla
02-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Actually, the site was built by a good friend of mine and a WO-S "fan of fans". He goes by the handle Gostangs, and I'm sure he will show up here at some point. He did all the hard work building the site and all I am is a care taker, basically. Gostangs coined the term but all Mustang fans now use it.

Yes we have MUCH disdain for our cross town foes. This is not a "friendly" rivalry. We truly DO NOT like one another. mlc is a show of disrespect toward them.

In 1992 a relative of the mlc coach was subbing at WO-S. Because there was an evacuation that year due to a hurricane some of the grades had been turned in late. The sub noticed that one of the players grades had an "incomplete" on it and supposedly he was not supposed to play. What had happened was that the kid had actually taken a test and passed it and had a passing grade but, because of the hurricane, the regular teacher had not posted it yet in the grade book (he was still out of town from the storm). The sub made a copy of the grade book and gave it to the mlc Sup who in turn gave it to the mlc Coach. This was the 5th week of the season when this occured. The mlc coach purposely held on to the info until the last week of the season when they knew that WO-S would have to forfeit enough games to miss the playoffs (we were 9-0 at the time). Not only that, but mlc also scored in the late seconds in week 8 against Nederland when they already had the game won so they would have the edge on the point tie breaker since they were anticipating being tied with them, thus knocking Nederland from the playoffs (although Ned Coaches knew nothing of what was going on). Needless to say, they brought it all out in week 9 and since the mlc principle was the Chair of the District committee that year we were forced to forfeit all our games past week 4 and guess who made the playoffs instead? This also caused the UIL to pass the rule that any school now who has knowledge of an infraction must report it immediately and not hold it to better themselves or they will be met with infractions too.

There have been other things since also, like defacing our property (one of their star players was caught doing it), and many knee injuries to WO-S players during games. But the 92 incident started it all.

Sorry so long...
eek!

<small>[ February 09, 2004, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Gasilla ]</small>

JasperDog94
02-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Now hang on there Gasilla. The Jasper/WOS rivalry is a pretty heated one also. Are you claiming that there have never been any late hits by your guys either or that your guys have never defaced any property at Jasper? Think very carefully before you answer that question.

NewStang
02-09-2004, 12:39 PM
There's a big difference between a kid hitting another player late and being coached to take out as many knees as possible.
And no, nothing we've done compares to intentionally sitting on a "violation" for five or six weeks simply as a means of forcing one school to forfeit games so that your team can make the playoffs for the first time in history. mlc bowed out in the first round to a team that WO-S had already beaten that year.

mlc are not WO-S's "heated rivals." They hate each other's teams, plain and simple. People from mlc still brag about beating WO-S in 1994, so it's not exactly a "rivalry." WO-S/Jasper is closer to a "rivalry," and I'm sure there have been plenty of heated exchanges on both sides.

<small>[ February 09, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: NewStang ]</small>

JasperDog94
02-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Very true Newstang.

St. Ivender
02-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Thanks Gasilla and Newstang for the explanations and welcome aboard. I'm a transplanted Newtonian (who along with everyone else you guys have consistently throttled in the past). Defacing school property (within reason) or burning coaches in effigy, stealing the other team's mascot these are all things that add color to the game.

Gasilla
02-09-2004, 02:34 PM
I've always thought Of Jasper as an actual "rival". As newstang put it, we do not like mlc. We see Jasper as "friendly" rivals. No, I do not remember any dirty play, no more than usual when 2 rivals play one another. There's always going to be pushing and shoving and an occasional late hit but, not intentionally trying to hurt someone. Don't get me wrong, rough play IS the game. But intentionally going for thew knees is wrong. In 99, our entire defensive backfield was out for 4 games with knee injuries because of the mlc game.

I do not remember any dirty play from us since we started playing you guys. I remember Walkoviak used to complain a lot but that was more about the officiating than anything. He never could seem to get a call when we played one another and he would get frustrated. As for defacing property, I never knew or heard of any of that.

<small>[ February 09, 2004, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Gasilla ]</small>

NewStang
02-09-2004, 02:37 PM
In 99, our entire defensive backfield was out for 4 games with knee injuries because of the mlc game.
No exaggeration. We actually lost eight starters to lower-leg injuries in that game.

Gasilla
02-09-2004, 02:41 PM
St. Ivender:
Thanks Gasilla and Newstang for the explanations and welcome aboard. I'm a transplanted Newtonian (who along with everyone else you guys have consistently throttled in the past). Defacing school property (within reason) or burning coaches in effigy, stealing the other team's mascot these are all things that add color to the game.You're right, to be honest, the property thing would not be a big deal if it weren't for everything else. I think the line should be drawn when it can potentially hurt the kids. Going for knees can permanently injur a kid and robbing them of a chance to do somethng they will never forget in order to better yourself is just a damn shame.

JasperDog94
02-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Gasilla:
I remember Walkoviak used to complain a lot but that was more about the officiating than anything. He never could seem to get a call when we played one another and he would get frustrated.Funny you should mention that. I remember Coach Hooks got really mad during a game in Jasper. He thought his punter was roughed and marched to the middle of the field to complain. I remember that the Jasper fans were pretty hacked off that he didn't get a flag thrown on him for that display. Later in the game, a Jasper player was pushed into the punter and a flag was thrown. I guess Coach Hooks got the refs attention... frown

Gasilla
02-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Oh yeah, he's never been afraid to rattle the refs cage a bit. Sometimes with dire consequences, but they all new they'd better be on their toes when they ref a WO-S game. I think I remember the game you're refering to.

j_dog
02-09-2004, 09:49 PM
mlc. Have to get used to that! If I remember correctly, I think Jasper took them (mlc) out in Bi-district that year you had the forfeits??

Gasilla
02-09-2004, 10:02 PM
j_dog:
mlc. Have to get used to that! If I remember correctly, I think Jasper took them (mlc) out in Bi-district that year you had the forfeits??That's right j dog, the game actually ended tied 7-7 but Jasper won on penetrations.

j_dog
02-10-2004, 01:38 AM
Gasilla:

j_dog:
mlc. Have to get used to that! If I remember correctly, I think Jasper took them (mlc) out in Bi-district that year you had the forfeits??That's right j dog, the game actually ended tied 7-7 but Jasper won on penetrations.Yeah, now I remember. They almost snookered us too. Jasper was preparing to play WOS, and then had to adjust to play mlc! That was probably as much of their plan as well as putting you guys out. :rolleyes:

spiveyrat
02-10-2004, 06:55 AM
Gasilla:

j_dog:
mlc. Have to get used to that! If I remember correctly, I think Jasper took them (mlc) out in Bi-district that year you had the forfeits??That's right j dog, the game actually ended tied 7-7 but Jasper won on penetrations.Jasper had to win a game against "mlc" on penetrations??? eek!
Poor showing! (for Jasper)

<small>[ February 10, 2004, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: spiveyrat ]</small>

St. Ivender
02-10-2004, 08:50 AM
What is mlc's enrollment? Are they growing or falling like everyone else in the area?

WOSgrad
02-10-2004, 09:06 AM
mlc's population is declining, but at a bit of a slower pace than everyone else. Many folks move out of the West Orange-Cove I.S.D. and up to mlc's.

As far as their ADM rank in district 20-4A, I think that only Lumberton has a lower one.

WOSgrad
02-10-2004, 09:08 AM
j_dog:
mlc. Have to get used to that! If I remember correctly, I think Jasper took them (mlc) out in Bi-district that year you had the forfeits??Isn't that the playoff game that y'all played in Louisiana?

JasperDog94
02-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Sorry guys but I can't call LCM "mlc". I guess it's just too close to the whole A&M - UT thing.

WOSgrad
02-10-2004, 10:45 AM
JasperDog94:
Sorry guys but I can't call LCM "mlc". I guess it's just too close to the whole A&M - UT thing.That may one of the best reaons I have heard yet for not calling them mlc. They don't deserve even that much respect.

WOSgrad
02-10-2004, 10:47 AM
nm

<small>[ February 10, 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: WOSgrad ]</small>

JasperDog94
02-10-2004, 10:55 AM
BTW - welcome aboard WOSgrad.

WOSgrad
02-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks, JasperDog94. Looks like this is going to be a fun site. You don't get this sort of dedication to one classification on the other sites.

JasperDog94
02-10-2004, 11:10 AM
This is a collection of rather unique individuals. Some more unique than others. I'm sure you'll grow to love it as much as I have if you stick around for awhile.

And can you believe it?!? There's football outside the golden triangle. :p :p

Thanks Gobbla for helping us out with that little fact. :D :D

ej2525
02-10-2004, 11:16 AM
It's nice to see fans of old foes on this board who I am used to playing when I was still in HS. WO-S, LC-M (mlc), Jasper, PN-G, Ned., Jasper, Lincoln & Silsbee were all in the same district. I went to BC during that time. (Tough district!!) The current district BC is in looks a little more similar with WO-S in it and the neighbors to the north (Jasper & Silsbee) are back in the same classification. Should be interesting again with those schools mixed right in with OF and all of the other 3A schools.

JasperDog94
02-10-2004, 11:19 AM
I guess you know that Lincoln is no more?

ej2525
02-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Yes... 5-A PA Memorial (Titans)