PDA

View Full Version : Dodge turns his back on a NT commit

Emerson1
02-08-2007, 06:52 PM
http://reporternews.com/abil/sp_lc_columns/article/0,1874,ABIL_8777_5336660,00.html

He only has 18 commits. No reason why he couldn't honor his commitment.

Keith7
02-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Dodge had 21 scholarships to give.. he had 18 high school recruits sign yesterday and has 3 transfering from other schools, thus he used all 21 of his scholarships.. This guy was offered a spot while dickey was still the head coach

mwynn05
02-08-2007, 07:02 PM
yeah dodge never recruited that guy...

theyoefnshow
02-08-2007, 07:16 PM
what a Summer's Eve product Dodge is....

bobcat1
02-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
what a Summer's Eve product Dodge is....

I agree wholeheartedly. That kid is like a man without a country now. Todd Dodge didn't strike me that way but I should have known, considering his background in college.

thewyliefan
02-08-2007, 08:01 PM
i know the kid he turned that down on persoanlly, and hes a hoss and darn good and i was kinda schocked when i heard that he didnt give it to him. but he already commited some where else at least.

crzyjournalist03
02-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Not a good move to get your college career started...get the media turned against you immediately...

kepdawg
02-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Not a good move to get your college career started...get the media turned against you immediately...

When did the media turn against Dodge? I must have missed that!

crzyjournalist03
02-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
When did the media turn against Dodge? I must have missed that!

not the ENTIRE media...the columnist who wrote the story.

And if the story gets big enough, you'll hear a lot more about it and a lot more of the media saying that it was wrong.

kepdawg
02-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
not the ENTIRE media...the columnist who wrote the story.

And if the story gets big enough, you'll hear a lot more about it and a lot more of the media saying that it was wrong.

Only given that perspective it appears that Dodge could of handled the situation better and could have done a better job informing the player that he no longer had a scholarship. I'm sure it's not the first or last time Dodge has or will do something wrong. Was he wrong in how he handled it? Probably so. Will it get blown out of proportion because of who he is? Probably so.

mwynn05
02-08-2007, 10:23 PM
you guys are acting like a bunch of idiots by some of the things your saying when you don't even know the whole situation...DD signed this kid not dodge you would think the kid would have the common sense to call and make sure the commitment was still good oh yeah....and he signed else where

big daddy russ
02-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
...you would think the kid would have the common sense to call and make sure the commitment was still good...
He did.

Insall and Cooper coach Mike Spradlin repeatedly attempted to contact Dodge to confirm the university's scholarship offer was still in place.
I don't know all the details and this was an op-ed piece, so I'm not ready to castrate Dodge. He was given one month to put together a recruiting class, and not coaching in the NCAA's last year put him even farther behind on the recruiting trail, so he may have just forgot or not had time to call the kid back. It's completely understandable. After all, Dodge had been living out of a hotel for most of the last six weeks.

At the same time, though, this was something that could've been handled better. Maybe it was just a mess-up by Dodge, but a kid's future was riding on what he did.

kepdawg
02-08-2007, 10:35 PM
you guys are acting like a bunch of idiots by some of the things your saying when you don't even know the whole situation...DD signed this kid not dodge you would think the kid would have the common sense to call and make sure the commitment was still good oh yeah....and he signed else where

Did you read the article?

Insall and Cooper coach Mike Spradlin repeatedly attempted to contact Dodge to confirm the university's scholarship offer was still in place.

I have no problem with Dodge not honoring Dickey's offer; however, it sounds like Dodge could have possibly handled it a little better.

mwynn05
02-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Did you read the article?

I have no problem with Dodge not honoring Dickey's offer; however, it sounds like Dodge could have possibly handled it a little better. yeah...a long time ago its been on gmg all day yeah im not sayin he isn't at fault at all but some the things these people are saying are rediculous

kepdawg
02-08-2007, 10:46 PM
yeah...a long time ago its been on gmg all day yeah im not sayin he isn't at fault at all but some the things these people are saying are rediculous

I can live with that. I don't want to take Dodge off the hook, but I don't see how the kid couldn't get a hold of someone in the athletic department that could help him.

mwynn05
02-08-2007, 10:53 PM
I can live with that. I don't want to take Dodge off the hook, but I don't see how the kid couldn't get a hold of someone in the athletic department that could help him. im just sayin when you get to college your expected to be an adult...if your not gonna be in class its a good idea to call or email your teacher...if you have a question its your responsibility to get it answered....your not babied....this kid is dealing with a college hes gotta make the effort to check in on these things especially when you KNOW there is a coaching change...they might baby you in high school but i know at unt they dont baby you....this kids parents also failed him i know my mom would have had me calling and making sure i still had my scholarship when they changed coaches

kaorder1999
02-08-2007, 11:26 PM
This happens all the time. Thats the tough part about committing early. Committing early does get that monkey off your back but this can also happen. When their is a change at the head coaching position, this happens. It happens every year. Todd Dodge is not obligated to honor spots that Darrell Dickey put aside for his recruits and I guarantee there is more to this story then a columnist in Abilene, TX knows about.

kaorder1999
02-08-2007, 11:35 PM
dont get me wrong...is it fair to the kid...of course not.

Keith7
02-08-2007, 11:39 PM
this is just a local columnist who seems to have taken this personally.. this happens all the time, do you think Nick Saban took all of the players that Shula recruited at alabama? or Charlie Weis take all of Notre Dame? no when a coach takes over a school he wants to get players there that will fit into his system.. Dickey's offense was a power run offense and he liked depth in his offensive line, Coach Dodge wanted to get alot of skill players to run the spread offense that he runs, and linebackers because we lost a few to graduation..

thewyliefan
02-08-2007, 11:56 PM
maybe the guy just needed a story to write....sooo he found one. it looks like everyone is turning on the columist now haha. its the media they always blow things out of the water more than it needs to be.

and i still think taylor should be going to unt instead of somewhere else

dogdad
02-09-2007, 12:32 AM
it doesn't matter much what we think of Dodge's handling of the situation, but Dodge needs to be sure he doesn't get a bad reputation with the high school coaches in recruiting issues. Those guys have very long memories. They never forget if they think they got screwed by someone. They never forget.

mwynn05
02-09-2007, 01:00 AM
even if it does hurt him if its just in abilene where it hurts him it wont matter because there isn't that much talent out there compared to the talent in a 40 mile radius of denton

clemsmarina
02-09-2007, 09:00 AM
So, since he's not going to UNT, where is he going?

Bubba-Joe
02-09-2007, 09:06 AM
even if it does hurt him if its just in abilene where it hurts him it wont matter because there isn't that much talent out there compared to the talent in a 40 mile radius of denton
Really lets see the Ind. Colts who just won the Super Bowl had 2 players from that area out there Justin Snow and the leading rusher Rhodes
How hard would it have been for Dodge to return a phone call, explain to the kid what was going on with the situation, maybe call a coaching friend to get the kid a visit.
Bad move on Dodge's part, not a good PR move. But maybe the only kids he wants come from a 40 mile radius of Denton.
That Benson kid that plays for Chicago- wouldn't have been on his radar
neither would a kid like Colt McCoy, neither would a kid like Tommie Harris (Chicago Bears-Killeen) or even Drew Brees (N.O. Saints by way of Westlake)
NAWWWW just recruit kids from 40 miles around Denton - that way you are making all the folks there happy

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
Really lets see the Ind. Colts who just won the Super Bowl had 2 players from that area out there Justin Snow and the leading rusher Rhodes
How hard would it have been for Dodge to return a phone call, explain to the kid what was going on with the situation, maybe call a coaching friend to get the kid a visit.
Bad move on Dodge's part, not a good PR move. But maybe the only kids he wants come from a 40 mile radius of Denton.
That Benson kid that plays for Chicago- wouldn't have been on his radar
neither would a kid like Colt McCoy, neither would a kid like Tommie Harris (Chicago Bears-Killeen) or even Drew Brees (N.O. Saints by way of Westlake)
NAWWWW just recruit kids from 40 miles around Denton - that way you are making all the folks there happy

Todd Dodge isnt going to recruit to make anyone happy. Todd Dodge is going to recruit to get the players set in place there that he can win with. He owes that to the University. Darrell Dickey should have been the one to make for darn sure that kid got contacted if he was his only commit. And nobody on this board knows what process the University or Dodge went through to try to contact this kid.

Bubba-Joe
02-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Todd Dodge isnt going to recruit to make anyone happy. Todd Dodge is going to recruit to get the players set in place there that he can win with. He owes that to the University. Darrell Dickey should have been the one to make for darn sure that kid got contacted if he was his only commit. And nobody on this board knows what process the University or Dodge went through to try to contact this kid.

But is he going to ONLY RECRUIT players who come from an area of 40miles around Denton
Dickey was fired, the UNIVERSITY had offered the kid a scholarship Right?
the new coach as a common decency should have at least called the kid, if he had this whole deal would not have even come up, Now that it has Dodge weather you support him or not has a crediabilty issue with some folks- how hard is it to make a phone call?
Pick up the phone, hey we are not going to give you a scholarship - sorry hope you have a nice life.

Keith7
02-09-2007, 09:23 AM
But is he going to ONLY RECRUIT players who come from an area of 40miles around Denton
Dickey was fired, the UNIVERSITY had offered the kid a scholarship Right?
the new coach as a common decency should have at least called the kid, if he had this whole deal would not have even come up, Now that it has Dodge weather you support him or not has a crediabilty issue with some folks- how hard is it to make a phone call?
Pick up the phone, hey we are not going to give you a scholarship - sorry hope you have a nice life.

how hard is it to use common sense? This kid had to wonder, "hmm there is a new coach at the school I am committed to, he doesn't seem to have any interest in me, maybe i should be looking elsewhere"..

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
how hard is it to use common sense? This kid had to wonder, "hmm there is a new coach at the school I am committed to, he doesn't seem to have any interest in me, maybe i should be looking elsewhere"..

my exact thoughts...this is nowhere as bad as a school not honoring a commit even though there hasnt been a coaching change. That happens VERY OFTEN!!

Bubba-Joe
02-09-2007, 09:29 AM

The kid aint the one who is going to have the PR problem, Dodge does now, when all he had to do was return a phone call which would have taken all of what 5 min.
You think by now Dodge wishes he would have picked up the phone and call the Cooper field house?
Dodge: Coach Spradlin please
Spradlin: Speaking
Dodge: Hey coach how you doing, hey your big Lineman that Dickey recruited, just wanted to let you know we here at North Texas are going to let him look at other colleges, I need his scholarship for a wide out that is graduating from Southlake, you understand no hard feelings.
Spradlin: yes coach I understand - Thanks for the call I will let him know

No article - no problem

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 09:45 AM
I really feel bad for this kid, not fair...

but I also feel bad for this idiot columnist...

(while reading the following, keep in mind that this is the only article I have read on the situation)...

It was mentioned he tried to contact Dodge... it was not mentioned that any messages were left for Dodge... hell, did Dodge even know about the kid before the call? He had a verbal commit, VERBAL... nothing was SIGNED...

You'd think he would have been notified by the athletic department...

No, he didn't want to talk with him.

No, he didn't want to come see him.

No, he didn't care that Insall's was the only commitment he had on his desk.

No.

Coach, that's not right.

Didn't want to talk with him? about what? he didn't want the kid on his team... not because he sux or because his underarms stink and he'd be a distraction, but because he knew the guys he wanted...

didn't want to come see him? see him for what? "Hey, thought I'd come meet you in person and say that I, the NEW coach am not honoring your scholorship (that you don't even have yet)... nice meeting you!"???????????

Insall was the only commitment on Dickey's desk not Dodge's as far as we know...

this story is full of a bunch of holes...

poor kid and poor columnists... they're both not well...

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Spradlin did finally get in touch with Dodge

who's to say that when he finally did get in touch with Dodge it wasnt Dodge that called him.

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 09:50 AM
nm

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 09:52 AM
who's to say that when he finally did get in touch with Dodge it wasnt Dodge that called him.

Right?

this story is very bad I think...

not saying I could do any better, but if I'm gunna attempt to destroy someone's character in a paper that actually has readers, I'm gunna make sure I'm not an idiot first...

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 09:52 AM
The kid aint the one who is going to have the PR problem, Dodge does now, when all he had to do was return a phone call which would have taken all of what 5 min.
You think by now Dodge wishes he would have picked up the phone and call the Cooper field house?
Dodge: Coach Spradlin please
Spradlin: Speaking
Dodge: Hey coach how you doing, hey your big Lineman that Dickey recruited, just wanted to let you know we here at North Texas are going to let him look at other colleges, I need his scholarship for a wide out that is graduating from Southlake, you understand no hard feelings.
Spradlin: yes coach I understand - Thanks for the call I will let him know

No article - no problem

I wouldnt classify ONE article by a guy in Abilene as being bad PR for Todd Dodge that would do anythign to his reputation. Next Spring, coaches from all around the state and some outside Texas will still be picking up their phones trying to get some of their players to Denton.

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Turns out it was all Deon Sanders' fault... he trying to get him into prep school... :p

Phil C
02-09-2007, 10:23 AM
I bet Coach Mack Brown would have honored the scholarship.

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 10:24 AM
mack brown is in a situation where he can afford some "PR" moves. Todd Dodge isn't. He needs to win and win fast to keep his job!

Bubba-Joe
02-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

He would
see the story on Westlakes Matt Nader

No need to wonder what Mack would do
and I say this as a full time Aggie fan
hater of longhorn
Mack Brown is all class

Bubba-Joe
02-09-2007, 10:27 AM
mack brown is in a situation where he can afford some "PR" moves. Todd Dodge isn't. He needs to win and win fast to keep his job!

are you saying that Dodge is only going to be at North Texas a short while?
seems like if he was looking to move on he would be very careful to make all the right PR moves

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

I dunno about that one... a scholorship for a Center??? That's all he'd be able to play on the team most-likely... if he didn't pan-out what would you do?

Maybe a Receiver or something, because then he could play special teams a lot etc...

BUT Center?

nah

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I can appreciate the columnist having a hometowner kid's back... but to go as far as he did while only attacking the "feelings" side of the story and not the hardcore "facts" side is pretty ammature...

Bubba-Joe
02-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I dunno about that one... a scholorship for a Center??? That's all he'd be able to play on the team most-likely... if he didn't pan-out what would you do?

Maybe a Receiver or something, because then he could play special teams a lot etc...

BUT Center?

nah

Matt Nader will NEVER play any position for the Longhorns or anyone else
yet Mack Brown has him on Scholarship

Saw em Off
but you have to admire Mack Brown
Todd Dodge aint no Mack Brown
not by a long shot

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 10:32 AM
are you saying that Dodge is only going to be at North Texas a short while?
seems like if he was looking to move on he would be very careful to make all the right PR moves

Todd Dodge will keep his job based on wins-losses. Not PR. In highschool its the opposite. It's all about who you keep happy along with wins-losses. In college football if you don't win, you dont stay. Darrell Dickey was a great PR man...that didn't keep North Texas from removing him.

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Matt Nader will NEVER play any position for the Longhorns or anyone else
yet Mack Brown has him on Scholarship

Saw em Off
but you have to admire Mack Brown
Todd Dodge aint no Mack Brown
not by a long shot

okay I can see that... but that was out of respecting a kid who lost his chances... UNT dude still has chances...

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
mack brown is a super PR guy. If he wasn't winning would people be saying he should keep his job because he honored the scholarship of a player who couldn't play anymore due to an illness. NO! If he doesn't win, he's removed.

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 10:35 AM
okay I can see that... but that was out of respecting a kid who lost his chances... UNT dude still has chances...

exactly...this kid will play somewhere next year. The kid that Mack gave the scholarship to will not play ever again!

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 10:39 AM
as a former journalist I ask myself the following about this article.....

1) Where are comments from Todd Dodge? Did he seek them?

2) What about a spokesperson from the University of North Texas?

3) What about the Athletic Director of UNT?

Though I understand in an editorial piece that rarely happens, I would make sure I've done all the research I can before calling someone out on their character or integrity

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I would like to suggest that the mods discuss opening a new message board on our lovely forum here, called the "I Wanna Cry: Life's Not Fair" board... I would also like to suggest that you guys close threads and ban people at that message board to remind them that "Life's not fair"...

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 10:41 AM
as a former journalist I ask myself the following about this article.....

1) Where are comments from Todd Dodge? Did he seek them?

2) What about a spokesperson from the University of North Texas?

3) What about the Athletic Director of UNT?

Though I understand in an editorial piece that rarely happens, I would make sure I've done all the research I can before calling someone out on their character or integrity

Exactly...

Go Dragons!!!

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I would like to suggest that the mods discuss opening a new message board on our lovely forum here, called the "I Wanna Cry: Life's Not Fair" board... I would also like to suggest that you guys close threads and ban people at that message board to remind them that "Life's not fair"...

in all honesty I believe that though life is not fair that it should be made fair when possible...

I also believe in replying to my own replies... because I'm lonesome like that :nerd:

Ranger Mom
02-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I haven't read all of these posts, so this may be neither here nor there.

Dawson Wilber had a scholarship to New Mexico State. He was hurt in the last game of his high school season and had to have knee surgery, NM State still wanted him. The head coach left and a new one came in, they STILL wanted him.

He started having problems his second year with his back, found it was some problems with the disks in his back, was told he could never play football again.

NM State honored his scholarship and put him coaching the scout team.

I thought they showed lots of class myself!

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Dawson Wilber had a scholarship to New Mexico State. He was hurt in the last game of his high school season and had to have knee surgery, NM State still wanted him. The head coach left and a new one came in, they STILL wanted him.

He started having problems his second year with his back, found it was some problems with the disks in his back, was told he could never play football again.

I like that stuff...

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I know what will help this kid get on at UNT...

a sledge hammer and big enough you-knows to ram that sucker full-speed into your knee...

then Dodge will follow suit and let the injured kid hop-on...

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

the thing is though this kid will still be playing football somewhere next year if he wants to. These other kids will never play again and honoring their scholarships was a VERy honorable thing to do. Different situation then this though!

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 10:57 AM
the thing is though this kid will still be playing football somewhere next year if he wants to. These other kids will never play again and honoring their scholarships was a VERy honorable thing to do. Different situation then this though!

and also it is showing thanks for chosing them... they chose to play for that coach and he chose to honor the kid...

vet93
02-09-2007, 11:06 AM
The point in this whole story is not that hard decisions have to be made in big-time DI athletics...the point is that Dodge should have made contact and let the kid know. It is his program and responsibility to do so. To try and put this PR problem off on the kid is wrong. Dodge is in the position to be the initiator of all scholarship decisions and should have let the kid know that he was going a different direction. It would have been the right thing to do...don't tell me that something in the back of his mind wasn't telling him "You know, I need to give this kid a call because we won't be needing him..." Let's quit trying to explain this away by telling everyone that they (the kid) should have been an adult and this is big-time athletics...sometimes things need to be done just because it is the right thing to do.

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by vet93
The point in this whole story is not that hard decisions have to be made in big-time DI athletics...the point is that Dodge should have made contact and let the kid know. It is his program and responsibility to do so. To try and put this PR problem off on the kid is wrong. Dodge is in the position to be the initiator of all scholarship decisions and should have let the kid know that he was going a different direction. It would have been the right thing to do...don't tell me that something in the back of his mind wasn't telling him "You know, I need to give this kid a call because we won't be needing him..." Let's quit trying to explain this away by telling everyone that they (the kid) should have been an adult and this is big-time athletics...sometimes things need to be done just because it is the right thing to do.

but also...a point some of us are trying to make is from reading this story you can tell that not all facts are presented. Was Dodge aware of the fact that the kid was offered? When the Cooper Coach finally "got in touch" with Dodge, who called who? Those are facts being left out of this story. If Dodge made no effort whatsoever then year...thats not a good thing? BUt what if the University told Dodge they would handle it? What if this what if that? We dont know all the facts and I refuse to question Dodge's integrity or character from one article written by a reporter in Abilene, Tx

theyoefnshow
02-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I was going to point out the Nader/Longhorn situation myself because Mack could've very easily pulled the plug. Hmmmm......wonder if this would've happened had the kid been from SLC OR if there will a SLC player that takes this kid's spot.....

Keith7
02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by vet93

remember that Dodge didn't take over the job until Carroll won the state title.. and In 3 weeks TD put together a staff and the logged ove 35,000 miles, 300 in school and home visits 18 days on the road, more than 40 recruits made official visits in 3 weekends... From what it sounds like, things got pretty hectic from from a coaches standpoint, maybe he just never got the time or never really wanted to worry about it.. I know it sounds bad but he is on the job to protect himself and his job for his future, coach dodge shouldn't have to worry about another's coach's recruits.. if Dickey had 9 1* recruits commited should dodge of had to of honored them all?

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
I was going to point out the Nader/Longhorn situation myself because Mack could've very easily pulled the plug. Hmmmm......wonder if this would've happened had the kid been from SLC OR if there will a SLC player that takes this kid's spot.....

Do you guys not understand that THIS situation and the Nader situation is TOTALLY different?

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Mack Brown had a great commitment in Nader and all of a sudden Nader is told that he can never play football again, not by his own choice! This kid from Abilene will play football again. Mack offered Nader and stuck to his commitment after finding he can never play again.

Dodge has already made some people in Southlake upset because they thought that since Dodge got the job their little johnny boy would be a lock at UNT but Dodge had to make decisions that were best for HIS program. Not Darrell Dickey's.

theyoefnshow
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
No question. But the bottom line is that both kids had their future's set. When you are a highschool kid with the ability to play ball at the next level, you know well in advance and have likely made the preparations for where you are headed next. This kid was probably ready lock, stock & barrel and then...."whoops....uh...our bad. Next."

Bubba-Joe
02-09-2007, 11:20 AM
remember that Dodge didn't take over the job until Carroll won the state title.. and In 3 weeks TD put together a staff and the logged ove 35,000 miles, 300 in school and home visits 18 days on the road, more than 40 recruits made official visits in 3 weekends... From what it sounds like, things got pretty hectic from from a coaches standpoint, maybe he just never got the time or never really wanted to worry about it.. I know it sounds bad but he is on the job to protect himself and his job for his future, coach dodge shouldn't have to worry about another's coach's recruits.. if Dickey had 9 1* recruits commited should dodge of had to of honored them all?

So he was just too busy to call the kid in Ablilene ?
Come on he had recruits on his mind
and somewhere in all that wild recruiting storm he never thought about the ONE kid that Dickey had on the list
Should Dodge have to honor the scholarship NO
would the decent thing to do have been to let the kid know he wasn't honoring the scholarship YES

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
when the caoching change was made before Christmas the kid should have right then began making backup plans for his future. His head coach should have been making back up plans. And if they were doing what this article says and were spending night and day trying to get a hold of coach dodge then they were in the wrong. They should have been researching other opportunities in case it didnt work out at North Texas.

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 11:23 AM
But no doubt about it...its a crappy situation for the kid. Dodge wont be affected by this. The kid will be.

Keith7
02-09-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't see Coach Dickey offering this guy a shot at Utah State

kaorder1999
I don't see Coach Dickey offering this guy a shot at Utah State

great point

kaorder1999
The reporter should be a professional and now write a NEW article...not an opinion piece....and give ALL DETAILS to the situation!

theyoefnshow
02-09-2007, 11:26 AM
But no doubt about it...its a crappy situation for the kid. Dodge wont be affected by this. The kid will be.

*DING DING DING!*
:clap:
We have a winner!

I think that's the point people have been trying to make. First of all, even if Dodge did change his mine, do you really think the kid would want to go there still after Dodge was a complete jerk? Not likely. But at the end of the day, he (Dodge) should've had the class to do things properly and if nothing else, maybe even help the kid get in somewhere else. It's not like there was a whole list of recruits he had to sift through

edited for content :rolleyes:

Bubba-Joe
02-09-2007, 11:26 AM
when the caoching change was made before Christmas the kid should have right then began making backup plans for his future. His head coach should have been making back up plans. And if they were doing what this article says and were spending night and day trying to get a hold of coach dodge then they were in the wrong. They should have been researching other opportunities in case it didnt work out at North Texas.

Your blaming everyone but the man that could have stopped the deal from coming out
Dodge
one phone call
and this is a non issue
one phone call
Todd Dodge messed up even if you hate Abilene reporters or think that there is no talent in Abilene
Todd Dodge could have prevented the whole deal from ever reaching the point where it is now.

Bubba-Joe
02-09-2007, 11:29 AM

you don't think that Dodge will be affected by this situation?
He is right now being affected -- look at all the attention this story is generating

Next year when he starts to recruit across Texas and other places, you don't think in the back of some kids and parents mind that this isn't going to be rolling around
and you can for sure bet that other coaches are going to use this if they find out a prospect they want is being recruited by NTU
the recruiting world is CUT THROAT
it will come up again

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Your blaming everyone but the man that could have stopped the deal from coming out
Dodge
one phone call
and this is a non issue
one phone call
Todd Dodge messed up even if you hate Abilene reporters or think that there is no talent in Abilene
Todd Dodge could have prevented the whole deal from ever reaching the point where it is now.

LET ME TRY TO EXPLAIN THIS FOR THE 1000th TIME. We dont know if Dodge made calls or not. We havent heard from Todd Dodge. We havent heard from anyone at UNT. We dont know if the University tried to contact this family. We dont know if Dodge even knew about the committment considering their was only 1. All we have heard if from this reporter writing an opinion piece. A Division I head football coach in the moth and a half before signing day (when he was hired) is a hard worker. You cannot just call the atheltic office and say "I need to speak to Coach Dodge". It doesnt happen that way. He was out doing his job. We have no idea if the University attempted at all to make contact with this kid or his family.

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 11:33 AM
He is right now being affected -- look at all the attention this story is generating

Next year when he starts to recruit across Texas and other places, you don't think in the back of some kids and parents mind that this isn't going to be rolling around
and you can for sure bet that other coaches are going to use this if they find out a prospect they want is being recruited by NTU
it will come up again

give me a break...no its not going to affect Dodge's recruiting because he wasnt the one who recruited the kid. Will it be in the back of the minds of the kids that if Dodge were fired they might lose their commitment? Of course....but that will be the case everywhere...not just with UNT. Dodge hasn't taken a kid he recruited and has offered and backed out on them like Baylor and many other schools did this year. This was a kid that Dodge DIDN"T recruit and MAY not have even known about. Anybody ever think about that. After he got the job he spent VERY LITTLE time in the coaching office or in Denton. He was out on the road doing his job.

Keith7
02-09-2007, 11:34 AM

it will come up again

this might affect the recruiting out of Abilene Cooper, but overall I doubt many recruits will care.. This is coach dodge's program now and I say let the man do what he pleases, he knows if he is "burning down bridges" and what it can lead to he is no idiot and this isn't his first stint in college football.. Sure it wouldn't have hurt if Dodge took 5 minutes to call and tell him he needed to look elsewhere but it seems like he felt he had more important things to worry about.. is that right? maybe, maybe not that is to be debated and has been, but thats the way he dealt with the situation and thats the way things are going to be, and with that UNT moves on

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 11:36 AM
ive seen this story on two message boards and the Abilene website. Its hardly ruining Todd Dodges credibility.

Bubba-Joe
02-09-2007, 11:55 AM
ive seen this story on two message boards and the Abilene website. Its hardly ruining Todd Dodges credibility.

It sure aint helping his credibility none

and you know for sure the other coaches in the conference are going to bring this up
ONE PHONE CALL
this is a NON ISSUE

Txbroadcaster
02-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Ok the whole it just takes one phone call issue..That is easy to say..BUT like KA said, we dont have ALL the details.

When UNT fired the coach, it was not a pleasant situation, alot of bad blood..who is to say he let anyone know? it is up to the AD to keep those type of things known to new coach in a transition period. Did he?

How do we know Dodge did not try to call? We are getting ONE side of the story.

I am not saying Dodge was not wrong, I am just saying until the FULL story comes to light, I dont think it is fair to automatically place the blame on the new coach

mwynn05
02-09-2007, 12:06 PM
this might affect the recruiting out of Abilene Cooper, but overall I doubt many recruits will care.. This is coach dodge's program now and I say let the man do what he pleases, he knows if he is "burning down bridges" and what it can lead to he is no idiot and this isn't his first stint in college football.. Sure it wouldn't have hurt if Dodge took 5 minutes to call and tell him he needed to look elsewhere but it seems like he felt he had more important things to worry about.. is that right? maybe, maybe not that is to be debated and has been, but thats the way he dealt with the situation and thats the way things are going to be, and with that UNT moves on I really like where the reporter said he tried to contact Dodge and the university about their comment on what happened...wait he didn't......like i said if it ruins getting kids from cooper who cares? theres a lot more talent around here year in year out than that one school will ever produce

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 12:14 PM
another question I have is:

When the coach did finally "get in touch" with Dodge....when was it? Was it recently...was it on signing day? Was it a month ago? When? Maybe it says but Im missing it.

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 06:54 PM
kaorder, mark, terry, keith, we are right...

as I've said and the others have said, this story is full of holes... the only FACT we know is that Dodge did not honor the kids scholorship... the phones calls and the fact that we do not even know if Dodge knew about the kid before-hand leave big holes...

What if Dodge found out about the kid AFTER already offering all of his scholorships?

We have learned a very important lesson from this... that is that if this guy wrote an article about how important it is to jump off a bridge, we'd know why some posters would never end up posting again...