PDA

View Full Version : Saban says use of slur was taken out of context

wos fan1
02-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Saban says use of slur was taken out of context

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- As an audiotape spread on the Internet, Alabama coach Nick Saban acknowledged Wednesday using a phrase considered derogatory to Cajuns but said he doesn't condone such language and merely was repeating something a friend told him.

Saban, a former LSU and Miami Dolphins coach, used an ethnic slur Jan. 3 while telling Florida reporters in Tuscaloosa an anecdote about an LSU fan's angry reaction to his hiring.

When asked about the LSU fans' reaction, Saban related a phone call from a friend on the LSU board of trustees, whom he did not name. In what seemed to be an attempt at humor, Saban told of the friend's encounter with an LSU fan, who speaks in a Cajun dialect.

"He was walking down the street yesterday before the Sugar Bowl," Saban said on the taped comments. "He calls me. There was a guy working in the ditch, one of those coonass guys that talk funny.

"I can't talk like them, but he can. Most people in Louisiana can."

Continuing to tell the story, Saban then quoted the worker's vulgar comment about Saban going to Alabama.

Saban, in a statement Wednesday, said the word "can be taken as derogatory by some people."

"Those comments need to be placed in the proper context, so as to understand the meaning of what was said," Saban said. "The words were used in paraphrasing a story told to me by a friend. I was simply using the same wording used by the person who told me the story.

"The term in question is not language that I use or condone, and I can understand how some would take offense. However, I think it must be noted that those comments were made 'off the record' and the words merely reflected an anecdote that was told to me using that language."

Warren Perrin, president of the Council for Development of French in Louisiana, said the term is "highly offensive."

"I routinely state that the use of that term is highly offensive to descendants of Acadians, who are commonly referred to as Cajuns," Perrin said.

Alabama spokeswoman Deborah Lane said the university had no comment beyond Saban's statement.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

turbostud
02-02-2007, 12:37 AM
I used to live in Louisiana, work in the southern most parts of the state, and have been back many times and that term was thrown around quite a bit by the people who live there. "highly offensive" is over exaggerating it imo.

mwynn05
02-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
I used to live in Louisiana, work in the southern most parts of the state, and have been back many times and that term was thrown around quite a bit by the people who live there. "highly offensive" is over exaggerating it imo. You could also say that about the "N" word...and we all know it isnt right to use that word

NDFootball
02-02-2007, 05:05 AM
I didn't realize Cajuns were an ethnicity? Can we say West Texans are an ethnicity too? :rolleyes:

bobcat1
02-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Give me rest!!!!!!!!!!! I have quite a few Coonass friends and that is what they call themselves and what I call them. Before long we will be saying "Oh you can't say blonde, brunette, or redhead anymore". Friggin news media, I hate em. :mad:

NDFootball
02-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Give me rest!!!!!!!!!!! I have quite a few Coonass friends and that is what they call themselves and what I call them. Before long we will be saying "Oh you can't say blonde, brunette, or redhead anymore". Friggin news media, I hate em. :mad:
Agreed

Ranger Mom
02-02-2007, 08:39 AM

I agree 100%.......I find the "F" word being thrown around every other word more offensive. Don't even get me started on the "G-D" word!!:rolleyes:

STANG RED
02-02-2007, 08:53 AM

I completely agree. I have many coonass friends myself, and most would probably be offended if I called them anything else. Most of them wear it as a badge of honor.

Phil C
02-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Yes but the Coach should not have used it there. That was what was out of context.

Adidas410s
02-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Yes but the Coach should not have used it there. That was what was out of context.
the coach was also supposed to be "off the record" but one of the reporters (from the Miami Herald of all places) flipped on his recorder w/o anybody knowing...and then passed the tape to a local sports radio show for them to air.

Adidas410s
02-02-2007, 10:18 AM
That's the same thing in Louisiana as the term redneck is anywhere throughout Texas and the south.

44INAROW
02-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Amen....... I guess we can't call the folks in the northern part of LA "stumpjumpers" either :rolleyes:

Phil C
02-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
the coach was also supposed to be "off the record" but one of the reporters (from the Miami Herald of all places) flipped on his recorder w/o anybody knowing...and then passed the tape to a local sports radio show for them to air.

Ad Reporters are known to report things said "Off the Record."

Phil C
02-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Also Ad they should read the dowlow then they would know that at all times they should

BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ranger Mom
02-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Also Ad they should read the dowlow then they would know that at all times they should

BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Being "PC" is overrated and gets you NO WHERE!!

Phil C
02-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Being "PC" is overrated and gets you NO WHERE!!

It is still wise and most proper indeed.

Ranger Mom
02-02-2007, 10:41 AM
It is still wise and most proper indeed.

In some instances, I agree.....others, not so much!!!:)

pirate4state
02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
I agree 100%.......I find the "F" word being thrown around every other word more offensive. Don't even get me started on the "G-D" word!!:rolleyes: Wow - I must really offend you on the phone then!!! :o :D

Ranger Mom
02-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Wow - I must really offend you on the phone then!!! :o :D

No.....it's not every other word, so it's cool!!:evillol:

Txbroadcaster
02-02-2007, 10:50 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Coonass2.jpg

Does not seem to bother them to be called that

luvhoops34
02-02-2007, 10:54 AM
We're all going to get in trouble talking about coonasses instead of dead football players....:eek:

44INAROW
02-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
We're all going to get in trouble talking about coonasses instead of dead football players....:eek:

OK - now I need to clean all this iced tea off my screen:)

Bullaholic
02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
I lived in Lafayette, La for several years. Most Cajuns do not take offense when called a "coonass". They use the term between themselves all of the time. Most consider it an honor to be called a "coonass" because it means you are a real Cajun. They are not too fond of Texans of who think Cajuns are all poor and ignorant and live in the swamp, however.

44INAROW
02-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
They are not too fond of Texans of who think Cajuns are all poor and ignorant and live in the swamp, however.

you mean they don't? :eek:

****I can joke about it since my family tree is 100% Cajun and Coonass and da** proud of it

Bullaholic
02-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
you mean they don't? :eek:

****I can joke about it since my family tree is 100% Cajun and Coonass and da** proud of it

You got dat right, cher.

A visiting Texan should never, ever make the mistake of telling Cajuns how much bigger and better things are in Texas. :D
But, if you learn to accept and respect their ways, the Cajuns are some of the most hospitable and fun-loving folks around.

luvhoops34
02-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I agree 100%.......I find the "F" word being thrown around every other word more offensive. Don't even get me started on the "G-D" word!!:rolleyes:

Uh oh.....You and me definitely don't need to have a face to face convo:o I'm not too bad on G-D but the F word is a whole other story:o

I do clean it up in public places!:D

Ranger Mom
02-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Uh oh.....You and me definitely don't need to have a face to face convo:o I'm not too bad on G-D but the F word is a whole other story:o

I do clean it up in public places!:D

That's my biggest problem....the public places. I was somewhere the other day and was standing around 3 other women, 2 of which were older than me. They are were having a conversation and using the "F" word non stop....if the word could have an adjective in front of it....then "F-ing" was it.

What was bad was there was a car not 5 feet away with it's windows rolled down and 3 small kids sitting in it, hearing every single word.

I'm not proclaiming that I have the cleanest mouth in the world, and when I am mad, I let stuff slip....but geez, I don't just talk like that in front of people I don't know, especially little kids!

pirate4state
02-02-2007, 11:51 AM
That's my biggest problem....the public places. I was somewhere the other day and was standing around 3 other women, 2 of which were older than me. They are were having a conversation and using the "F" word non stop....if the word could have an adjective in front of it....then "F-ing" was it.

What was bad was there was a car not 5 feet away with it's windows rolled down and 3 small kids sitting in it, hearing every single word.

I'm not proclaiming that I have the cleanest mouth in the world, and when I am mad, I let stuff slip....but geez, I don't just talk like that in front of people I don't know, especially little kids!

I try and behave in public, but I can't seem to curb my mouth. To me, I'm just talking. :devil: :D

BuffyMars
02-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by NDFootball
I didn't realize Cajuns were an ethnicity? Can we say West Texans are an ethnicity too? :rolleyes:

There are different sub-cultures within the Cajun community.

I can't remember all of the details (this is from college--I have slept since then...)

But...there are terms for people who are 1/2 cajun, or 1/4 cajun, or 1/16 cajun, etc.

You wouldn't believe the history of the cajuns, it is very fascinating.

kaorder1999
02-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by NDFootball

An ethnicity is not limited to skin color though race is the most common associated with ethnicity. An ethnicity is an association, a background or an allegience. It's an identity within a Cultural Group.

Ranger Mom
02-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
An ethnicity is not limited to skin color. An ethnicity is an association, a background or an allegience.

Wow.....the downlow is an ethnic group all it's own then..........AWESOME!!!

I am PROUD to be called a "Downlower"!!

kaorder1999
02-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Wow.....the downlow is an ethnic group all it's own then..........AWESOME!!!

I am PROUD to be called a "Downlower"!!

:clap: :clap:

bobcat1
02-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You got dat right, cher.

A visiting Texan should never, ever make the mistake of telling Cajuns how much bigger and better things are in Texas. :D
But, if you learn to accept and respect their ways, the Cajuns are some of the most hospitable and fun-loving folks around.
:clap: :clap: Bon ton roullet

Crow22
02-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm coonass and proud of it.

The national media is rediculous.