PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer finally sets "0" week opponent

lostaussie
02-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Gilmer to play Louisiana team in 2007...

Buckeyes set first football opponent
By: Joe Dodd

For the second straight season, the Gilmer Buckeyes will open the football season with an out of state opponent. The Richwood Rams from Richwood, Louisiana will visit Buckeye Stadium on Friday, August, 31. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Last season the Buckeyes defeated Las Vegas Bishop Gorman 56-14 in the East Texas Football Classic in Tyler.

The Classic has moved from week zero to week one, and the Buckeyes are scheduled to visit back-to-back state champion Tatum in week one.

Richwood High School, with an enrollment of 783 students, is located five miles south of Monroe, Louisiana. The Rams went 8-5 last season, losing in Louisiana’s Class 3A state semi-finals.

Gilmer head coach Jeff Traylor has not seen any tapes of the Rams, but has talked to other coaches who have. “I know they are very, very athletic,” said Traylor. “I’ve heard they are incredibly talented, incredibly fast. They sound a lot like Liberty-Eylau and Tatum. That’s why I wanted to play them.”

The game will mark the debut of the Buckeyes’ new field house located north of the stadium; and Gilmer will try to improve on their 20 game home winning streak. The last time the Buckeyes lost at home was in 2002 to Pine Tree.

JR2004
02-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Too bad more top teams out there won't take games like this and instead opt for a cupcake non-district schedule.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Dont you play the same teams for 2 years? Home and Away?

pirate4state
02-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Awesome....my first game for the new year has been set. :p :p :)

JR2004
02-10-2007, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Dont you play the same teams for 2 years? Home and Away?

Not necessarily. Most of the time yes, but the games that Gilmer setup are somewhat unique since last year's opponent came in from Nevada. Most schools wouldn't and aren't able to do this with their schedule, but it's cool that Gilmer can.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Most schools wouldn't and aren't able to do this with their schedule
why not?

BigTex
02-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Texas realignment is on a two year cycle, as is Louisiana but Texas aligns on even years and Louisiana on odd years. One never knows what district they will be in or how many teams will be in a district. Makes it tough scheduling. Schools risk missing out on a game in the second year of your state's cycle if the other school's schedule prohibits it.