PDA

View Full Version : Bellville22's Long Marlin/Bellville Prediction

Bellville22
12-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Former: I know you're gonna get mad at me for starting another topic, but i get tired of sorting through them when they get as long as the other. Plus I have a feeling this is gonna get pretty long, and maybe i just wanna start one of these on my own for once. :D If it's too long, don't read it :D , I just have a really long time between classes today, and what better way to spend it. Anyway here are my thoughts...

Ahh, the beauty of TX H.S. Football! Last year about this time the Marlin Bulldogs were steam-rolling everybody and seemed a lock (i know no one is a lock in this sport wink ) for the Div II title, only to be stunned and upset by the 17+ point underdog Brahmas from Bellville. This year the tables have turned. The Brahmas come in as the team on a roll, demolishing anything in its path lately. And while the Bulls are far from a lock for the title, they seem to be the slight favorite among most polls and picks. This year it is the Bulldogs who look to play spoiler. They're seeking revenge after last year, and want to prove to the state that they are indeed worthy of challanging for the crown.

The stage is set, and what a stage it is. Every game is a good one this deep in the year, but in my opinion, the most intriguing matchup will take place at Kyle on Friday night. One thing is for certain, there won't be a shortage of athletes. Each team is loaded with speed and talent capable of making fans say "WOW!" Several of the young men on the field this Friday will go on to bigger and better things at the next level, but right now, they want nothing more than to extend their season one more week, and they'll do everything in their power to see that that happens.

Marlin enters the game a reformed team from their early-season slump. They're finally clicking, and playing at, if not beyond, the level of last year's team. Speed is the name of the game in Bulldog Country, and they certainly have plenty. The D has put the lockdown on opposing offenses lately, and Marlin faithful are getting used to seeing one of their many weapons break the big one on offense. Normally I can say that opposing teams haven't seen a team like Bellville. Not the case here, the Dogs have faced Burnet and Ennis, both similar to what Bellville does, and both every bit as good, probably better, than the Brahmas. Granted, Marlin didn't do all that great against either, but it will certainly help them having seen that style of play, and that kind of competition.

Bellville has found the groove offensively, and the defense has continued to improve its game, and elevated itself to one of the best in the state. The Brahmas probably haven't seen a team like Marlin, certainly not a defensive unit with so much speed throughout the entire lineup. Rice was probably as good or better up front, but doesn't compare to Marlin's secondary. This team will swarm like the Raiders and Sealy, only they'll fill the holes much quicker. Bellville's D has seen a rushing attack better than Marlin in Rice, and a passing attack better in China Spring. They haven't however seen a team with so many weapons on the field at once. They're similar to the Bulls in that there's 4 or 5 guys who can score on any given play. The Bulls will have to play their responsibilities, and really tackle well this week, one missed tackle could be 6 in a hurry. Offensively they have to be patient with their game plan, play smart, and take care of the football.

This is one of those matchups where pretty much anything could happen. The talent is so vast, that it comes down to who clicks on that night. We could see a defensive struggle won by a field goal, or we could see a high scoring shootout. Leads can appear and disappear in a hurry with so many athletes on the field. I don't look for either team to change its plan. The Bulldogs will come out fired up, that's for sure. They are a hungry team, and there's that "remember last year" attitude. They'll play that swarming D, and look to make the big play to gain momentum. I think offensively they'll try to spread it around, make the Bulls cover everyone, and try to break the big one. I'm not sure, but I expect Tank to play, and play well. I'm sure he'll see his share of touches. Alot will ride on the Soph. QB's ability to make good decisions under pressure, which apparently he's done lately. I think the Bulls will try to stay balanced in their attack. They won't be able to run with ease like last week. They'll need to be patient, and not abandon the run if there is no early success. The key will be if Buenger has time to throw. If he does, I think they can throw the ball. I know what kind of secondary speed Marlin has, but if the receivers play smart, and run crisp routes, Jess will get them the ball. The Bulls will have to control Marlin's intensity early. If they can get an early stop, or a score, and grab some momentum, they'll be alright. But if they make an early mistake, watch out. Defensively, I think the key will be the D-line, Bellville's defensive strong point in my opinion. I hear Marlin's O-line is down a little (is this true?), if so, they'll need to cause some chaos in the backfield, and put pressure on the young QB.

I think both teams will bring their A-game, and provide us with a treat Friday night. I don't see either offense being able to sustain long drives down the field. Field position will be huge, as well as turnovers. The defenses will have to prevent the big play. I see the difference being Bellville's kicking game, as well as their poise. They have very good, experienced leaders, and are a team who can stand in there against a fired up Marlin team. Buenger is very smart, and as calm and collected as anyone in the state. He may not be the athlete of the Dog's QB, but I like his leadership and decision making(he may surprise you with his feet as well). I think this may be the difference. The Dogs probably have a deeper number of athletes, but I think Bellville is a more complete team.

Should be a good one, I'm predicting another classic. Revenge and intensity are powerful things, especially among 16, 17, and 18 year old boys. Marlin remembers last year, they'll get their revenge....... just not this year.....

Bellville 23
Marlin 21

<small>[ December 03, 2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Bellville22 ]</small>

Bellville22
12-03-2003, 01:41 PM
73 and KL3, whatcha got?

Diboll_Lumberjackk
12-03-2003, 01:46 PM
What did bellville do to stop China Springs like they did....

Bellville22
12-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Diboll_Lumberjackk:
What did bellville do to stop China Springs like they did....Actually CS had over 300 yards passing. Bellville pretty much shut down the run completely, and finally got pressure on the CS QB, forcing some turnovers. Actually held the CS O to 13, 6 points came on a really strange INT return.

Bull's-eye
12-03-2003, 02:06 PM
The "novel" was very good, impartial and accurate. Now, we just need to play the game and find out the ending.

Amos Moses
12-03-2003, 02:17 PM
It can not be said any better than bellville22 post. There has been so much trash talking on here it is nice to see a very intelligent oversight of the game. Both squads are very talented and both are well coached.They couldn't have picked a better place to play the game. This atmosphere will make the game that more interesting to watch.Let the kids play because for many it will be their last time,for the ones who going to the next level let them shine and leaves us with memories like last year.Win or lose no one will walk away from this game with there head down.Good luck to Bellville!!! but I will be pulling for the dawgs.

Diboll_Lumberjackk
12-03-2003, 02:24 PM
shucks* im still sore over the China Springs loss 2nd OT :( Was watching our head coach in his office rewinding an rewinding the last play (CS reciever down field secondary was covering him jumps up catches the ball season over) I knew our secondary would be our down fall in the end.

bud4u
12-03-2003, 03:08 PM
WHO EVERS GOING TO BELLVILL/MARLIN GAME lets bring the tortillas....LOL
burnet will be there sat. and let them get the blame...
read in austin paper burnet principle said leave the TORTILLAS at home
like last year this game should be a classic
and i will be there again
If your going to be a dawg BE A MARLIN BULLDOG

GOD BLESS AND LET THE MARLIN BULLDOGS ROLL :cool:

Bull's-eye
12-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Amos Moses:
It can not be said any better than bellville22 post. There has been so much trash talking on here it is nice to see a very intelligent oversight of the game. Both squads are very talented and both are well coached.They couldn't have picked a better place to play the game. This atmosphere will make the game that more interesting to watch.Let the kids play because for many it will be their last time,for the ones who going to the next level let them shine and leaves us with memories like last year.Win or lose no one will walk away from this game with there head down.Good luck to Bellville!!! but I will be pulling for the dawgs.That's CLASS

shooootno15
12-03-2003, 06:10 PM
i was actually very surprised that CS had over 300 yards passing.....i woulda guessed like 200

raider_fan_06
12-03-2003, 06:13 PM
hope bellville win, i say they will win by two tds.

the_answer
12-03-2003, 09:26 PM
one thing not mentioned Bellville 22, is the weather. it is suppose to be very cold. who does this favor?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
12-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Hey 22, was it not you that said there were to many topics about the Bellville, Marlin game? If I remember right you said lets stay with the original topic. So what do you do? You start another topic about the same game you said there were already to many topics!

BrahmaMom
12-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Nice summary, 22, you have learned to write well in college, that education will pay off, soon I'm sure your dad is hoping! I think you have it analyzed correctly, I am not worried about the weather, Bellville can handle it and did last week. I'm anxious to hear KL3's prediction, he seems accurate pretty often. Can't wait for the game. Hope folks at the Square are loud this week, nobody made noise last week! Let's go, Barahma fans, BE LOUD!

fmsc64
12-04-2003, 10:48 AM
:o Good summary #22, but just remember as you said those dogs want to win more than anything, so watch out. All of us remember the last time we played you guys and we all know Marlin should have won. We purposely played hard teams early on so our team would be tough and ready when it counts. We didn't get this far by sitting down and dancing on the field. The weather will be in our favor since our team practices in all types of weather. Marlin has lots of talented and determined players. This is the last year for several and they have the state win in their minds, hearts and souls! wink It will be a great game and the best will do their best! :mad: If you are going to be a dog be a Marlin BULLDOG!!! :cool:

Chupacabra
12-04-2003, 01:33 PM
fmsc64:
:o Good summary #22, but just remember as you said those dogs want to win more than anything, so watch out. All of us remember the last time we played you guys and we all know Marlin should have won. We purposely played hard teams early on so our team would be tough and ready when it counts. We didn't get this far by sitting down and dancing on the field. The weather will be in our favor since our team practices in all types of weather. Marlin has lots of talented and determined players. This is the last year for several and they have the state win in their minds, hearts and souls! wink It will be a great game and the best will do their best! :mad: If you are going to be a dog be a Marlin BULLDOG!!! :cool: Whoa there buddy, we all know Marlin should have won? I don't think Marlin should have won, they certainly could have won the game, but any game that goes into 3 OTs to me means that the teams were pretty evenly matched and neither "should" have won more than the other.

And the statement about the weather being in Marlin's favor is pretty bunk also. I think both teams have practiced in all sorts of weather...do you think Bellville just calls off practice when the temperature drops below 50 degrees or there are a few raindrops outside?

Bellville 31
Marlin 21

Go team.

CheerMom
12-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Good Luck, Bellville!
Go Raiders!!!

Bellville22
12-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Whatcha got, 73?

sinton66
12-04-2003, 04:12 PM
I like Bellville in this one. I really never have seen Marlin, but I've been following the Brahmas since we played yall in 2001. Go Brahmas!

Bellville22, check your pm's please.

Bellville22
12-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Sinton66, I sent you a reply.

Bellville22
12-04-2003, 08:07 PM
KL3, still waiting on you too.

KL3
12-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Ahh, gameday is just about here. Thank God. Enough with this school stuff, I've been waiting all week for this game. The tail-gate is getting lined up, the food has been ordered, we're about to go college football style on this thing.

I'm not gonna try and review all aspects of the game like 22 did, because my attempt would pale in comparison. But I do have a couple thoughts on this matchup.....

I think the fact that Marlin has been waiting a year to play Bellville again will hurt them more than help them. The Marlin players cannot come out so pumped up that they can't think straight. They, more than Bellville, have to have a good start in this game because like others on this thread have said, Bellville is probably the more poised team and more able to come from behind. And that comes from having a Sr. QB who has been in many pressure situations before. I look for Marlin to make a key mistake early in this game, just like the LG game, but Bellville will be able to capitalize.

I think Bellville will use a lot of play-action and screen plays to offset Marlin's great team speed. On the other side, I think if Bellville can shut down Marlin's running game, and make the Soph. QB beat them passing, they'll be alright. The key for Bellville's D is to tackle, tackle, tackle. Marlin showed La Grange what can happen if you don't wrap up.

I expect a great game, but if Bellville wins by more than 2 TD's, I wouldn't be that surprised. It's not that I think Marlin is that bad, it's just that I think Bellville is that good. Bellville wins 30-20.

FranksBullDog
12-04-2003, 08:16 PM
BV has not faced a defense as quick and aggressive as Marlin! MB 31 BV 14

Bull's-eye
12-04-2003, 08:48 PM
I like your post KL3, a good way to beat speed is to make them head in the wrong direction. Miami had a great game-plan for the speedy Dallas defense. I'm a Cowboy fan, but I respect brilliant play calling.

Brahma73
12-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Bellville22:
Whatcha got, 73?Things that make this year's Brahma team better than last year's (which can also serve as my reasons why I believe Bellville wins over Marlin - a very good football team):

1. Leadership - There are always players on the field who are virtually an extension of the coaching staff. They understand their system, they know their opponent, and they inspire those around them in a way I've not seen before in a Bellville team.

2. Maturity / Experience - These guys have been here before. They have grown from mistakes and tough losses. They are not swayed from their purpose or vision by things that may have distracted them before. They take nothing for granted. They treat each game as a season. The team is laden with seniors who have paid their dues. Their attitude and emotion are controlled and they expect to win.

3. Intelligence / Adaptability - Throw out the cliches about the need to establish the run to set up the pass and vice-versa. This team recognizes and exploits weaknesses in its opponent instantly. They are equally effective running or passing and are quite comfortable doing either. Led by a much more poised and confident QB this year, many more offensive weapons are utilized. The defense is aggressive but disciplined. They rarely get burned twice.

Both of these teams are loaded with athletic playmakers, but I see the Bulls with the edge. Good luck and good health to both!

Bellville 30
Marlin 21

( :o Thanks QB #2)

<small>[ December 04, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Brahma73 ]</small>

Brahma73
12-04-2003, 09:55 PM
For anyone interested, the Cliff Notes version of Bellville22's post to start this topic should be available at the Aggie Bookstore on Monday!! LOL
(Just had to, 22 :p )

Bellville22
12-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Hysterical, are you in that zone again.

FYI, the nerves are kicking in, and to pass the time while I can't sleep tonight, I'm pretty sure I'll watch the tape of last years Possum Bowl.

<small>[ December 04, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Bellville22 ]</small>

marlin fan
12-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Brahma73:
For anyone interested, the Cliff Notes version of Bellville22's post to start this topic should be available at the Aggie Bookstore on Monday!! LOL
(Just had to, 22 :p )LoL you are so funny

Brahma73
12-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Marlin Fan, check your PM.

Bellville22
12-04-2003, 10:10 PM
<small>[ December 04, 2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Bellville22 ]</small>

Brahma73
12-04-2003, 10:22 PM
Bellville22
I totally agree, in context... lol

Rocksolid
12-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Dont get me wrong,Marlin is a great team, and im happy they beat Newton, but Marlin people are the most annoying people on earth and untill Bellville bust out the Ol' whippin stick the annoyance of a Marlin person's posts will stay on this web site and continue to annoy all those who log on and read the topics on 3a downlow and until these neanderthall's are takin care of they will continue to be a nuecence to the community of 3a downlow. I can't wait until the game. Oh and with one last thing to add please bellville if you dont want to beat marlin for yourselves please beat them for 3a downlow I am begging you someone has to put and end to this madness. I hope the madness will end soon very soon because i think i might go crazy if i have to listen to them for another weak. Please beat them i beg you.

Brahma73
12-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Rocksolid:
Dont get me wrong,Marlin is a great team, and im happy they beat Newton, but Marlin people are the most annoying people on earth and untill Bellville bust out the Ol' whippin stick the annoyance of a Marlin person's posts will stay on this web site and continue to annoy all those who log on and read the topics on 3a downlow and until these neanderthall's are takin care of they will continue to be a nuecence to the community of 3a downlow. I can't wait until the game. Oh and with one last thing to add please bellville if you dont want to beat marlin for yourselves please beat them for 3a downlow I am begging you someone has to put and end to this madness. I hope the madness will end soon very soon because i think i might go crazy if i have to listen to them for another weak. Please beat them i beg you.Easy now...step away from the computer and put that mouse down...nice and easy. There! Now take a nice, deep breath. Good...