PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban's Queer Eye For The NBA Guy

burnet44
02-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Mark Cuban's Queer Eye For The NBA Guy

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is of the opinion that, if there is a gay player out there on a current NBA roster, he should come out, because he would be totally rich and respected if he did. Because that's just the way it happens in the real world, right? You announce that you're gay, and they give you a new car?

"From a marketing perspective, if you're a player who happens to be gay and you want to be incredibly rich, then you should come out, because it would be the best thing that ever happened to you from a marketing and an endorsement perspective," the Mavericks' owner said. "You would be an absolute hero to more Americans than you can ever possibly be as an athlete, and that'll put money in your pocket."
We think we speak for all NBA players when we say: "Um, just how rich?"

Because we can't help but think of the scene in Stripes when the army recruiter asks Bill Murray and Harold Ramis if they're gay. When Murray says no, Ramis adds: "But we are willing to learn." We can think of several little-used NBA journeymen in danger of being cut next season who just might want to make sure that they don't get cut, and make a heap of dough in the bargain. Just call a press conference, make a certain announcement about enjoying Judy Garland movies more than most other men your age ... voila! There's no way a team is going to cut the NBA's first openly gay player. We're pretty sure.

kaorder1999
02-13-2007, 10:28 AM
i usually agree with a lot that Cuban says but not this one!

BuffyMars
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Ummmm no....I highly doubt he would be respected if he came out. Since when are gays accepted in sports?

kaorder1999
02-13-2007, 10:31 AM
i can see what he is getting at. If 20% of sports viewers were homosexuals then the athlete that comes out would get 100% of their attention! BUT.....the 80% would turn their back on him!

BuffyMars
02-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Leave it to Mark to be thinking about the green. He is an extremely intelligent man, but I agree with you...he is overlooking the 80%.

Txbroadcaster
02-13-2007, 10:41 AM
I see what he means..A team would be afraid to cut an openly gay player..In today's PC world people would say he was cut because he was gay.

And there would be a niche in marketing for an open player..Like it or not national companies are making more of an effort to advertise directly to the Gay world, and a open current sports figure would have ALOT of endorsment chances

JasperDog94
02-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
.....Like it or not national companies are making more of an effort to advertise directly to the Gay world.. And look what it's doing to Ford Motor Company. Sales are not just down, but way down from a year ago. The difference? They promised to stay out of the "lifestyle war". They later reneged on that promise and started advertising and sponsoring gay events. People got upset about that and started boycotting Ford. The result is massive sales loss.

Bottom line is you can pander to the very small minority, but it may cost you in the long run.

burnet44
02-13-2007, 11:32 AM
its both gas milage
and gay milage

SintonFan
02-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by burnet44

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is of the opinion that, if there is a gay player out there on a current NBA roster, he should come out, because he would be totally rich and respected if he did. Because that's just the way it happens in the real world, right? You announce that you're gay, and they give you a new car?

"From a marketing perspective, if you're a player who happens to be gay and you want to be incredibly rich, then you should come out, because it would be the best thing that ever happened to you from a marketing and an endorsement perspective," the Mavericks' owner said. "You would be an absolute hero to more Americans than you can ever possibly be as an athlete, and that'll put money in your pocket."

Because we can't help but think of the scene in Stripes when the army recruiter asks Bill Murray and Harold Ramis if they're gay. When Murray says no, Ramis adds: "But we are willing to learn." We can think of several little-used NBA journeymen in danger of being cut next season who just might want to make sure that they don't get cut, and make a heap of dough in the bargain. Just call a press conference, make a certain announcement about enjoying Judy Garland movies more than most other men your age ... voila! There's no way a team is going to cut the NBA's first openly gay player. We're pretty sure.
rofl
I'f he's serious about this, das funny. I hope one of his under performing players "comes out" just to test his hypothesis.:D

Txbroadcaster
02-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
rofl
I'f he's serious about this, das funny. I hope one of his under performing players "comes out" just to test his hypothesis.:D

Kind of hard to find an under performing Maverick this year

burnet44
02-13-2007, 01:26 PM
are the mav's gay now mark?

SintonFan
02-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Kind of hard to find an under performing Maverick this year
Yeah right!
Don't the Mavs have at least 5 losses so far this year? I'd say someone was under performing.:rolleyes: :p

Txbroadcaster
02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Yeah right!
Don't the Mavs have at least 5 losses so far this year? I'd say someone was under performing.:rolleyes: :p

LOL if that is true then MAN the Suns, Spurs, Rockets and everyone else have nothing but underachievers on the roster LOL

Adidas410s
02-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
And look what it's doing to Ford Motor Company. Sales are not just down, but way down from a year ago. The difference? They promised to stay out of the "lifestyle war". They later reneged on that promise and started advertising and sponsoring gay events. People got upset about that and started boycotting Ford. The result is massive sales loss.

Bottom line is you can pander to the very small minority, but it may cost you in the long run.

I don't believe that to be the reason that Ford sales are down. It might play a role as big as 5%...but not much more. I would look at other factors for Ford's declining sales:

- public perception (see tire failures on numerous vehicles as well as numerous other massive recalls)
- fuel efficiency (or lack of). They are regarded in general as being very fuel inefficient vehicles in their market segment and their biggest sellers (Expedition, Explorer, and F-150) are still lacking against their competitors in this area. With increased gas prices...people shifted away from their cars.
- Poor design. They've gone with a very "tonka truck" look (they even designed a "tonka truck" F150) and the big bulky look is furthering the perception that they are fuel inefficient vehicles.
- Toby Keith...I don't really like him or his music. I would rank this about as high as the advertising to those of alternative lifestyles.

charlesrixey
02-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by burnet44

only b44 can find such stuff so consistently

:)

burnet44
02-13-2007, 03:02 PM
ya boy mark said it not me

eagles_victory
02-13-2007, 04:28 PM
hes just not saying this out of nowhere a former nba guy came out last week and its all anybody was talking about

Keith7
02-13-2007, 04:35 PM
maybe this means that Cuban will finally come out soon

pirate4state
02-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
maybe this means that Cuban will finally come out soon LMAO!