PDA

View Full Version : How Many African/American Coaches In 3A??

ILS1
02-04-2007, 10:04 AM
All the press about 2 African-American coaches in the Super Bowl. How many are in 3A?? Or any classification for that matter? Just curious? Thanks.

One I can think of:

Claude Mathis-4A Austin LBJ

Phil C
02-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by ILS1
All the press about 2 African-American coaches in the Super Bowl. How many are in 3A?? Or any classification for that matter? Just curious? Thanks.

One I can think of:

A good question and I don't know of any that are head coaches. We have improved on having more Hispanic coaches though.

pirate4state
02-04-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a black head coach at the high school level, but I don't watch alot of different teams.

Have I said lately how much I hate the term African-American or anything-American? argh

ILS1
02-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Have I said lately how much I hate the term African-American or anything-American? argh

I totally agree. But I didn't wanna get this thread deleted or locked for being politically incorrect.

:D :D

District303aPastPlayer
02-04-2007, 10:49 AM
so serious question... a white person whos parents are from south africa who was born in America... are they african american...

Crow22
02-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Marcus Booker at Cotulla....

Did somebody REALLY say they've never seen a black head coach at the high school level??

lol...

There are plenty of black head coaches in high school.....

District303aPastPlayer
02-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Crow22
Marcus Booker at Cotulla....

Did somebody REALLY say they've never seen a black head coach at the high school level??

lol...

There are plenty of black head coaches in high school.....

that name sounds so familiar... where was he at previously

ILS1
02-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
so serious question... a white person whos parents are from south africa who was born in America... are they african american...

I believe they are just called South Africans. Pro Golfer Ernie Els is from South African descent. I didn't know another Pro Golfer Gary Player was also from South Africa.

:D

Reds fan
02-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Ricky Sargeant (sp) at Hempstead High School (2A).

mwynn05
02-04-2007, 12:07 PM
David Haynes in Fairfield

Phil C
02-04-2007, 12:52 PM
I totally agree. But I didn't wanna get this thread deleted or locked for being politically incorrect.

:D :D

It is good to be politically correct. :)

mustang04
02-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
A good question and I don't know of any that are head coaches. We have improved on having more Hispanic coaches though.

improved??? shouldn't schools' goals be to get the most qualified person for coaching, whether they are hispanic, black, white, or etc.....i really don't think "IMPROVED" is the right word to use...makes it sound like the GOAL is to get more and more hispanics instead of more and more qualified personel.....i am not racist so anyone reading this post don't take it that way...i just dont think any company's goal should be to have so many ppl of each ethnicity, but to have the best ppl for the job no matter what color they are

maybe saying "the number of hispanic coaches has increased!"

sry, just phil, that statement just kinda caught my attention awkwardly

Phil C
02-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't want to alarm anyone but did you know there are no women head coaches in the NFL? :eek:

In fact I am not sure if there are any women assistant coaches in the NFL. :eek: :eek:

Bull19
02-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
improved??? shouldn't schools' goals be to get the most qualified person for coaching, whether they are hispanic, black, white, or etc.....i really don't think "IMPROVED" is the right word to use...makes it sound like the GOAL is to get more and more hispanics instead of more and more qualified personel.....i am not racist so anyone reading this post don't take it that way...i just dont think any company's goal should be to have so many ppl of each ethnicity, but to have the best ppl for the job no matter what color they are

maybe saying "the number of hispanic coaches has increased!"

sry, just phil, that statement just kinda caught my attention awkwardly

THANK YOU......AGREED

mustang04
02-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I don't want to alarm anyone but did you know there are no women head coaches in the NFL? :eek:

In fact I am not sure if there are any women assistant coaches in the NFL. :eek: :eek:

well......thats not the employer's fault...maybe women aren't pursuing that job like men are

Who-dun-it!!?
02-04-2007, 01:45 PM

One I can think of:

Who cares what color a freakin coach is? or a QB or any other position on a team? Its all about talent!!!! Or it should be anyway.

JR2004
02-04-2007, 04:59 PM

One I can think of:

You've got Joesph Daniels at Roosevelt and you've got Ronald Johnson at Madison as far as 3A goes.

Not out of the ordinary in the city school districts to see black head coaches. Going in reverse on this I guess that it probably wouldn't be guessed that Pinkston has a white head coach.

injuredinmelee
02-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
well......thats not the employer's fault...maybe women aren't pursuing that job like men are

maybe they just ARE NOT QUALIFIED!!! I have never interviewed anyone in my life and did or did not hire them because of their skin color. I cant imagine a NFL owner that is intelligent enough to have made billions in their lifetime letting skin color keep them from hiring someone. What these people dont understand when they are talking about the number of black or hispanic coaches in whatever level is that maybe there just are not as many applicants out there that are black or hispanic. UNtil everyone stops labeling themselves no one else can stop labeling them either. DO not tell me you want to be treated as equal but then give yourself a label that seperates you from me.

Bull's-eye
02-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
DO not tell me you want to be treated as equal but then give yourself a label that seperates you from me.

:clap: :clap: :clap: That's a nice quote!

Bandera YaYa
02-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Nothing changes until we STOP pointing out the color of someone's skin......we should be looking past that by now.... :(

big daddy russ
02-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Nothing changes until we STOP pointing out the color of someone's skin......we should be looking past that by now.... :(
:clap: :clap: :clap:

maestro
02-04-2007, 09:29 PM
i agree about the labels...

seems like everyone HAS a label......

how about just a quality resume??

Hansum Stranger
02-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I don't think I've ever seen a black head coach at the high school level

You saw a team last year with a black head coach.

CenTexSports
02-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Haven't you ever heard of the old saying; "Those that can do and those that can't coach." The AA folks can just outright play and all those white boys that don't have the speed, size, or talent move to the coaching area at a younger age. Then they have an advantage by being ahead in the learning curve for the head coaching jobs (not to mention a 3 to 1 advantage in the number of one race to the other).

JSTIC

Bullaholic
02-05-2007, 10:35 AM
For purposes of this thread:

Gainesville won the 3A-D1 State Championship under Jeff Cordell in 2003. He is currently head coach at Greenville.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-05-2007, 10:50 AM
More women in the NFL?

pirate4state
02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
You saw a team last year with a black head coach. oh yeah....:doh: thanks HS! :)

Gobbla2001
02-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I have a few more to add, but I forget where I saw them or where they are currently at...

Oh, that one from Dallas Carter on Friday Night Lights...

For serious though, this is something that will never change... It'll get to the point where there must be an equal percentage of races employed by a company (it is already getting that way)...

I say you hire the best man or woman for the job... turning down employees because they are not minorities and you must be "fair" and "equal" is racism itself...

Turning down minorities because you're some racist goof is of course racism...

The deal is that equal oppurtunity employment is a great thing and a horrible thing... in one way, it makes sure that companies do give chances to minorities if they are infact "favoring the color white", but at the same time it scares companies into hiring minorities so they can cover their @sses come investigation time... and instead of being equal, they just hire minorities to keep investigations away etc...

When I decided I wanted to be an LVN, then RN (that didn't last long), I took a CNA course to semi-familiarize myself with the medical field while waiting for the LVN school to begin... It's freakin' gross, but hell, I can take your blood-pressure better than Doogie use to could...

Anyhoo, after getting my certification I ended up moving to Austin and decided to take classes up there... I needed a job of course so I went to a bunch of shelters for abused children and stuff but no one was hiring, and I wasn't applying at a nursing home (I'm not gunna whipe old people butt, but I admire anybody who can do it, it needs to be done)... I ended up finding an add for Austin State Hospital, didn't know what it was, but they said they were hiring people to work with mentally challenged children... I called about the job and it was a very good salary and all and I thought maybe that would be good because I got to work with kids, and if I didn't like it and it messed with my school schedule that I'd get a job somewhere else...

Anyway, when I go to the interview they call all of the applicants in to one room and each is interviewed at the same time by different people (which was just weird)... there were two non-minorities, okay, WHITE folk... one was me... the other 6 applicants were minorities... All 8 people interviewing were minorities... I was informed by the guy interviewing me that "I was the only one CERTIFIED" for the position out of all of the applicants... Should get the job, right?

WRONG...

Here's the bad part, state law says (or said at the time) that an employee not certified must only be allowed to work UNcertified for 120 days... if that 120 days has passed and they are still not certified they must be let go...

120 days later and their adds were back in the Stateman etc... why waste all of that time and money in training these guys when you're gunna have to let 'em go in four months?

funny thing is they never called to tell me I didn't get the job... I called and called and called... guy never called back... finally got ahold of him a week later and he says "Oh, I tried to call but couldn't reach you, we do not need you at this time"...

not so funny thing is, reverse minorities and majorities in this story and we have a national crisis...

kaorder1999
02-05-2007, 11:13 AM
3/4 or so of the DISD schools have a black head coach

Carter
Spruce
Madison
Roosevelt
SOC
Skyline
Kimball
Not sure about TJ
Hillcrest

Gobbla2001
02-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
3/4 or so of the DISD schools have a black head coach

Carter
Spruce
Madison
Roosevelt
SOC
Skyline
Kimball
Not sure about TJ
Hillcrest

Yah, but aren't those schools prdominantly black?

They must be racist in the DISD for not hiring more white, brown and every other color coaches...

kaorder1999
02-05-2007, 11:38 AM
North Mesquite- Mike Robinson
Bryan-Marvin Sedberry