PDA

View Full Version : Three Sweetwater athletes to play in FCA game

Phantom Stang
02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Five to play in FCA game
Written by Staff Reports
Five Nolan County athletes have a chance to play in one more game before their high school football careers are officially over.
Duone Cunnings, Joseph Banyard and Justin Adames of Sweetwater, along with Roscoe’s Devon Deleon and David Browne, are members of the North team which will play the South team June 2 in the eighth annual Fellow-ship of Christian Athletes Myrle Greathouse All-Star Classic football game.
The contest will be played June 2 at Abilene’s Shotwell Stadi-um. Almost 90 players from 50 high schools — all of them graduating seniors — are taking part in the contest, with all proceeds benefiting the Big Country chapter of the FCA.
Rosters for the North and South All-Star teams were released Saturday.
Two-a-day practices begin May 29.
The coaches for the North are Tim Holt of Big Spring, Frank Johnson of Colorado City, Alan Steele of Hamlin, Keith Mullins of Merkel and Tooter Draper of Ranger.
The coaches who were sel-ected to the South all-star squad are Mike Spradlin of Abilene Cooper, Eddie Pettit of Bangs, Glen Jones of Bra-dy, Rusty Buzzard of Cole-man and Walter Hargrove of Jim Ned.
While it will be the final game for most players, at least Nolan County athlete — Banyard — will be continu-ing his football career after high school.
Banyard, an all-district running back who also re-ceived all-state recognition as a defensive back, recently made a verbal commitment to play college football at Division I Texas Christian University.

catman
02-05-2007, 09:03 PM
This is the best all-star game in the state IMO. I've been to every one since they started it. It showcases the best players in the area around Abilene.

thewyliefan
02-05-2007, 09:33 PM
thats cool that they are in it. i wonder why they weren't there on saturday for the introduction of the teams. not a single one.