PDA

View Full Version : HONEST MAN OF THE YEAR: NYC cabbie returns bag of diamond rings

kaorder1999
02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
By VERENA DOBNIK, Associated Press Writer
Wed Feb 7, 11:43 PM ET

NEW YORK - Never mind diamonds- a New York cabbie was a Texas girl's best friend. The driver returned 31 diamond rings he found in his cab after dropping off the passenger, who had left him with a 30-cent tip on a $10.70 fare.

"All my life, I tried to be honest," said Osman Chowdhury, a native of Bangladesh. "Today is no different."

But the 41-year-old cabbie from Queens did have a message: "I'm proud of what I did so that people know New York taxi drivers are honest."

What he did started on Monday evening, when he picked up the woman at a hotel in midtown Manhattan and drove her to an apartment building several blocks away. She gave him $20 to pay the fare and asked for $9 back.

Hours later, at about 10 p.m., three other passengers with luggage discovered the woman's suitcase when Chowdhury popped the trunk open for them.

Chowdhury first drove to the building where he had dropped off the woman. But he had no idea in which of the many apartments she might be and didn't want to cause a disruption by knocking on doors.

He took the suitcase to the Manhattan headquarters of the New York Taxi Workers Alliance, a drivers' advocacy group to which he belongs. He and the alliance president looked inside and found two display cases with 31 diamond rings inside.

"I saw flashing, and I said, 'Oh my God! Diamonds!'" Chowdhury recalled. "I was shocked. I was trembling."

They also found a small luggage tag with a Texas telephone number they called — the home of the woman's mother in Dallas. Meanwhile, she called the number, too.

The woman, who said she was a jeweler, got back the gems on Monday when she arrived at the alliance office around midnight — incredulous at her luck. She offered Chowdhury a reward — a check for $100.

"I cannot take a penny for being honest," he said, but he reluctantly accepted the money to cover the fares he lost while trying to track her down.

He said it never occurred to him to keep the diamonds.

"I'm not going to take someone else's money or property to make me rich. I don't want it that way," said the soft-spoken cabbie, who was a contractor in Bangladesh until he came to the United States 15 years ago.

He does not own a cab but rents one.

"I enjoy my life. I'm satisfied," said Chowdhury, who is single.

He didn't even mind the meager tip.

"I think some people might be broke," he said. "Or they're distracted."

The woman from Dallas asked that her name not be made public.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ww/news/2007/02/08/020807nyccabbiefull.jpg

kaorder1999
02-08-2007, 11:33 AM
I would have thought she would offer him more than a $100 reward!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I would have thought she would offer him more than a $100 reward!

I would have kept the diamonds, screw her and her thirty cent tip.

Phil C
02-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Roses for the cab driver - thornes for the the lucky owner.

BTEXDAD
02-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

thought about that, but I don't have any contacts to convert the diamonds to cash.
I'm married with no girlfriends, so I'd have to give the rings to my wife. Then she'd expect the same thing every year.
Simpler for married man to just give it back, but this guy was single, so I'm not sure what he was thinking.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
thought about that, but I don't have any contacts to convert the diamonds to cash.
I'm married with no girlfriends, so I'd have to give the rings to my wife. Then she'd expect the same thing every year.
Simpler for married man to just give it back, but this guy was single, so I'm not sure what he was thinking.

I would have popped the diamonds out of the rings, melted all of the gold, and found a way to sell all of them.

kaorder1999
02-08-2007, 11:46 AM
if he would have kept them he would have been paranoid as heck for a while. Heck...with all the hidden camera shows and such he might have thought he was being set up!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-08-2007, 11:48 AM
if he would have kept them he would have been paranoid as heck for a while. Heck...with all the hidden camera shows and such he might have thought he was being set up!

Oh well, I would have been stuffing my pockets full of gold and diamonds. :D

Finders keepers.

LH Panther Mom
02-08-2007, 11:49 AM
who had left him with a 30-cent tip on a $10.70 fare.

The woman from Dallas asked that her name not be made public.

Oh, I'm sure she did ask that her name not be made public. She should be embarrassed to say the least. :doh:

pirate4state
02-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Oh, I'm sure she did ask that her name not be made public. She should be embarrassed to say the least. :doh:

the very least :o

44INAROW
02-08-2007, 11:54 AM

that's the 1st thing I would have though of

vet93
02-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Would you really?? I thought aggies do not lie, steal or cheat...nor tolerate those who do.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by vet93
Would you really?? I thought aggies do not lie, steal or cheat...nor tolerate those who do.

It's not stealing, it's finding. :devil:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Typical of a "North Texas" woman to pretty much stiff a cabbie for tip, she SHOULD be embarassed!

I would have given $20, and only asked for $5 back, which would have been a $4 and change tip. That's a lot better than $0.30.

mustang04
02-08-2007, 01:01 PM
she sounds like a cheap-@$$ B**ch....a 30 cent tip...then offering only $100 reward......that is CHEAP..i remember when a friend let me borrow $260 when i was in highschool..well since it took me a week longer to pay him bag than what i told him...i just straight up gave him $300 and said keep the rest for letting me borrow his money and for being patient for me to pay him back...i hate cheap ppl.....

BuffyMars
02-08-2007, 01:11 PM
That really is an amazingly honorable thing he did. Considering he just got stiffed.

Even when I was poor I always tipped at least 2 dollars for everything I did.

It makes you feel good to give to others that are nice and service you well.

--Yeah that sounded bad. :doh:

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
That really is an amazingly honorable thing he did. Considering he just got stiffed.

Even when I was poor I always tipped at least 2 dollars for everything I did.

It makes you feel good to give to others that are nice and service you well.

--Yeah that sounded bad. :doh:

Wow I have never been tipped for servicing u well

BuffyMars
02-08-2007, 01:27 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Shush you!

Thats cause you my...

:D

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Shush you!

Thats cause you my...

:D

HAHAHAHA whatever I rule the house

When u allow me to

BuffyMars
02-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Thats right!

Saying darn straight just doesn't have the same effect!

:tongue:

Actually, I am very lucky...I am treated like a Goddess!:inlove:

BTEXDAD
02-08-2007, 03:14 PM

your comment reminds me of old blonde joke, bbde.

Some years back at Christmas time, the blonde wife is working on getting gifts for all the people she and her husband know and is going overboard. Husband is getting irritated about all the people she wants to give Christmas presents to.
She asks the husband, who works nights, what they should give to the man who delivered milk to their front door, bright and early every morning.
Husband says, "Screw him, give him a dollar."
A few days later he came home from work about 7 o'clock in the morning. Sitting at the table is the milk man and his wife, eating bacon and eggs and wearing only bathrobes. On the table in front of the milk man is a single dollar bill."
"What the hell are you doing?" he asked his blonde wife.
Said the blonde, "You said screw him, give him a dollar. The breakfast was my idea."

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
your comment reminds me of old blonde joke, bbde.

Some years back at Christmas time, the blonde wife is working on getting gifts for all the people she and her husband know and is going overboard. Husband is getting irritated about all the people she wants to give Christmas presents to.
She asks the husband, who works nights, what they should give to the man who delivered milk to their front door, bright and early every morning.
Husband says, "Screw him, give him a dollar."
A few days later he came home from work about 7 o'clock in the morning. Sitting at the table is the milk man and his wife, eating bacon and eggs and wearing only bathrobes. On the table in front of the milk man is a single dollar bill."
"What the hell are you doing?" he asked his blonde wife.
Said the blonde, "You said screw him, give him a dollar. The breakfast was my idea."

But how do you screw thirty cents? :D