PDA

View Full Version : Awesome ESPN article about a texas town!

Funk-d-fied
02-08-2007, 12:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=nazareth

Mace Griffin
02-08-2007, 01:14 PM
gotta love the swifts

Phil C
02-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Awesome story. They won the girls basketball championships in the following years.

1977 to 1981 in Class B

1982, 84, 85, 88, 89, 91, 2000, 2001 in Class A

2002, 2005 in Division 2 of Class A

I noticed that some of the years they won were when Windthorst was state champions in Class A Volleyball. Windthorst might have won state championships in basketball if it hadn't been for Nazareth. They would both have been in the same region so maybe the two best teams were from the same region. It has happened before.

Phil C
02-08-2007, 04:04 PM
The boys basketball team of Nazareth has been successful too. They won state in Class A Division 2 in 2002, 2003 and 2006 as well as Class A in 1986. The boys have been to the state finals ten times.

Nazareth is about 59 miles South of Amarillo. It has a population of 356 people. The school not only has the kids that live in town but I imagine a lot of them are rural kids. It has lots of farming and some ranching around the town. The story made it look like it was a doomed town but the Wikipedia where I got most of the information said that the average family income is about $46,275 and that 95.4% of the people are above poverty level.

I once flew out to a conference in Amarillo in 1997. I had to go alone because my boss had been to Amarillo and didn't want to go again. I went there and we ate at a highly recommended Steak Restaurant. Unfortunately they fed us Bar BQ instead of steak and it was a disappointment. It was good but not as good as we make it in South Texas. Sorry West Texas friends but that is the way it is. Of course I wish they could have fed us the steaks that they were known for.
The next day after a day of classes we went to a ranch and they gave us some good steaks and these were great.
Overall a nice experience indeed. On thing though. As we rode to the ranch and looked at the countryside it reminded me of the area between Sinton and Taft so it was almost like I was near home. Ironic isn't it. Still it was a great trip and I learned a lot at the conference and got to enjoy Amarillo and the surrounding area. The Mayor of Amarillo welcomed us and referred to his area as God's Country and even thought it was great I was glad when I got back to South Texas.

Phil C
02-09-2007, 10:29 AM
ttt for Ad

Adidas410s
02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
ttt for Ad

:thumbsup:

Funk-d-fied
02-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Phil, Amarillo is not "west Texas", sorry but they can make some bar-b-q in "west Texas" that's for sure...

Phil C
02-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
Phil, Amarillo is not "west Texas", sorry but they can make some bar-b-q in "west Texas" that's for sure...

You are correct Funk and thank you for the corrections. Amarillo and Nazareth are actually in the Pan Handle of Texas. I have been to El Paso which is certainly West Texas and have ate some great steaks there also. We went to a ranch when I was at a conference once and they put on an excellent gunfight show for us in which everyone got killed off and they fixed us some great steaks there. They had some left over and I got to eat two! :)
A nice night of eating and entertainment indeed. This was in about 2001 but we didn't get to go to the Solar de la Plaza that time. I did get to see a jail where Billy the Kid broke one of his friends out once and they went back accross the Rio Grande into Mexico making good their escapes.

They also make great Mexican food in El Paso too. And I also got to eat some great Mexican food when we went to the Solar de La Plaza last fall.

sectionCwannabe
02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
great tradition in NAZ. Great Program........:clap: