PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy Named Freshman of the Year

Adidas410s
02-12-2007, 04:18 PM
McCoy honored as Freshman of the Year by the Touchdown Club of Columbus

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/image_lib/mccoy_colt_021007_300.jpg

Colt McCoy, joined here by former Boston Celtic and NBA Hall of Famer John Havlicek, became the third Longhorn to earn the TDC's Freshman of the Year honor.

Texas QB Colt McCoy was honored as the National Freshman of the Year by the Touchdown Club of Columbus (Ohio) at a banquet on Saturday, Feb. 10. McCoy becomes the third Longhorn to be recognized as the TDC Freshman of the Year, joining Major Applewhite (1998) and Vince Young (2003).

"It is a great honor to be awarded the National Freshman of the Year Award by the Touchdown Club of Columbus," said McCoy. "I got a chance to see the list of past winners, not only of the Freshman of the Year Award, but all the awards they hand out, and there were a lot of great football players. It is pretty special to be a part of that group."

McCoy, who was also named The Sporting News' National Freshman of the Year, completed 217-of-318 passes (68.2%) for 2,570 yards (No. 1 on UT's freshman single-season list/No. 5 on the UT's single-season list) and 29 TDs (T-No. 1 on NCAA single-season freshman list/No. 1 on UT's single-season list/No. 6 on UT's career list), while throwing seven INTs. In total, McCoy tallied 2,740 yards of total offense (No. 1 on UT's freshman single-season list/No. 9 on UT's single-season list), while becoming the first freshman quarterback in UT history to win 10 games.

In addition, McCoy was a semifinalist for the 2006 Davey O'Brien Award (nation's top QB) and was also named Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year by the conference coaches and The Associated Press.

Founded in 1956 by the late Sam B. Nicola, the Touchdown Club of Columbus has hosted and honored more than 2,000 of the world's finest athletes, as well as the greatest football players to ever take the field. Athletes are selected each year by the Touchdown Club's committees consisting of coaches, sportswriters and former players themselves.

vet93
02-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Great honor for what appears to be a fine young man! Nice to se a small-town boy do well. Jim Ned is a 2a school near Abilene.

Veritas
02-12-2007, 04:33 PM
just a product of a great system with great talent around him. he is a joke of a talent that will lose his starting position in the near future. This guy has no leadership qualities and will not and can not lead the longhorns to a national title much less a big 12 championship

BEST,
Veritas

Bubba-Joe
02-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Veritas
just a product of a great system with great talent around him. he is a joke of a talent that will lose his starting position in the near future. This guy has no leadership qualities and will not and can not lead the longhorns to a national title much less a big 12 championship

BEST,

Veritas
you are a straight running idiot

Maroon87
02-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe

Yup.

Gobbla2001
02-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Veritas...... kinda sounds like a disease... must make you a straight runnin' idiot ha

Snyder_TigerFan
02-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe

Yep, I agree. Not much has come out of those 10 posts of his...see (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/search.php?s=&action=finduser&userid=7117)

JasperDog94
02-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Veritas

BEST,
Veritas Welcome back, Chief. :)

Emerson1
02-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Welcome back, Chief. :)
What was the chiefs second name?

Phil C
02-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Way to go Colt! :clap:

KTA
02-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Veritas they might think im an idiot but ive got to agree with you

RMAC
02-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by KTA_KTA_KTA
Veritas they might think im an idiot but ive got to agree with you

You guys are just saying that because you're from Graham and don't like McCoy. Hell, I don't much care for the guy, but I respect the fact that his son can play football. He's a good athlete and with UT's upcoming class this next year, it wouldn't suprise me in the least to see them win a National Championship within the next 2-3 years.

NDFootball
02-12-2007, 09:14 PM
McCoy is good I give him that but you can't say he would've accomplished as much at a lesser talented school. Texas and USC would probably be the easiest place for any freshman to start at QB because of all the talent on both of those teams. People may disagree and call me an idiot or whatever but that's only because they are Longhorn homers. Congrats to McCoy for this award.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Was their any other fish in the running with him?

Snyder_TigerFan
02-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Was their any other fish in the running with him?

Going out on a limb, but I'd venture to say that they were all Freshman.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Going out on a limb, but I'd venture to say that they were all Freshman.

I know they were freshman, who were the others? Maybe he was in it by himself?:clap:

KTA
02-12-2007, 10:05 PM
You guys are just saying that because you're from Graham and don't like McCoy

WRONG!!! I like Coach McCoy, and I pulled for his freshman son this last season as well, so you can throw that stereo type out the window.

1: hes injury prone
2: he CANT run the zone read very effectivly (hes not going to beat anybody with his legs and if im a DC i MAKE him beat me with his arm because there is no way he is a threat with his feet.
3: like previously stated he had TONS of talent around him, who with jsut a speck of talent wouldnt have SOME success!

kaorder1999
02-12-2007, 10:05 PM
good for him!!!

Emerson1
02-12-2007, 10:10 PM
WRONG!!! I like Coach McCoy, and I pulled for his freshman son this last season as well, so you can throw that stereo type out the window.

2: he CANT run the zone read very effectivly (hes not going to beat anybody with his legs and if im a DC i MAKE him beat me with his arm because there is no way he is a threat with his feet.
3: like previously stated he had TONS of talent around him, who with jsut a speck of talent wouldnt have SOME success!

Did he get hurt in HS alot? I wouldn't call missing 1 game being injury prone.

NDFootball
02-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Did he get hurt in HS alot? I wouldn't call missing 1 game being injury prone.

He has already suffered 2 injuries in one season though. He would've been out longer than one game if he hadn't had the entire 3-4 weeks before the bowl.

Emerson1
02-12-2007, 10:23 PM
He suffered 1 injury then played a game at %50 and re-aggravated it.

NDFootball
02-12-2007, 10:35 PM
He suffered 1 injury then played a game at %50 and re-aggravated it.

Not real smooth on his part was it?

Emerson1
02-12-2007, 10:37 PM
ND should have to win a bowl game this century before being able to talk about any other team or player.

NDFootball
02-12-2007, 10:46 PM
ND should have to win a bowl game this century before being able to talk about any other team or player.

:clap: good oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :rolleyes:

says the fan of the team that lost to TAMU and Kansas State...real football juggernauts....oh yeah and got by the monsters known as Iowa and Texas Tech by the skin of their teeth. Good luck in the future with the reincarnated Chris Simms as your QB.

RMAC
02-12-2007, 10:49 PM

"McCoy, who was also named The Sporting News' National Freshman of the Year, completed 217-of-318 passes (68.2%) for 2,570 yards (No. 1 on UT's freshman single-season list/No. 5 on the UT's single-season list) and 29 TDs (T-No. 1 on NCAA single-season freshman list/No. 1 on UT's single-season list/No. 6 on UT's career list), while throwing seven INTs. In total, McCoy tallied 2,740 yards of total offense (No. 1 on UT's freshman single-season list/No. 9 on UT's single-season list), while becoming the first freshman quarterback in UT history to win 10 games."

Well I guess more teams should've run the zone read then huh? I'll take any guy that puts up these numbers for his first season of play and still missed a game. I'll take it any day. Did he have talent around him, uh, yeah, they DID win the NC the year before; they must be doing something right in Austin. But you can't make the arguement that he can't run the zone read. Obviously he was doing something right. And injury prone? One game is not injury prone. It's football. People get hurt. How about Willis McGahee? Remember that name? He tore every ligament in the same knee his sr. year right before he was slated to be a top 5 pick. Guess what, he's in the NFL now. Getting hurt for one game doesn't make you injury prone, so you can't play that card either.

Adidas410s
02-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
:clap: good oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :rolleyes:

says the fan of the team that lost to TAMU and Kansas State...real football juggernauts....oh yeah and got by the monsters known as Iowa and Texas Tech by the skin of their teeth. Good luck in the future with the reincarnated Chris Simms as your QB.

The pounding by Michigan AT HOME and having to come back from 31 down to be a bad Michigan State team isn't saying much for the gold dommers either! ;)

Emerson1
02-12-2007, 11:05 PM
And I can't believe Texas only got 10 wins this season for the 7th year in a row. How pathetic, why is Mack Brown still there?

I will take this "reincarnated" Chris Simms over a QB who never won a bowl game and never beat USC.

NDFootball
02-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
The pounding by Michigan AT HOME and having to come back from 31 down to be a bad Michigan State team isn't saying much for the gold dommers either! ;)

17 not 31 nice try though. By the way what's a dommer? Mich. St. may not be the best football team in the nation but they would beat the pants off K State and some of the other powder puffs UT plays every year...

But sure Emerson take your QB. Have fun watching UT underachieve again and again, just like before VY ;) Maybe you won't have to wait another 30 some odd years like last time before your team wins another NC.

Emerson1
02-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Cupcakes? I guess service academies are good at football now.

How is getting 10 wins the past 7 seasons underachieving?

bulldogman06
02-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Its not underachieving, I believe what he is thinking is getting over a hump. Im not agreeing or anything, but say yall did not win the NC last year. would you not be disappointed to have that many good seasons and no NC?

NDFootball
02-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Cupcakes? I guess service academies are good at football now.

How is getting 10 wins the past 7 seasons underachieving?

They are for sure alot better for Rice and Baylor...oh yeah and Sam Houston St. :thinking:

Emerson1
02-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
Its not underachieving, I believe what he is thinking is getting over a hump. Im not agreeing or anything, but say yall did not win the NC last year. would you not be disappointed to have that many good seasons and no NC?
Depends on how the NC was lost.

bulldogman06
02-13-2007, 06:34 PM
say you didnt even make it, you lost one game that year like in the past, say to OU. wouldnt that make you mad even though yall had great years consistently?

KTA
02-13-2007, 06:36 PM
mark my words Harris or Chiles will eventully beat out Colt. Hes not accurate with the deep ball, and CANT run the zone read...bash all you want....Just watch

Emerson1
02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't doubt it.

I do doubt the zone read being ran anymore. Greg Davis I think is the only person on the team who wants to run it with Colt.

Emerson1
02-13-2007, 06:40 PM
(hes not going to beat anybody with his legs and if im a DC i MAKE him beat me with his arm because there is no way he is a threat with his feet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8VC_Ry4hxs8
go to the :35 mark :D :D

vet93
02-13-2007, 06:55 PM
I am an Aggie fan so you can't exactly call me a homer...there are freshman quarterbacks every year who are surrounded by great supporting casts every year and few have put up numbers like Colt. He is no VY...but who is? His running skills are better than you think and he is a better athlete than many think. He may not be a vocal leader, but he leads by example and has a great attitude. Don't underestimate him...he may be more like a quiet Major Applewhite....still effective enough to win alot of games and maybe even the big one if things go well. Texas' offensive problems were, in my opinion, more related to an inconsistent running game which should have been MUCH better with the talent they had on the line and backfield. They also under-performed on defense...had those two areas peaked instead of regressed...UT might have been playing for a NC this year...none of that was Colt's fault. Let me reiterate...he is no VY...but I would take his kind any day.

carter08
02-13-2007, 07:00 PM
So???

A&M still beat tu. Thats all that matters

Emerson1
02-13-2007, 07:09 PM
and Crandall beat Forney in 1999. Doesn't change the fact that the record is still 53-1-1

Cameron Crazy
02-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I think he deserves it played pretty well this year, under that much pressure!