PDA

View Full Version : Giants Release LaVar Arrington

NDFootball
02-12-2007, 09:20 PM
New York releases linebacker a year after 7-year, $49 million deal

Updated: 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The New York Giants released linebacker LaVar Arrington and two other starters Monday in the first major shake-up under new general manager Jerry Reese.

New York also cut linebacker Carlos Emmons and offensive tackle Luke Petitgout, both of whom were slowed by injuries over the last two seasons.

The release of Arrington ended a brief and unsatisfying tenure with the Giants for the former Pro Bowler, who was signed last year for $49 million over seven years but suffered an Achilles injury against Dallas on Oct. 23 and played in only six games.

“LaVar’s situation is unfortunate because he was just starting to really become a factor in our defense at the time of his injury,” Reese said.

Reese, who last month replaced the retired Ernie Accorsi, served notice that he will not stand pat with a team that won the NFC East in 2005 but was humiliated in a first-round playoff loss to Carolina, then squeaked into the playoffs last season with an 8-8 record and again lost in the first round.

“These are difficult decisions,” Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said. “But as Jerry and I looked at the roster, they are decisions we felt we had to make as we start to compose our team for the upcoming season.”

Combined with the retirement of running back Tiki Barber, the Giants now have additional salary-cap space to pursue free agents this offseason. Emmons had two years remaining on a five-year contract worth $16.5 million and was to make $2 million this year, and Petitgout had two years left on his contract and was due $5 million for 2007.

Arrington, whose contract was filled with incentives, was scheduled to make $900,000 next season.

Petitgout started 106 games at tackle and guard over eight seasons for the Giants, but broke his leg against Chicago on Nov. 12 and missed the Giants’ final seven games. He became expendable when guard David Diehl switched to left tackle and played well in his absence.

Dumping Petitgout’s contract could give the Giants a better shot at re-signing free-agent center Shaun O’Hara.

Emmons, acquired from Philadelphia in 2004, played in 36 games in three seasons but missed a total of 11 games in the last two seasons with a pectoral injury.

Calls to the agents for all three players were not immediately returned Monday evening.

Astrosdawg07
02-12-2007, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't mind seing the Cowboys sign Arrington is possible.

tigerpride_08
02-12-2007, 09:31 PM
kind of shocking to be out of that contract so quickly...but he will get picked up...

NDFootball
02-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07

That'd be nice if he can come back from his Achilles injury those are tough...his contract is going to be an issue though he feels like he deserves lots of money when he hasn't really proved much

burnet44
02-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Combined with the retirement of running back Tiki Barber, the Giants now have additional salary-cap space to pursue free agents this offseason. Emmons had two years remaining on a five-year contract worth $16.5 million and was to make $2 million this year, and Petitgout had two years left on his contract and was due $5 million for 2007.

all about money

bobcat1
02-12-2007, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't mind seing the Cowboys sign Arrington is possible. Not me. I have it on real good authority Arrington is a worse cancer on a team than people believe TO is. Arrington really thinks Roses come out of his arse in the morning. No thanks to the Cowboys getting Arrington.

burnet44
02-12-2007, 10:37 PM
agreed
please jerry sign him

NDFootball
02-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Not me. I have it on real good authority Arrington is a worse cancer on a team than people believe TO is. Arrington really thinks Roses come out of his arse in the morning. No thanks to the Cowboys getting Arrington.

It was quite amazing to see him get injured with Washington, get cut and demand a huge contract from the Giants, then get hurt again. Boggles my mind. But hey if he could lower his asking price there's no person JJ won't take in it seems.

Emerson1
02-12-2007, 10:45 PM
With that big of a contract look for the knicks to sign him.

NDFootball
02-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
With that big of a contract look for the knicks to sign him.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

c-town_balla
02-12-2007, 11:08 PM
If the cowboys get any LBs it needs to be the guy from Chicago #55.....dont recall the name he is a free agent tho

88bobcats
02-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Arrington was a stud at Penn State. He was all over the field when my beloved Aggies played Penn State in the Alamo Bowl. I guess back then he was still hungry.

He's been a huge disappointment in the pro ranks. Talk about a prima dona. I'm glad he was a punk for the hated 'skins and Giants. I hope like hell he doesn't sign with the Cowboys. His talent's not worth the disease he will bring to the team.

He and Terrell Owens would spend the entire season in a punk-off to see who could drag the team down the most!

JR2004
02-13-2007, 12:34 AM

Being a Skins fan, I would FULLY endorse Arrington becoming a Cowgirl! Not only was this guy completely uncoachable under two pretty good defensive coordinators in Marvin Lewis and Gregg Williams, but his attitude was a killer and he never was very interested in the team concept. When you've managed to get on the bad side of one of the nicest and most successful coaches in league history in Joe Gibbs you're really doing something.

The guy just refused to do what was asked of him in Washington. When they tried to get him to play with some discipline he wouldn't do it and instead just decided to do his own thing. He killed us time and time again with his reckless style of play and I can't count the amount of times he was out of position on a play. The guy hurt the defense at least 75 percent of the time he was on the field, but you wouldn't know it because ESPN would show the one play where he'd do his own thing and make a play.

TexanAlum_06
02-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
If the cowboys get any LBs it needs to be the guy from Chicago #55.....dont recall the name he is a free agent tho

Lance Briggs-OLB .... my only question is if we sign him whos he going to replace? Demarcus Ware? Greg Ellis? Now if Ellis doesnt come back then I say it would be good to go get him. But I would rather see them bring in a top notch FS or D-lineman.

coach
02-13-2007, 12:50 AM
cowboys dont need him they just need gregg ellis and a new secondary

TexanAlum_06
02-13-2007, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by coach
cowboys dont need him they just need gregg ellis and a new secondary

AGREED