PDA

View Full Version : College Bound

Gobbler Fan
02-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Area players sign on dotted line to play football
February 08, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
BY MIKE FORMAN - ADVOCATE SPORTS WRITER

Justin Freeman was sitting among family members and friends in the boardroom at the DeWitt-Lavaca Special Education Cooperative in Cuero when he began to realize what he had accomplished during the last three years and what lies ahead.

"I never thought college football could be a part of my life," Freeman said. "But between my sophomore and junior years I began to perform better on and off the field and I began to see it could be a reality."

Freeman ensured college football will be a part of his immediate future by signing a letter of intent Wednesday to accept a scholarship to the University of Houston. Freeman was one of three Cuero players and a number from the Advocate-area making their commitments official on national signing day.

Cuero's Corey Scott, East Bernard's Derrick Wilson and Rice Consolidated's Brian Williams signed with Texas State University. West Texas A&M got the signatures of El Campo's Lee Orr and James Cannell and Wharton's Jamial Shelton.

Four area players will be leaving the state to attend school and play football. Calhoun's Tyler McAfee signed with Nicholls State in Thibodeaux, La., Cuero's Tre Gray signed with the University of Richmond in Virginia, and Wharton's Thomas Garcia and Rice Consolidated's Nelson Dabney signed with Henderson State in Arkadelphia, Ark.

Freeman a two-year starter on the offensive line for Cuero committed to Houston in October and has never second-guessed his decision.

"Coach (Art) Briles has done a great job and I'm excited to be part of a program that was the conference champions," said Freeman, who was recruited by Houston defensive coordinator and former Victoria High coach Alan Weddell. "It would have been hard to go from a winning program to a losing program."

The 6-foot4, 285-pound Freeman will be given a chance to play as a true freshman at Houston, where he will join former Cuero teammate J.T. Rudd.
Click here to view our website!
"It will just depend on what I do in two-a-days," Freeman said. "I kind of look at it as an achievement. I want to get in the best shape I can and show them what I can do."

Nicholls State is well aware of what McAfee is capable of doing running an option offense. McAfee rushed for 2,334 yards and 42 touchdowns while leading the Sandcrabs to their first playoff appearance in 45 years. McAfee will be the third quarterback to play for Calhoun coach Richard Whitaker to attend Nicholls State.

"The only thing different about them and us is the terminology," Whitaker said of the Colonels' offense. "They run the exact same sets and schemes. It should be a pretty easy transition for Tyler."

McAfee is thankful to get the opportunity to play at the college level, especially at his chosen position.

"I dreamed about it but I didn't expect it," McAfee said. "I hoped it would happen. I'm happy to get a chance to play quarterback. I definitely feel very comfortable and very confident about playing in that offense."

Scott, a wide receiver, Wilson, a running back, and Williams, a defensive back, were happy to become members of Texas State head coach Brad Wright's first recruiting class.

"They made me feel real comfortable," said Scott, who had 62 receptions for 1,027 yards and 10 touchdowns for the Gobblers this season, but wasn't recruited by Texas State until David Bailiff left for Rice and was replaced by Wright. "It's just going to be a matter of adjusting to the speed of the game. I'm going to work on my speed and work on my agility and see what happens when I get there."

Wilson, who rushed for 1,478 yards and 18 touchdowns for East Bernard this season, had originally committed to Tulane, but the school withdrew its scholarship offer after changing head coaches.

"If you go in and meet the head coach and you like him, that's nice," Wilson said. "But you have to take into consideration that he may not be there. You have to think about what would be the best place for you."

West Texas is a long way from Wharton County, but Shelton, Orr and Cannell felt comfortable enough in Canyon to sign with West Texas A&M.

Shelton, who had 57 receptions for 935 yards and 12 touchdowns for Wharton this season, is likely to play wide receiver for the Buffaloes. Orr, who returned two punts and two kickoffs for touchdowns at El Campo this season, could play wide receiver or in the secondary. Cannell played on the offensive and defensive line for the Ricebirds but is likely to play on defense at West Texas A&M.

Dabney is expected to play offensive tackle at Henderson State. He earned second-team all-state honors for Rice Consolidated on the offensive line this season.

Garcia is expected to play linebacker for the Reddies.

Gray had 59 receptions for 924 yards and 14 receptions for Cuero this season and hopes to add to that total at Richmond.

"They looked beyond my size," the 5-11, 165-pound Gray said of the Spiders. "They saw I could play."

Getting the opportunity to play on the college level made Wednesday a very special day for signees in the area.

"When you live in Cuero," Scott said, "this is what you want to do."

Gobbler Fan
02-08-2007, 08:17 AM
A big :clap: to all the area kid's that signed yesterday .

44INAROW
02-08-2007, 09:11 AM
:clap: congrats to all the players and good luck at the next level :)

pirate4state
02-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
:clap: congrats to all the players and good luck at the next level :) ditto