PDA

View Full Version : Graham's Brad McCoy Not Going Anywhere

Adidas410s
02-12-2007, 04:47 PM
The rumor spread like wildfire throughout Abilene, now it's hitting close to home.

Word has it that Graham football coach Brad McCoy is leaving the Steers for greener pastures - no pun intended.

The funny thing is, it's not true, at least for now.

The father of University of Texas quarterback Colt McCoy is now being asked about the rumor on a daily basis, but is at a loss to explain its point of origin.

''I don't have a clue,'' Brad said. ''It's here in Graham too, and I've got my (supervisors) telling me every day, 'Hey, we don't want you to leave, we'll take care of you here, don't look anyplace else and if someone calls, let us know.'

''There's a lot of good things going on here and I don't know where all the rumors got started.''

It's a safe bet it began in the Abilene area, where the notion of Brad's exodus has been water cooler fodder for the past three weeks.

Yes, other schools have expressed interest in his services. But according to Brad, it may take an offer of Godfather-like proportions to get him to leave anytime soon.

''Unless something came along that I just could not turn down, I (wouldn't go),'' he said. ''There's really nothing happening.

''We won our first playoff game in over a decade and we were playing football in December, so they're happy with us and we're happy with them.''

On a side note, I think it needs to be said that Brad, believe it or not, is every bit as friendly as he comes across on television. With his son grabbing headlines at UT, it would be very easy for him to take himself too seriously, as some high school football coaches occasionally do.

This is a genuinely nice guy, grounded in his faith, who literally ''walks the walk.''

VWG
02-12-2007, 09:13 PM
McCoy has total control in Graham. He's got a good gig, with a decent athletic program. It would be hard for him to leave unless it was just the perfect situation. If he goes to a higher classification he would probably work under an AD, as most 4A and 5A schools have an AD and the football coach just coaches.
Problem here is that the football coach loses that control over the athletic department.
He also probably knows that if he stays around Graham his youngest son, Case, can continue to play basketball, run track, etc... Not to say he couldn't do that elsewhere, but at a larger 4A or 5A school that would be tough. I wouldn't see Case McCoy on the varsity basketball team at a 4A or 5A school.
McCoy also knows he has a load of talent coming back. He returns his entire offensive line, and a LB who was the district defensive MVP last year.
Graham isn't without $$$ either, they are probably paying him pretty well. I would be willing to bet that he is getting paid more than the average 3A AD/HC.