PDA

View Full Version : Black History Month(Since no one has Mentioned it)

Fotbol
02-08-2007, 04:49 PM
One would ask how Africans toiling under the brutal yoke of slavery and discrimination could find the will to invent anything.
Originally published: 2000-02-03 00:00:00

Creators in a Hostile Society

One would ask how Africans toiling under the brutal yoke of slavery and discrimination could find the will to invent anything. This author would point to a well known axiom, Necessity Is the Mother of Invention. These brilliant Africans, for which we have much to be proud of, invented devices that increased the efficiency of the domestic and agricultural fields, found cures for some of the most contagious diseases, and improved the art of carpentry and cabinetry.

Stolen Dreams
The denial of basic human rights to Africans in the Americas makes the fact that we are even aware of the contributions of some of these early inventors a blessing of huge proportions. An African born into slavery could not obtain patents for protecting their inventions. Denied the ability to patent their inventions by law until 1858, African inventors born into slavery had their inventions stolen and often times received no recognition for ever having invented the object of their ingenuity. Even Africans who were considered free men faced enormous obstacles in their attempts to obtain patents. We may never know how many inventions credited to Caucasians were actually invented by their African captives.

Stolen Rights
The Knowledge we have to date of some of the early African inventors stem from the fact that it was not unusual for a slave owner through his greed and/or his belief that he had property rights to the physical and intellectual aspects of Africans to attempt to obtain patents for the invention. Often times these slave owners did not bother to hide the fact that it was one of their African captives who had made the invention.

Balancing the Scales
May the scales of justice and balance one day afford the future generations of these men and women of integrity and ingenuity with the compensation and recognition denied them long ago.

theyoefnshow
02-08-2007, 04:54 PM
I think it's high time for Latino history month. Cinco dee Mayo and Dies y seis just isn't enough. we need a full 30 days damnit!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
I think it's high time for Latino history month.

We also need a German, Czech, Hispanic, and so on Month!!!!!!!!!!

pirate4state
02-08-2007, 04:58 PM
I think the Native Americans want a month too. Let's give everybody a month! :thumbsup:

Who-dun-it!!?
02-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Why is there not a honky history month?

Fotbol
02-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
We also need a German, Czech, Hispanic, and so on Month!!!!!!!!!! They already exits, but none of the above mentioned were forced over hear on boats, and forced to be slaves, the above mentioned came willingly, and broke into the Country.

pirate4state
02-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
They already exits, but none of the above mentioned were forced over hear on boats, and forced to be slaves, the above mentioned came willingly, and broke into the Country. We know, we know.......

The Native American in me wants to scream out that our lands were stolen and so on & so on. Hell, some white guys stole some land from my grandpa. Someone get me my gun!

AP Panther Fan
02-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Since this thread doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of surviving, I will just say that it is a shame that the thread had to be controversial in nature rather than offering tribute.:rolleyes:

Pot stirrer...

FormerBellvilleBrahma
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
Why is there not a honky history month?

Are we going to start the name calling now???????

44INAROW
MAN, MY HANDS ARE GOING NUMB.................:rolleyes:

Phil C
Originally posted by pirate4state
We know, we know.......

The Native American in me wants to scream out that our lands were stolen and so on & so on. Hell, some white guys stole some land from my grandpa. Someone get me my gun!

Hey P4S! What happened to my property!! :eek:

BuffyMars
02-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
They already exits, but none of the above mentioned were forced over hear on boats, and forced to be slaves, the above mentioned came willingly, and broke into the Country.

WTH! Umm...no that wasn't racist and sterotypical!

BuffyMars
02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
This thread is a disaster waiting to happen! :mad:

pirate4state
02-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey P4S! What happened to my property!! :eek: Are you my grandpa? :thinking: :confused:

pirate4state
02-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Since this thread doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of surviving, I will just say that it is a shame that the thread had to be controversial in nature rather than offering tribute.:rolleyes:

Pot stirrer...

Indeed.

Ranger Mom
02-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Slavery was WRONG WRONG WRONG and thank GOD it was abolished.

But GOOD GRIEF....it's over....I have no idea if my ancestors owned slaves or not, but I don't feel the need to pay back for what my ancestors did years and years ago.