PDA

View Full Version : Best Texas HS Baseball Players

Bullaholic
02-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Just for P4S and GWood and all the other baseball fans (Pancho?:D ), I'm going to ask the same question about Texas HS baseball players that gets asked about the football players:

Who do you think were the best Texas HS baseball players (softball for girls) who ever played?

Girl-
Boy-

How about by position? :

Pitcher
Catcher
1B
2B
3B
LF
CF
RF
SS

pirate4state
02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
:thinking: EVER, EVER?

Cause you know I'll be a homer and say Adrian :p

I'll have to think about this......:thinking:

halfnhalf
02-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Homer Bailey

BMOC
02-06-2007, 11:25 AM
That kid in Snyder, Lance Day.

Hannibal
02-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Better than Jaime? Don't know about that one.

Bullaholic
02-06-2007, 11:53 AM

If you honestly think he was the best, that is not being a homer.

pirate4state
02-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Hannibal
Better than Jaime? Don't know about that one. It has been debated & debated, but yes as far as all around baseball player I think he is/was better than Jaime.

GWOOD
02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Bull,

I'm sure there are a lot of standouts but I can't think of many. The two that come to mind are

David Clyde, Class of '73 - Texas Ranger #1 pick but was a bust at the Major league level. At the time, he had several national pitching records at the high school level. I don't know where those records stand today,

Jon Peters, Brenham - Broke the national consecutive win record for a high school pitcher (50 or so wins) in the late 80's or early 90's. I don't think he ever made the big leagues.

I'm sure there are other names that if I heard them I would think "Of course, how could you not name them" but those two are all I can think of right off the cuff

Bullaholic
02-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
Bull,

I'm sure there are a lot of standouts but I can't think of many. The two that come to mind are

David Clyde, Class of '73 - Texas Ranger #1 pick but was a bust at the Major league level. At the time, he had several national pitching records at the high school level. I don't know where those records stand today,

Jon Peters, Brenham - Broke the national consecutive win record for a high school pitcher (50 or so wins) in the late 80's or early 90's. I don't think he ever made the big leagues.

I'm sure there are other names that if I heard them I would think "Of course, how could you not name them" but those two are all I can think of right off the cuff

Thanks, GWood--always enjoy your baseball posts. As there are not as many folks on the board who follow baseball, maybe I ought to broaden the "best ever" baseball question to include teams. Is there an "'83' Daingerfield" football team equivalent in Texas HS baseball history? Who do you think was the best team in Texas HS baseball history?

Hannibal
02-06-2007, 03:54 PM
It has been debated & debated, but yes as far as all around baseball player I think he is/was better than Jaime.

Played with one and coached against the other. Adrian was the better hitter and athlete, but Jamie had him on the mound.

Bullaholic
02-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Joseph Krebs of Bridgeport, currently playing for UT is a good ballplayer:

http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=18&change_well_id=17&member_id=824

pirate4state
02-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Played with one and coached against the other. Adrian was the better hitter and athlete, but Jamie had him on the mound. :thinking: Maybe :D

2nd baseman - Chance Schmidt :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Best ever team, in recent years in 3A you gotta go with the Lorena squad that went undefeated. They beat Sinton 3-2 in the state finals in '03. :( We had our chances to win that game, but couldn't get it done. *sigh*

Bull19
02-06-2007, 05:17 PM
CHRIS NOLEN 93' 3A STATE PLAYER OF THE YEAR AND MEMBER OF STATE CHAMPIONSHIP BASEBALL TEAM

clemsmarina
02-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Played against Calvin Schiraldi at Westlake when he was a senior and I a Freshman.... He had major league stuff before he went on to a National Championship at UT with Mr. Clemens.

Watched Kelley Gruber play short stop at Westlake as well, and he would have to be considered among the Best! Also got a World series ring in Toronto.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Played with one and coached against the other. Adrian was the better hitter and athlete, but Jamie had him on the mound. I would have to agree Jamie Sepeda was as good or maybe notch above better in high school. he was tough to hit, his freshmen year alone the had several no hitters. I think only Jon Peters finish with more wins than Jamie Sepeda. Arthur Rhodes from waco la vega could also be one of the best pitchers in 3a.

carter08
02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Best Girl's Softball player of all-time
Hmm
The best player right now is Cami Newsome

VWG
02-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Don't forget Todd Van Poppell or Ben Grieve from Arlington Martin.
Chase Wright from Iowa Park was one of the better pitchers in the North Texas area. Drafted by the Yankees and is still in their farm system. Dominated kids at the HS level.

GWOOD
02-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Don't forget Todd Van Poppell or Ben Grieve from Arlington Martin.

Those are two good ones VWG. I particularly remember Van Poppel as a "can't miss" superstar. Below average ML player but boy was he impressive in high schoool.

Snydertigersrul
02-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Thanks, GWood--always enjoy your baseball posts. As there are not as many folks on the board who follow baseball, maybe I ought to broaden the "best ever" baseball question to include teams. Is there an "'83' Daingerfield" football team equivalent in Texas HS baseball history? Who do you think was the best team in Texas HS baseball history?

The best ever was the 1983 Snyder Tigers, but there were 4A at that time.

halfnhalf
02-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
The best ever was the 1983 Snyder Tigers, but there were 4A at that time.
Does anyone from Snyder remember a guy named John Wright. He had this bat for the best batting average in the state for Snyder in the early 90s I think it was, he is my uncle, and I can remember growing up watching him play for Snyder, and seeing all these plaque type bats he wone when did, they were pretty good in 4a at the time. He batted something like .500 or so.