PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Shipley slightly fading from his commitment to t.u.?

Jimbotex40
07-14-2003, 01:53 PM
i heard from an Aggie from burnet that shipley might not sign with t.u., but rather go with mcgee to Texas A&M.

i understood that t.u. signed someone that shipley thought would take away from his playing time. just a rumor, but let me know if its true?

true_blue_tiger
07-14-2003, 01:58 PM
It'll be nice if he heads to Aggieland!

DOGS1
07-14-2003, 03:47 PM
That would be nice, but as far as I know, A&M has not offered Shipley a scholarship. I am not saying that they won't (if there is any truth to this). Only time will tell.

wildstangs
07-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Its called UT.

true_blue_tiger
07-14-2003, 08:59 PM
nope, its t.u.

Burnet Dawg06
07-14-2003, 10:02 PM
If it is T.U. what does it stand for?

29x281
07-14-2003, 10:09 PM
This thread is a bad idea; it lives on the border between poor taste and bad judgment.

At this point, having waded this far in, I think you're obligated to spill it. If you're not willing to give the name of the person who told you this info, then maybe you shouldn't have gone public with the rumor. Did you give any thought to how rumors such as this might affect other people?

(P.S. Texas already had two WRs committed before Shipley committed, one of those (George Walker) considered among the top 10 players in the state at any position, and the other (Nathan Jones) in the top 25. If those 2 didn't scare Shipley, then I certainly don't see anyone else scaring him.)

29x281
07-14-2003, 10:13 PM
If it's true, we'll know eventually anyway.

<small>[ July 14, 2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: 29x281 ]</small>

wildstangs
07-14-2003, 10:13 PM
true_blue_tiger:
nope, its t.u.I think I would have a little more respect for a team that has donkey-stomped me the last few years.

Jimbotex40
07-14-2003, 10:43 PM
hell, i dont know which person it was that was making him have second thoughts about attending t.u. or whether it was a commitee previous to or after him.

if you want to know the persons name go to the new student conferences at Texas A&M cuz i sure as heck dont remember it.

true_blue_tiger
07-14-2003, 11:14 PM
i really dont care, they could monkey stomp us fifty years in a row, and i still wouldnt like em! but we do have one thing they dont got! a Big XII Championship

Shotgun73
07-14-2003, 11:53 PM
29X281,
How was Colorado?

Jimbotex40
07-15-2003, 12:27 AM
burnetdawg: obviously since Texas A&M is a great university, we get upset when another school proclaims themselves as THE university of our state. we dont believe that that school in austin best represents the state of texas, but rather that Texas A&M does. thus, calling it t.u. meaning texas university.

i dont know if this is every Aggies reason for calling it t.u., but it is mine and im sticking to it.

also, there is a misconception that Aggies call it t.u. and laugh, thinking we got away with something, much like preschoolers do. we dont do it to piss off tea-sips, we do it cuz we believe that we are the better school.

rholl
07-15-2003, 08:42 AM
sounds like someone is fresh out of "fish camp". Don't worry...it usually wears off!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimbotex40
07-15-2003, 09:56 AM
the first fish camp, hasnt even started yet. its not til like august 10.

and hell no, my hatred for t.u. will never wear off. ive hated them since before i even decided to attend the best college in the nation.

i remember when i thought i wanted to go to baylor just cuz my dad did, and he would take me to their homecomings, and i saw them beat, what i then thought was UT, but now realize that it is t.u. i was so frakin glad.

and also, dont think im a wanna be tea-sip, but applied and didnt get admited (cuz ill admit, its a lil tougher to get into than A&M) so now im taking out my anger on the school that didnt want me. i assure you that i would have gotten in to t.u. had i applied to its hideousness.

rholl
07-15-2003, 10:55 AM
oh my!!!! No other words are needed!!!!!!

Chief Woodman
07-15-2003, 12:29 PM
Jimbo- GROW UP. My son is serriously considering Texas A&M so do not take this as an insult. If any university has its name messed up, it is A&M. On the side of the helmet they write "aTm" Sounds like a non thinking machine that eats money. However I have tremendous respect for them, seeing the traditions and seeing in the student building those who have died defending this country. (P.S.- GREAT fire school) However, the State government- (which also funds Texas A&M)Calls UT The University of Texas, not Texas University. Before you say they are morons, remember that those same folks see fit to put money into A&M...so the sword cuts both ways. The A&M is a separate entity designed for ag and mechanical research and development. Thus providing better food and animal products for all of us. Please stop insulting my state. How's this for grins- I've attend the A&M system, but respect UT.

Jimbotex40
07-15-2003, 01:06 PM
how im a insulting your state by saying that Texas A&M best represents thet state of Texas?

you act like im saying that t.u. is the worst school in the state, but im not saying this. i have respect for their performance and ability (athletically and academically), but not so much their spirit and overall friendliness. i definitely realize that t.u. is one of the premiere colleges ever to exist. hell, to some people its proly the best college.

i am just saying that to me Texas A&M best represents our state. yes, partly because i chose it for myself, but also, because of the values and principles that it strongly holds onto, most of which cease to exist at the other school in austin.

so chief woodman, if your son does decide to come to Texas A&M, i hope it is not based solely (100%) on acacdemics or varsity athletics or whatever he pursues, but rather i hope he bases his decision on what being an Aggie really means.

29x281
07-15-2003, 04:17 PM
So you criticize UT for its lack of "overall freindliness" right after making the following comment:

"and hell no, my hatred for t.u. will never wear off. ive hated them since before i even decided to attend the best college in the nation." -- JimboTex

Is that what you mean when you talk of "the values and principles that [A&M] strongly holds onto." Or maybe you're alluding to the sexual preferences of those world famous Singing Cadets. I guess that's what Aggies refer to when they sing about the "spirit that can ne'er be told."

"i hope he bases his decision on what being an Aggie really means." -- JimboTex

I would hope that he would have high enough self-worth that he wouldn't see his choice of college as the be all and end all of his personal identity.

Stop buying the hype, man. You're just like the rest of us. Look, A&M is a good school. The students there are close-knit, possibly moreso than at UT. Choosing to be an Aggie or a Longhorn, however, is not a choice between good and evil.

true_blue_tiger
07-15-2003, 04:59 PM
this is what i got off of the AggieAthletics.com website,
t.u.
That “other school” in Austin is not the “University of Texas.” To an Aggie, it’s “t.u.,” without capital letters.

Tea-sip

Student at t.u.

big daddy russ
07-15-2003, 05:03 PM
29x281:
...Choosing to be an Aggie or a Longhorn, however, is not a choice between good and evil."Get behind me Satan. You are a stumbling block to me."
-Jesus to the apostle Simon Peter
:D :D :D

Go Ags!

<small>[ July 15, 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

Rabbit'93
07-15-2003, 05:07 PM
oh you people are killin' me.

HotDawg89
07-15-2003, 06:06 PM
So, I read that this thread was about Shipley, and of course, being from Burnet, I want to know what is going on, so I open it up, only to find that it is a thread about UT vs. A&M. Hmmm.

Has anyone given any thought to supporting both schools as they both represent TX? I will be, especially since we have at two young men from Burnet this year going to either school.

sinton66
07-15-2003, 06:09 PM
I'd be willing to bet that most of the folks at UT couldn't care less what a bunch of morons from A&M call their school. Both schools represent the State of Texas well, just in different areas. I think it's high time the student body of A&M grew up and quit acting like immature, jealous imbeciles where UT is concerned. You don't see them screwing up your school's name. Maybe they should start calling your school "tu2" (2nd rate tu). :D

Jimbotex40
07-15-2003, 09:02 PM
29x281:
generally you arent friends with your enemy, yeah, ive got some acquaintances that are tea-sips and im friendly to them. however, the friendliness i was talking about with A&M is friendliness toward eachother. this can be a howdy or a head nod or what have you. this doesnt exist at any college to the same extent that it does at Texas A&M.

also, im pretty darn sure that no gay cadets would last in the Corps. the pissheads would run them off. maybe youre just placing that stereotype on them that since they are males in a choir. in that case, the churches you and i attend are in for some severe punishment, cuz i know that my church has males in the choir, and id bet yours does to.

and its not the spirit that can ne'er be told, its the spirit that ne'er be told. so its not that it cant be told, its just that it isnt often told.

"I would hope that he would have high enough self-worth that he wouldn't see his choice of college as the be all and end all of his personal identity."

ill admit, the statement above is true. i do give up a lot of myself for Texas A&M, maybe to you, a bit too much. i know thats not where "all" of my focus should be, but im definitely gonna put the ot of my focus into my majority of my time into the school i "think so grand". i also, certainly hope that i dont sacrifice my identity for something i dont believe in, but i believe in Texas A&M so much that thats what i want my identity to be like. im sorry if you dont understand it, but theres things about everyone that other people dont understand.

so about you telling me to stop buying the hype, and that were the same as everyone else....no, i cannot do that for you or anyone else due to the fact that i so strongly love Texas A&M and everything it stands for.

please dont ever try to conform schools and ideals (and for that matter anything) to other ones, by saying that its all the same. no two things are the same.

wildstangs
07-15-2003, 09:07 PM
I have a lot of respect for A&M. Have a blast everytime I go down there. I support their football team in almost every game, except for the Texas one of course. I was extremely proud when they knocked off Oklahoma last year. The only thing I dont like about the Aggies is their jealousy of UT. Why devote so much time to hating on one school? Hell their Fight song is all about UT. Do they sing the same fight song when they are playing Baylor...Tech....OSU? Doesnt make much sense!

29x281
07-15-2003, 09:29 PM
"Some may boast of prowess bold
Of the school they think so grand
But there's a spirit can ne'er be told:
It's the Spirit of Aggieland"

Dude, learn your own song.

sinton66
07-15-2003, 09:38 PM
I agree with you 'stangs. I've actually tried to get into liking A&M, but every time I do, these MORONS start up this tired old crap about "tu" and how great and proud A&M is and all the great tradition and so forth and so on, and it just definitely smells of pure jealousy. It has actually become quite BORING !!

Jimbotex40
07-15-2003, 09:52 PM
the version inside my 03-04 student calender says "theres a spirit that ne'er be told"

there different versions to songs, but the one you originally said "spirit that can ne'er be told", is not a version at all. i did look up the 2nd verison you quoted, and yes, that is a legit one. im not sure which one they sing at official times, when it comes right down to it. anyone know? ive only been to one game.

29x281
07-15-2003, 10:28 PM
"also, im pretty darn sure that no gay cadets would last in the Corps. the pissheads would run them off." -- JimboTex

The Link (http://members.aol.com/prfrye/Herstory.htm)

Jimbotex40
07-15-2003, 10:48 PM
sinton66: i know what you mean about people trying to get you to like it. thats how i was before i became an Aggie. i didnt really care when the upperclassman tried to teach me the different wildcats of each class. i wasnt interested in learning why Aggies can hump it like no other, lol. ill admit, i didnt understand the whole t.u. thing.

however, when i stepped back and got home, is the time when i started to think, hmm, baylor or Texas A&M??? i really had no clue of where i was gonna go. both great schools academically.

after i decided on Texas A&M is when i began to understand the traditions better.

i have come to the conclusion that Texas A&M is not a school that just anyone can pull for. it is not a team for band-wagoners, in that once youre an Aggie, you are always an Aggie. you cant be an aggie one year (such as the early and mid 90's when they were good) and then be a longhorn fan nowadays since they are better.

Jimbotex40
07-15-2003, 11:10 PM
29x281:

if you want to get into calling schools homsexual, A&M is not the school to mess with. however, one could easily bash, lets say, t.u. and UNT. these are both liberal schools. and austin is definitely the most liberal place in Texas. thats why LBJ (a democrat) put his library in austin and George Bush (a republican) put his in Collge Station.

im not saying there is anything wrong in being a democrat, but democrats, if im not mistaken, are generally liberals, and gays and lesbians are definitely liberal.

i tried to look for a statistic of some sort about the rate of homosexuality in public universities but came up empty handed. if someone could please help me out, im sure we could show that t.u. has the most of any Texas school.

29x281
07-15-2003, 11:35 PM
I'm not calling anybody anything. I quoted you and provided a link, that's the end.

Accurate statistics might be difficult to come by for obvious reasons, but good luck.

St. Ivender
07-16-2003, 07:15 AM
Whichever school Mr. Shipley chooses I wish him the best.

sinton66
07-16-2003, 07:25 AM
Jimbo, my point is that it seems that most Aggies try too hard to convince everyone they are the #1 school in the State. Anybody trying that hard seems to me to be hiding something(namely, the truth). Personally, I would rather see A&M focus on getting better and not on claiming better. In my opinion, A&M will never top UT until they manage to stop fixating on them and start concentrating on themselves.

Honestly, regardless of it's meaning ,if the "tu" thing is the best you guys can come up with, even you have to admit that's pretty lame.

vet93
07-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Sinton66 and others...I think that there are some misunderstandings about Aggies, the traditions etc...First I will address the t.u. question. It is a longstanding argument. Rivalries sometimes produce some strange things. A long while ago when U.T. and A&M students began arguing about who was the best (silly, but that is what rivals do), U.T. students began saying that they were "THE University of Texas" (emphasis on THE). In a rebuttal to that assertion Aggies began stripping THE from the title of U.T. and abbreviated their name to Texas University (t.u.) to get under the skin of their rivals. It is as simple as that. Because A&M has the corp of cadets, they have an institutional memory regarding traditions and past offenses (by rivals). This institutional memory spills over into the general population and perputuates the traditions. The traditions (though some are silly) help bond the students and give students a since of identity and comraderie for the school as a whole that you don't see at many other places. Especially at a school that is this large. You see these types of traditions at many military schools, but they are mostly small schools and have not developed to the size of A&M. These traditions and such are a double edged sword. They really help bond the student body and many of the traditions pay homage to our school, state and national heroes. However, when this self identity is taken to an extreme to the point of being mean spirited etc... then it no longer is a positive but is a negative. I have two brothers who went to a different school in Texas and many friends that went to U.T. I noticed when they were in school that they had their school affiliation but that their social identity was attached to a particular fraternity or organization. At A&M the school affiliation and the social affiliation are the same. In essence...it is like a 48,000 member fraternity. This makes for a great atmosphere and is why many Aggies believe it it the best place to go to school. However, because of the strong school identity that A&M has it makes them a very big target (for ridicule or anger) and it causes some immature, boneheaded aggies to sometimes go over board. Both the positives and the negatives reflect back on the group as a whole. There is something very special about A&M because of the closeness of the student body. This is almost unheard of at a school this large. However, it is not for everybody and there are many other wonderful universities in the state that have great positives of their own (including U.T. wink )

Gobbla2001
07-16-2003, 09:28 AM
I believe TU stands for 'THE University'...

Nah, a lot of A&M people use it as one of their things to rag on UT about because UT wasn't the first U in T...

You gotta think about it, guys, UT is in Austin, the Capital... It was also the first university in Texas to offer courses for a wide range of degrees etc... A&M was focussed on agricultural stuff...

I respect A&M though, have a lot of friends that go there, it's a good school and CS is a good town... But it's their fault for not using 'The University of Texas'...

mustang04
07-16-2003, 12:20 PM
TO EVERYBODY!! chill out, im just a senior in HS now, and ive been to a&m's campus and ut's campus, i like them both, im aiming more torwards a&m. to me its not the fact that they are dawgin on UT, its the point that they are all together, A&M is a very cool place, and being an AGGIE can be a very good thing, but im not dawgin UT, im just saying why does it matter if A&M does talk mess about UT, get over it, its college, its supposed to be fun (but serious too when it comes to schoolwork), i mean seriously..is it the end of the world??? thats just my opinion, both schools represent texas well, and i'd be very very happy to go to either one

3afan
07-16-2003, 02:51 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

big daddy russ
07-16-2003, 04:20 PM
vet93, stang04... I couldn't have said it better.

Gobbla2001
07-16-2003, 04:29 PM
What would Texas be without the good ole UT and A&M rivalry... Last time I check, they were supposed to talk crap, not shake hands and be friends...

PhiI C
07-16-2003, 05:25 PM
and don't forget the Spurs beating the Nets for the NBA championship this year!

BEST NBA SERIES WE EVER HAD!!

espn1
07-16-2003, 06:11 PM
The last time I checked this post was supposed to be about Jordan Shipley. Anybody with brains knows that any Big12 school would be a great place to attend. A few of these posts should think about getting their GED's before discussing higher education.

Jimbotex40
07-16-2003, 06:17 PM
espn1, im pretty sure that everyone that has posted here has either gotten a high school degree (or GED replacement) or is still in high school in the process of getting their diploma.

surfspike
07-17-2003, 12:55 AM
Jimbotex40:

i tried to look for a statistic of some sort about the rate of homosexuality in public universities but came up empty handed. if someone could please help me out, im sure we could show that t.u. has the most of any Texas school.who cares how many gays are in which schools? Would you look down on an all minority school in the same manner? Your posts compared to last seasons has changed pretty drastically. I thought you were a kinda carefree easy going person. oh well. I guess I thought wrong.

Jimbotex40
07-17-2003, 01:01 AM
yeah i guess youre right. i just got a lil upset cuz he made fun of Texas A&M for having someone gay, when obviously everyone else has at least one gay person at their school. sorry

Gobbla2001
07-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Dang, espn1, I didn't know a 'POST' could get a GED...

espn1
07-17-2003, 09:10 AM
Gobbla2001:
Dang, espn1, I didn't know a 'POST' could get a GED...That's fuuny. I can tell very little gets by you.
As for me I'm headed for College Station to get my GED and to watch 7on7. I'm actually more excited about the latter.

espn1
07-17-2003, 09:17 AM
Jimbotex40:
yeah i guess youre right. i just got a lil upset cuz he made fun of Texas A&M for having someone gay, when obviously everyone else has at least one gay person at their school. sorryHey, maybe this might give some insight. Insight (http://www.gaysports.com/index.cfm)

Gobbla2001
07-17-2003, 09:18 AM
Ha...

Jimbotex40
07-17-2003, 12:04 PM
what insight is that supposed to provide me with?

espn1
07-17-2003, 12:19 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jimbotex40:

i tried to look for a statistic of some sort about the rate of homosexuality in public universities but came up empty handed. if someone could please help me out, im sure we could show that t.u. has the most of any Texas school.

I was refering to your post?

Jimbotex40
07-17-2003, 01:44 PM
i know, but i didnt see anything on that site about colleges or universities

Rabbit'93
07-17-2003, 03:00 PM
Nice thread about Jordan wink

espn1
07-17-2003, 04:28 PM
Yes, this is very informative.

Jimbotex40
07-18-2003, 12:40 AM
how so?

i looked back a couple more times, just to see if anything was there about colleges but i didnt see any.

espn1
07-18-2003, 08:51 AM
Actually I was joking about the informative part. As for the web sight I didn't read it, I was just taking a long shot on its content hoping you would find what you were looking for.

toby070
07-18-2003, 01:04 PM
PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD...ENOUGH IS A FRICKIN-NOUGH ALREADY

ps...HOOK 'EM HORNS :)