PDA

View Full Version : Religious question (could get closed)

CenTexSports
02-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I am a middle aged protestant but I am tired of seeing all of the chest thumping and then pointing to the sky after touchdowns, sacks, and the like. Also all of the blantantly public displays of prayer (kneeling in the endzone and praying at midfield after a game).

Don't get me wrong, I am not against prayer or a strong faith but I think these public displays are more self gratifying than displays of faith.

Am I alone in this?

pero chato
02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I think the after-game prayer with players from both teams while the crowd is dispersing is probably sincere. The rest we could do without.

kaorder1999
02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I think this is great!

http://www.siouxfallsstorm.com/photos/gallery/Player%20Praying.jpg

CenTexSports
02-07-2007, 10:03 AM
I don't have any problem with a sincere act of faith and I think teams that want to pray together should. I would just think that the locker room would be a better place.

theyoefnshow
02-07-2007, 10:07 AM
depends on the player and who he is. If the guy is sincere in what he does, then have at it. If he's just doing it for someone to talk about "did you see"...then yeah, it probably shouldn't be done. Though you probably won't get anyone to admit they do it for show. Funny thing, about some of these God hypocrites -- they got The Book, but not the belief.

Phantom Stang
02-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports

Am I alone in this?
Nope

Here's what Jesus thinks about it:
Matthew chapter 6
5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

Phil C
02-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Cen I admire the protestant churches.

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:20 AM
let 'em do it....

kaorder1999
02-07-2007, 10:22 AM
so does that mean that Tony Dungy shouldn't have used his national stage to profess his faith after his super bowl victory?

theyoefnshow
02-07-2007, 10:22 AM
heh...did anyone catch on the National Geographic Channel where they were trying to scientifically prove the 10 plagues in Egypt? Basically stating that everything that happened was completely non-divine, though some of the reasoning was completely off the charts and 1 in a million chance of happening...let alone 10 times in a row. Saying the Red Sea was parted by a tsunami that just "happened" to take place in time for Moses & co.

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
but I do agree that some of the endzone prayers are self-gratifying... but who's to say some aren't?

some of these players have strong walks with God... no, they're not perfect, but God's that friend they talk to in their head all of the time... if they chose to honor him while everyone's looking it's just another form of free-speech to me...

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
so does that mean that Tony Dungy shouldn't have used his national stage to profess his faith after his super bowl victory?

some would say that... now the goal is to get the first muslim coaches against each other in the super bowl... pretty soon NFL owners will HAVE to interview coaches representing every other religion...

Bubba-Joe
02-07-2007, 10:32 AM

Mark 16:15

kaorder1999
02-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe

exactly...my point!

Bubba-Joe
02-07-2007, 10:36 AM
exactly...my point!

also
Mathew 10:32-33

Bullaholic
02-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Any form of post-TD celebration, including prayers, should be allowed in the NFL provided that they do not involve taunting or cross the lines of good taste as generally accepted by our society, or continue too long.

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:38 AM

go into the world and preach the gospel to every creature

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
or cross the lines of good taste as generally accepted by our society,

yah, but to some christianity leaves a bad taste in their mouths...

Txbroadcaster
02-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Any form of post-TD celebration, including prayers, should be allowed in the NFL provided that they do not involve taunting or cross the lines of good taste as generally accepted by our society, or continue too long.

I think the problem is what some consider good taste others do not. I hate the No Fun League and their anti-celebration rules..BUT I understand why they are in place. Instead of worrying about what is acceptible and what is not, they just have blanket rules

Bubba-Joe
02-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Matt 10:32
Omnis ergo qui confitebitur me coram hominibus confitebor et ego eum coram Patre meo qui est in caelis

10:33.
Qui autem negaverit me coram hominibus negabo et ego eum coram Patre meo qui est in caelis

Bubba-Joe
02-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Matt 10:32
Omnis ergo qui confitebitur me coram hominibus confitebor et ego eum coram Patre meo qui est in caelis

10:33.
Qui autem negaverit me coram hominibus negabo et ego eum coram Patre meo qui est in caelis

Translation
Matt 10:32 Every one therefore that shall confess me before men, I will also confess him before my Father who is in heaven.

10:33 But he that shall deny me before men, I will also deny him before my Father who is in heaven.

BuffyMars
02-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I personally want to hear a player speak in tongue after a touchdown....then I would feel right at home!

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
I personally want to hear a player speak in tongue after a touchdown....then I would feel right at home!

I wanna see one score then dance with a rattlesnake in his hands...

CenTexSports
02-07-2007, 11:02 AM
A profession of faith is different than saying "Hey, look what I did and oh by the way......."

I would prefer that they show their faith by living a life that is a Christain example (Tony D) not by making a touchdown or being an idiot(too many to name). Tony D is a great Christain man and I envy his dedication and commitment. He is a credit to football coaches, Christains, his race, and mankind as a whole.

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 11:06 AM
A profession of faith is different than saying "Hey, look what I did and oh by the way......."

like I said, that may be what some are expressing, but we can't say that all are because we do not know, who are we to judge that?...

but when you are in the spotlight, when the whole stadium, nation or world is watching, what better time to express your faith?

Phil C
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
yah, but to some christianity leaves a bad taste in their mouths...

Gobbla I admire the Christian Church.

Phil C
02-07-2007, 11:12 AM

Buffy I admire the pentecostal churches.

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 11:14 AM
I admire Pancakes

Txbroadcaster
02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

Phil C I admire your admiration

vet93
02-07-2007, 11:21 AM
From a Christians viewpoint...any public (or private) act that is done in the name of Jesus should be done to bring glory to God alone...if the motive behind the act was in any way "man" centered then it is unjustified from a spiritual standpoint...the only problem with judging an action either negatively or positively is that only the individual and God no the condition of the heart of the person at the time of the act.

kaorder1999
02-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by vet93
From a Christians viewpoint...any public (or private) act that is done in the name of Jesus should be done to bring glory to God alone...if the motive behind the act was in any way "man" centered then it is unjustified from a spiritual standpoint...the only problem with judging an action either negatively or positively is that only the individual and God no the condition of the heart of the person at the time of the act.

:clap:

Txbroadcaster
02-07-2007, 11:28 AM
:clap:

KA I admire the clapping

BuffyMars
02-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

Yeah I grew up more Assembly of God, but started going to a Southern Pentecostal church when I was 14....but there was really no difference in preaching.

And in case anyone is wondering, I wear make-up and pants! :eek: :devil:

Oh! And my husband and I are equals...:hand:

Our church wasn't like United Pentecostal. ;)

Phil C
02-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah I grew up more Assembly of God, but started going to a Southern Pentecostal church when I was 14....but there was really no difference in preaching.

Buffy I admire the Assembly of God Church.

Phil C
02-07-2007, 11:31 AM

Buffy I admire the Southern Pentecostal Church.

Phil C
02-07-2007, 11:31 AM

Buffy I admire the United Pentecostal Church.

Keith7
02-07-2007, 11:32 AM
who cares? if they pray they pray, if they celebrate so be it.. what does it really matter?

BuffyMars
02-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Phil C you are cracking me up! :D :D :D

Txbroadcaster
02-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Phil C you are cracking me up! :D :D :D

Buffy I admire cracking up

kaorder1999
02-07-2007, 11:36 AM
i admire yalls free time!

BuffyMars
02-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Buffy I admire cracking up

I am about to crack you upside your head! :foul: :tongue:

Phantom Stang
02-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSportsA profession of faith is different than saying "Hey, look what I did and oh by the way......."

I would prefer that they show their faith by living a life that is a Christain example (Tony D) not by making a touchdown or being an idiot(too many to name). Tony D is a great Christain man and I envy his dedication and commitment. He is a credit to football coaches, Christains, his race, and mankind as a whole.

like I said, that may be what some are expressing, but we can't say that all are because we do not know, who are we to judge that?...

but when you are in the spotlight, when the whole stadium, nation or world is watching, what better time to express your faith?
quote:Originally posted by vet93From a Christians viewpoint...any public (or private) act that is done in the name of Jesus should be done to bring glory to God alone...if the motive behind the act was in any way "man" centered then it is unjustified from a spiritual standpoint...the only problem with judging an action either negatively or positively is that only the individual and God no the condition of the heart of the person at the time of the act.
Three very good statements.

Bubba-Joe
02-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by vet93

Matthew 7:1-2

7:1.Nolite iudicare ut non iudicemini

7:2.In quo enim iudicio iudicaveritis iudicabimini et in qua mensura mensi fueritis metietur vobis

Translation

7:1. Judge not, that you may not be judged.

7:2. For with what judgment you judge, you shall be judged: and with what measure you mete, it shall be measured to you again.

BuffyMars
02-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Personally, I never had any desire to learn Latin.

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I admire these pancakes I am about to receive, Amen... (said as I point up to the sky)...

Bullaholic
02-07-2007, 11:50 AM

Well, you have two choices with Bubba, Buffy:

1. Latin

2. West Texas good ol' boy redneck.

Maybe if you are lucky he will speak to you as Bubba. He really likes them gals---especially RM. :D

Butkus
02-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Well, you have two choices with Bubba, Buffy:

1. Latin

2. West Texas good ol' boy redneck.

Maybe if you are lucky he will speak to you as Bubba. He really likes them gals---especially RM. :D Dang bull brother Bubba dont needa see a pikture of Buffy. Hed have one of them heart attacks fur sur.:devil:

Bubba-Joe
02-07-2007, 12:00 PM

Well jest what is it that you do desire Miss Buffy?

Spaceman_Spiff
02-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Its impossible to read the heart of the person doing the celebration. If its for show, its inappropriate.

DU_stud04
02-07-2007, 02:41 PM
I am a middle aged protestant but I am tired of seeing all of the chest thumping and then pointing to the sky after touchdowns, sacks, and the like. Also all of the blantantly public displays of prayer (kneeling in the endzone and praying at midfield after a game).

Don't get me wrong, I am not against prayer or a strong faith but I think these public displays are more self gratifying than displays of faith.

Am I alone in this? i know when i go up to the plate, i bless myself as i step in the batters box, always have. is this something you would be against aswell? just a question of clarification.

BuffyMars
02-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Well jest what is it that you do desire Miss Buffy?

World Peace......... w/o learning a 2nd language.. :D

pirate4state
02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
who cares? if they pray they pray, if they celebrate so be it.. what does it really matter? AMEN!

Can I get a silver boot? :D

pirate4state
02-07-2007, 03:44 PM
I admire these pancakes I am about to receive, Amen... (said as I point up to the sky)...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif

CenTexSports
02-07-2007, 03:45 PM
"i know when i go up to the plate, i bless myself as i step in the batters box, always have. is this something you would be against aswell? just a question of clarification."

As a baptist, I don't understand it but no I don't have a problem with it because it is part of you religion.