PDA

View Full Version : Tarleton unity rally encourages diversity

jason
02-07-2007, 04:07 PM
'Find a Way' program counters recent negative publicity on race issues
By Jane Pratt / Special to the Abilene Reporter-News February 2, 2007
STEPHENVILLE - Tarleton State University and the Stephenville community must ''Find a Way'' to make it past recent negative publicity and show that the town can carry on as a culturally diverse and responsible place to live, speakers at a Unity Rally said Thursday.

''Find a way to reunite your hearts with one another so love will see no color,'' said Darrell Brown, a graduate of Tarleton and senior vice president for business development for Town and Country Bank.

''Find a way to continue the open discussions about cultural diversity issues.''

More than 400 students, faculty and community members filled the Barry B. Thompson Ballroom in response to an off-campus party held Jan. 15, on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, at which a group of Tarleton students attended dressed as African-American stereotypes.

Brown urged those in attendance to find a way to repent, to forgive, to respect and love one another, to think positively in every situation and find the good in all people.

''Through great challenge comes great opportunity,'' said student body President Casey Hogan. ''Through the challenge we had last week, we have a great opportunity to come together.''

Applause rose from the crowd when Hogan said the Tarleton community is not going to let the actions of 15 people tell the entire nation what Tarleton State University is about - because the recent publicity paints a false picture.

The event was the beginning of a process of recognizing the diversity of the student body through training, he said.

John Black, representing the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, said basic decisions are being made to restructure Stephenville and Tarleton ''as we know it.'' He said the challenge has given Tarleton people an opportunity to focus on progress being made to rebuild a family environment at the school.

''How can I learn about my neighbor? How can I work with a man I know little to nothing about?'' Black said. ''Ask questions. Talk to ones another. Dialogue is key to any relationship.''

Dr. Wanda Mercer, vice president for student life, made remarks on behalf of the administration and a unity prayer followed.

Battery-operated candles were lighted and held high by those in attendance. The rally concluded with the singing of the Tarleton State University school song.

Abilene Reporter (http://www.reporter-news.com/abil/nw_ed_coll_univ/article/0,1874,ABIL_7950_5322720,00.html)

Tarleton State University (http://www.tarleton.edu/news/)