PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone understand the point of a reserve on Ebay?

Keith7
02-07-2007, 04:43 PM
just wondering because if these sellers wanted their item to go for a certain price then why not just start the bidding at that price?

X21AAAPlayer
02-07-2007, 04:46 PM
It's just a cover for some people who are afraid they wont get what they want. Say you have a car that you owe 3000 on and you want to sell it on ebay. You set the reserve for 3000 and it wont be sold below that number. Why don't they set the bids to that number? Well it's easier to attract bidders with a low first bid. If you do this more of them will be watching and bidding on the item and in turn more will bid on it later. Hope this helps!

Bullaholic
02-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
just wondering because if these sellers wanted their item to go for a certain price then why not just start the bidding at that price?

I think a bidder may have the option of taking less than the reserve if they want if it is not met. Some money is better than no money, depending on how much the seller wants to sell the item.

Keith7
02-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by X21AAAPlayer
It's just a cover for some people who are afraid they wont get what they want. Say you have a car that you owe 3000 on and you want to sell it on ebay. You set the reserve for 3000 and it wont be sold below that number. Why don't they set the bids to that number? Well it's easier to attract bidders with a low first bid. If you do this more of them will be watching and bidding on the item and in turn more will bid on it later. Hope this helps!

I got ya so its basically just to attract bidders and to ensure the seller gets the amount he originally wanted.. thanks for the info

olddawggreen
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I usually pm the seller to ask him what his reserve price is. Only once has a seller not told me. I don't want to wastye my time watching an item that is out of my price range and theres no disadvantage to a seller telling what his reserve price is.

Bullaholic
02-07-2007, 04:51 PM

You trying to move all of your Philly Eagles stuff, Keith? :D

Keith7
02-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You trying to move all of your Philly Eagles stuff, Keith? :D

ha not in a million years.. I was actually looking at projectors after seeing Sintonfan's setup. I came across a couple of them that appeared to be cheap but once I tried to bid on them they had a reserve on them. I have been bothered by this question all day, and am still kinda puzzled why ebay has this option, but at least you guys cleared up what ebay's intention was for having the option.. thanks for everyones info

Bullaholic
02-07-2007, 05:00 PM
ha not in a million years.. I was actually looking at projectors after seeing Sintonfan's setup. I came across a couple of them that appeared to be cheap but once I tried to bid on them they had a reserve on them. I have been bothered by this question all day, and am still kinda puzzled why ebay has this option, but at least you guys cleared up what ebay's intention was for having the option.. thanks for everyones info

If you are really serious about bidding on an item, Keith. You might want to look at a piece of software called "Auction Sniper". It will automatically make a bid for you within the last 30 secs or less of a bid closing. Not that you can't manually do the same thing--it justs takes a lot of the "watching" out of the process.

rundoe
02-07-2007, 05:07 PM
I am an ebay seller assistant by trade. You set your price low to garnish interest. This can sometimes get people to bid that normally wouldn't, because your starting price is too high.
You can always email the seller and ask what the reserve is. if they won't tell you , don't buy it.
I know it sopunds weird, but it does work. I have seen items of mine go way over reserve, due to a bidding war started at a much lower price.
It's a tried and proven marketing tenique.

Consider it like this. Walmat says, we cut out prices, big sale. People buy. Who knows if the price was really cut or , just set too high to start with, but it works.

Butkus
02-07-2007, 05:07 PM
If you are really serious about bidding on an item, Keith. You might want to look at a piece of software called "Auction Sniper". It will automatically make a bid for you within the last 30 secs or less of a bid closing. Not that you can't manually do the same thing--it justs takes a lot of the "watching" out of the process. Heck ebay has tha same option. One of those proxy thangs.:thumbsup:

rundoe
02-07-2007, 05:08 PM
I think a bidder may have the option of taking less than the reserve if they want if it is not met. Some money is better than no money, depending on how much the seller wants to sell the item.

You can lower your reserve, but not if bids have been made.

Bullaholic
02-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by rundoe
You can lower your reserve, but not if bids have been made.

You could contact the highest bidder and say ,"sold", couldn't you?

rundoe
02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
If you are really serious about bidding on an item, Keith. You might want to look at a piece of software called "Auction Sniper". It will automatically make a bid for you within the last 30 secs or less of a bid closing. Not that you can't manually do the same thing--it justs takes a lot of the "watching" out of the process.

You dont have to "watch" anything. you just set you maximum bid and ebay does the rest. it will only add to beat the last bid and stops when you reach your max.

rundoe
02-07-2007, 05:11 PM
You could contact the highest bidder and say ,"sold", couldn't you?
no you'll get rommed. its against ebay rules.

rundoe
02-07-2007, 05:12 PM
I have to take todays sales to post office.

Bullaholic
02-07-2007, 05:14 PM
I've bought 2 items on EBay in my life, and sold none. I certainly don't know, so it is good to find out. I not a fan of EBay anymore, however, hard to find a "bargain" these days.

rundoe
02-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I usually pm the seller to ask him what his reserve price is. Only once has a seller not told me. I don't want to wastye my time watching an item that is out of my price range and theres no disadvantage to a seller telling what his reserve price is.

I agree, if he doesn't tell, i smell something fishy.

rundoe
02-07-2007, 06:50 PM
I've bought 2 items on EBay in my life, and sold none. I certainly don't know, so it is good to find out. I not a fan of EBay anymore, however, hard to find a "bargain" these days.

I find bargains daily, and sold thousands of items.

Emerson1
02-07-2007, 07:12 PM
What kind of projector are you looking at?