PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Williams to Rangers??

mr.leopard man
02-10-2007, 12:52 PM
He declined Yankees offer.. he could probably help.. and maybe dh/and play some outfied.. i know he is 38 but he hit almost 290 last year and a switch hitter..so if he can help and not too much salary why not? Sosa .. Williams.. Lofton all in the upper 30's :thinking:

SintonFan_inAustin
02-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by mr.leopard man
He declined Yankees offer.. he could probably help.. and maybe dh/and play some outfied.. i know he is 38 but he hit almost 290 last year and a switch hitter..so if he can help and not too much salary why not? Sosa .. Williams.. Lofton all in the upper 30's :thinking: it could get to crowded in DH role if u add bernie, but if price is right they might give it a try.

charlesrixey
02-10-2007, 01:08 PM
i would take him for less than 2 million, since he does bring a lot of experience to a younger team (albeit one that is growing old rapidly).

of course, we need pitching more

is anybody pissed off that they are neglecting elite pitching for the 40th year in a row? i would rather be the dodgers with no hitting than the rangers of the past with no pitching

Txbroadcaster
02-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i would take him for less than 2 million, since he does bring a lot of experience to a younger team (albeit one that is growing old rapidly).

is anybody pissed off that they are neglecting elite pitching for the 40th year in a row? i would rather be the dodgers with no hitting than the rangers of the past with no pitching

And once again..who would they get? They did not neglect pitching..they went after Zito, and Mulder..both turned them down.

Keith7
02-10-2007, 01:33 PM
the Rangers are currently working on contract extensions with Texeira and Mike young right now, and probably are happy with the group of players they have right now. I don't see them signing anyone else unless a good starting pitcher comes up..

and speaking of pitching, I'm happy with the free agent starters they have pursued over the last few seasons.. Sure the only big name one they have pulled in was Millwood, but they were rumored to be the highest bidder in the Zito chase, and they were willing to give Mulder anything he wanted. So its hard to say that the Rangers havn't gone after elite pitching, because they have to the best of their abilities.. Its just hard to get a pitcher who would be excited about pitching in the ballpark

Macarthur
02-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

txbroadcaster is right. They did go hard after those "elite" pitchers. And for the record, they have in the past at times also. I would have liked to had Zito, but the Giants paid way too much money for him.

If Mcarthy is as advertised, the Rangers could have a very solid rotation top to bottom.

As for Bernie Williams, I'm not interested. I think his tank is empty. I would rather give those at bats to Jason Botts and see if he's got a future.

crzyjournalist03
02-10-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't think Williams has any interest in continuing his career elsewhere. Despite my disdain for the Evil Empire, I've always respected Bernie. I really think that if he doesn't get a better offer from the Yankees, he's more than happy to hang up his cleats and move on.