PDA

View Full Version : Two 3a head coaches finalists for Bay City

wedo
02-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Walker From La Grange, Mitchell From Sinton Edelman from Red Oak are the 3 Finalists!

I just want to start some gossip early in the morning!!;)

kaorder1999
02-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Ole edelman...he used to be at Kaufman.

pirate4state
02-07-2007, 09:46 AM
that's the word on the street :(

maroonpunt
02-07-2007, 09:53 AM
i hear our head pirate has three interviews set up this week, had one on tuesday and one today and one tomorrow. i hope he gets the one he wants because he is a heck of a coach and a really good man.

SINTON81
02-07-2007, 10:06 AM
If he goes, Sinton is going to lose on heck of a player in his son.

pirate4state
02-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by maroonpunt
i hear our head pirate has three interviews set up this week, had one on tuesday and one today and one tomorrow. i hope he gets the one he wants because he is a heck of a coach and a really good man. i will be sad to see him go, if he does get a better offer, but I don't blame him. We just won't be losing a HC. We will also be losing the opportunity to see his son play in a Pirate uniform. :( Probably also lose some coaches. :weeping:

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm more interested in why Walker wants to scoot out of LG so damned fast...

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:12 AM
and there is not even a bay there...

Johnny Utah
02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
I could be wrong, but is La Grange a bad job? Though La Grange would be a good job. Very nice town. Just wondering.

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
I could be wrong, but is La Grange a bad job? Though La Grange would be a good job. Very nice town. Just wondering.

the coach thought the chicken shack was still in operation... found out it wasn't true and is leaving...

jk... way jk

kaorder1999
02-07-2007, 10:27 AM

i think there was a reason why the last guy left..I think he knew there were tough times ahead talent wise

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:28 AM
dang... we scrimmage La Grange... play Bay City and Sinton... Cuero is involved in this somehow... :thinking:

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i think there was a reason why the last guy left..I think he knew there were tough times ahead talent wise

yah, but they had a damn good season this year, got into the playoffs and all...

kaorder1999
02-07-2007, 10:30 AM
what was their record?

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 10:31 AM
what was their record?

must have been 8-3?? I think they lost to Bellville and Giddings in district, then Sweeny in the first round?

Phil C
02-07-2007, 10:43 AM
i hear our head pirate has three interviews set up this week, had one on tuesday and one today and one tomorrow. i hope he gets the one he wants because he is a heck of a coach and a really good man.

If that is the case someone is bound to get him. Thanks for everything Coach and good luck. Sure hate to not see his son play for Sinton but them's the breaks.

pirate4state
02-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Here is an article that just doesn't bode well for us Sinton fans....

Finalists named for Bay City coach

By Justin Daily
Bay City Tribune

Published February 6, 2007

BAY CITY – Finalists were named Monday and the search for a new athletic director and head football coach at Bay City narrows to three individuals – one of which will be approved and hired on Monday.

Wayne Walker, currently at La Grange , Jimmie Mitchell, currently at Sinton, and Danny Edelman, currently at Red Oak, are BCISD Superintendent Richard Walton’s top three choices for the job.

Walton will conduct interviews this week, then make a site visit to his No. 1 choice on Friday. A special school board meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 12 to approve Walton’s recommendation.

The district received about 75 applications – around 50 fewer than they had four years ago – and only 12 of those were interviewed.

“We only interviewed head coaches. We had such good quality head coaches that we didn’t look at assistant coaches that applied,” Walton said.

At Class 4A Red Oak, Danny Edelman coached the Dallas-area Hawks to a 3-7 season last year. The Hawks went 0-6 in district. In 2005, Red Oak was 0-10.

Walker’s La Grange Leopards were 8-3 last season with a 3-2 district record. They made the playoffs and lost to Sweeny in bi-district. The team was 4-6 in 2005 with a 3-4 record in District 23-3A.

Mitchell also coaches at the 3A level and went 4-7 overall with the Pirates last year. They were 3-2 in district and lost to a tough Cuero team in bi-district. They were 9-1 and 4-0 in 2005.

Both Walker and Edelman have spent just the last two years at their current schools. Mitchell, however, has put in some time at Sinton.

In 2002, Mitchell stepped into the head coach role – from defensive coordinator – after Brent Davis left for a 5A school. He’s spent the last five seasons as the Pirates’ head coach and has taken them deep into the post-season three times.

Mitchell spent four years at Sinton as a defensive coordinator – 1998 through 2001 – and helped coach the Pirates to two regional appearances, a quarterfinal berth and a state title contest in 2001 that they lost to Everman.

During Mitchell’s tenure as head coach, the Pirates made it three rounds deep from 2002 through 2003, losing to Burnet the first two years and Cuero once. Burnet and Cuero ended those seasons as state finalists.

“We were looking for a head coach with experience and success in the playoffs and someone that has gone deep in the playoffs. We want someone who could connect with the community and articulate his plan and do well with the parents and fans,” Walton said.

“We want someone who supports academics and can develop a great junior high and feeder system in all sports. That’s what we’re looking for and all three of these coaches have it. They’re references are outstanding.

“Two of them run spread offenses and one runs a multiple set. They’re easy to talk to and have lots of experience. They’ve all been coaching for a while.”

Sounds like Mitchell fits the bill

Guess we'll know by the end of the week, for sure. *SIGH*

Phil C
02-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Here is an article that just doesn't bode well for us Sinton fans....

Finalists named for Bay City coach

By Justin Daily
Bay City Tribune

Published February 6, 2007

BAY CITY – Finalists were named Monday and the search for a new athletic director and head football coach at Bay City narrows to three individuals – one of which will be approved and hired on Monday.

Wayne Walker, currently at La Grange , Jimmie Mitchell, currently at Sinton, and Danny Edelman, currently at Red Oak, are BCISD Superintendent Richard Walton’s top three choices for the job.

Walton will conduct interviews this week, then make a site visit to his No. 1 choice on Friday. A special school board meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 12 to approve Walton’s recommendation.

The district received about 75 applications – around 50 fewer than they had four years ago – and only 12 of those were interviewed.

“We only interviewed head coaches. We had such good quality head coaches that we didn’t look at assistant coaches that applied,” Walton said.

At Class 4A Red Oak, Danny Edelman coached the Dallas-area Hawks to a 3-7 season last year. The Hawks went 0-6 in district. In 2005, Red Oak was 0-10.

Walker’s La Grange Leopards were 8-3 last season with a 3-2 district record. They made the playoffs and lost to Sweeny in bi-district. The team was 4-6 in 2005 with a 3-4 record in District 23-3A.

Mitchell also coaches at the 3A level and went 4-7 overall with the Pirates last year. They were 3-2 in district and lost to a tough Cuero team in bi-district. They were 9-1 and 4-0 in 2005.

Both Walker and Edelman have spent just the last two years at their current schools. Mitchell, however, has put in some time at Sinton.

In 2002, Mitchell stepped into the head coach role – from defensive coordinator – after Brent Davis left for a 5A school. He’s spent the last five seasons as the Pirates’ head coach and has taken them deep into the post-season three times.

Mitchell spent four years at Sinton as a defensive coordinator – 1998 through 2001 – and helped coach the Pirates to two regional appearances, a quarterfinal berth and a state title contest in 2001 that they lost to Everman.

During Mitchell’s tenure as head coach, the Pirates made it three rounds deep from 2002 through 2003, losing to Burnet the first two years and Cuero once. Burnet and Cuero ended those seasons as state finalists.

“We were looking for a head coach with experience and success in the playoffs and someone that has gone deep in the playoffs. We want someone who could connect with the community and articulate his plan and do well with the parents and fans,” Walton said.

“We want someone who supports academics and can develop a great junior high and feeder system in all sports. That’s what we’re looking for and all three of these coaches have it. They’re references are outstanding.

“Two of them run spread offenses and one runs a multiple set. They’re easy to talk to and have lots of experience. They’ve all been coaching for a while.”

Sounds like Mitchell fits the bill

Guess we'll know by the end of the week, for sure. *SIGH*

I hope they don't get our softball coach. Or at least not until the season is over. :(

pirate4state
02-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I hope they don't get our softball coach. Or at least not until the season is over. :( I think we are okay, Phil. ;)

Gobbla2001
02-07-2007, 06:44 PM
What is Bay City thinking? they're interviewing Norv Turner now... that's stupid...

Pudlugger
02-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Dang! Been out of pocket for a few days and now this? Walker was an assistant coach at Ennis before coming to La Grange. He has done well in two years after the disasterous 2004 season. The Leps went to the playoffs 5 years straight from 1999 to 2003 compliling a 16-4 playoff record with one State Championship, a State Finalist and two Regional finalist teams. However, the talent got thin especially in the offensive line in 2004 when despite a fine defense the Leps could not put more than a couple of scores per game on the board. Many of the 8 losses that year were due to the D getting tired and worn down in the 4th period due to the inability of the O to achieve first downs. Walker came in and completely re-engineered the offense to the spread from the old running attack veer of the Coach Valastro era. Fact was that the frosh and jv had some hosses coming up back then and this past season when they were seniors, the Lep O line was huge and very dominant. They went 8-3 losing to 3 teams that were just plain better but returning the Leps to the playoffs after a two year drought.

I hope Walker stays but I would understand why if he didn't. Next fall the Leps return 8 starters on D but only 2 on O and none on the O line. It could be a reprise of the 2004 season unless some of those younger players step up, hit the weight room in the off season and chew the leather.

The good news is that there are three or four good lineman from the 2006 team that probably could have started at many other 3a schools but had some very tough competition from the 5 starting seniors. Now they will be seniors and hopefully will develop the leadership needed for a young offense.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-07-2007, 06:58 PM
If he leaves. that means another new system?

halfnhalf
02-07-2007, 07:06 PM
That was the biggest problem for the '05 season for La Grange, the offensive line was big, with a good D, good running backs, and pretty good recievers. But just like in '04 the offense lacked and the defense would play almost the whole game, since if you throw three incomplete passes in a row not much time runs out. Anyways, with a new system AGAIN, it would probably be tough this next year for La Grange to put good offensive numbers.

Haunta Yo
02-07-2007, 07:10 PM
...The district received about 75 applications – around 50 fewer than they had four years ago...[/B]

Pretty much tells me that most COACHES realize Bay City ain't the job it once was...things change regardless of what some town people want to believe.

Maybe having a finalist from Red Oak will be an eye opener for the town. (I don't mean any disrespect to the Red Oak coach or what he's done there, but 4 years ago that resume would NEVER have been considered)

18handicap
02-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Coach Walker has his eyes on a AAAA or AAAAA job in his future. I know they were in a spread offense, but they ran the ball out of that set quite a bit -- almost 50% or even more. He is a great person and a great coach and will do well where ever he goes. I really enjoyed working with him.

Pudlugger
02-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
Coach Walker has his eyes on a AAAA or AAAAA job in his future. I know they were in a spread offense, but they ran the ball out of that set quite a bit -- almost 50% or even more. He is a great person and a great coach and will do well where ever he goes. I really enjoyed working with him.

He is a good coach and I hope he stays for the sake of the team. I realize it is in the nature of coaching to always strive to improve and that is why he wants to move up to 4a. However, I'd hope he would stay for at least 4 seasons to get the program going strong and bring up the younger players in the same system.

halfnhalf
02-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Exactly, he is a good coach, but when you change systems that much, it is hard to adapt.

hookandladder
02-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap

Rumor is they really want Walker, might be just up to him to decide if he wants it. We should all know Monday night. I to would hate to see him leave. The kids seem to really like his system.

gato 76
02-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
Pretty much tells me that most COACHES realize Bay City ain't the job it once was...things change regardless of what some town people want to believe.

Maybe having a finalist from Red Oak will be an eye opener for the town. (I don't mean any disrespect to the Red Oak coach or what he's done there, but 4 years ago that resume would NEVER have been considered)

How the guy from Red Oak made it to the final 3,don't know but there were some very good people that put in for that job,Mike Zierline O/C at Lamar Cons.,O/C WOS,and Chad Morris thought about coming back,but he wants to coach in the college ranks,so don't believe that the talent is not there,with the right coach in place we will be back.I leaning for the guy from Sinton.

maroonpunt
02-08-2007, 09:21 AM
reading the article from the bay city paper sure sounds like it is mitchells to lose, is was certainly pro mitchell.

kaorder1999
02-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by gato 76
How the guy from Red Oak made it to the final 3,don't know but there were some very good people that put in for that job,Mike Zierline O/C at Lamar Cons.,O/C WOS,and Chad Morris thought about coming back,but he wants to coach in the college ranks,so don't believe that the talent is not there,with the right coach in place we will be back.I leaning for the guy from Sinton.

Edelman has won before.....he went to Red Oak from Kaufman and won at Whitewright before that.

pirate4state
02-08-2007, 10:09 AM
reading the article from the bay city paper sure sounds like it is mitchells to lose, is was certainly pro mitchell. I agree. The article was very pro Mitchell. :(

kaorder1999
02-08-2007, 10:11 AM
havent yall learned yalls lesson? How pro-Norv was the media around here??

pirate4state
02-08-2007, 10:11 AM
havent yall learned yalls lesson? How pro-Norv was the media around here??

LOL. I'll be the first one happy if the media is wrong on this one. ;)

Phil C
02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
LOL. I'll be the first one happy if the media is wrong on this one. ;)

P4S it won't matter. He is looking. He will be gone soon. If by some miracle we keep him he will be gone next year. Someone will get him.

pirate4state
02-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
P4S it won't matter. He is looking. He will be gone soon. If by some miracle we keep him he will be gone next year. Someone will get him.

:( I know, I know.....*sigh*

I don't plan to stick around much longer so I guess it doesn't matter.

gato 76
02-08-2007, 10:52 AM
What does coach Mitchell son play,was he on jv team last year or on varsity?

pirate4state
02-08-2007, 10:58 AM
What does coach Mitchell son play,was he on jv team last year or on varsity? He is an incoming freshman. He was all over the field in junior high. Sinton81's son played along side him so he has more info.

Haunta Yo
02-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Edelman has won before.....he went to Red Oak from Kaufman and won at Whitewright before that.

My comment was not about Edelamn - it was about Red Oak. Couldn't believe he went to Red Oak in the first place.

gato 76
02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Danny Edelman from Red Oak will be the new hc/ad at BAY CITY

kaorder1999
02-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Danny Edelman from Red Oak will be the new hc/ad at BAY CITY

wow...amazing!

maroonpunt
02-09-2007, 10:50 AM
too bad for our lead pirate if he wants out....we still have one more hurdle....heard he is out again today for a second interview...

Blastoderm55
02-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Figured Mitchell would apply at Miller and Kingsville. Could likely do well at either school, though the Kingsville AD and school board make the position unattractive.

pirate4state
02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
:weeping: :weeping:

I don't want him to leave, but I'm about 98% sure he will leave and go somewhere else, just don't know where.

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

hookandladder
02-09-2007, 03:12 PM

There is nothing wrong with the town or the kids, the main problem with LG is the facilities. The Football, Baseball and Softball fields are embarrassing to say the least. Are old super could care less about our athletic facilities, that is why the job of AD/HC is not as appealing as some other schools. We now have a new Super and he seems ready to start making improvements.
We are happy with Coach Walker and we hope our new Super will start improving our facilities to keep him around. Our facilities has to be one of worst in 3 A. You would think with the shape our facilities are in would be because of money, however our old super just spent over 1/4 millon dollars to resurfaceand old parking lot. Concreted the whole parking lot for probably 15 to 20 cars a day to park in. Go figure.

scotty
02-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Look for Jimmy Mitchell to land in Sealy.

Gobbla2001
02-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I personally believe, though not large, that the La Grange football stadium and field is very nice...

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by scotty
Look for Jimmy Mitchell to land in Sealy.

You sound like you have a inside track? Are you on the search team? I think you are!!!!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by wedo
Walker From La Grange, Mitchell From Sinton Edelman from Red Oak are the 3 Finalists!

I just want to start some gossip early in the morning!!;)

Mitchell could get 2 jobs?

pirate4state
02-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Mitchell could get 2 jobs?

:doh: :doh:

Bay City = finalist, but no go
Sealy = pretty much done deal

FBB = posting like crazy