PDA

View Full Version : Celina residents can sleep better now!

kaorder1999
02-01-2007, 11:47 AM
BREAKING NEWS
Preston Boan, wanted in connection with the beating of his grandparents in Celina last week, was arrested this morning at a park in Caddo County, Oklahoma. Details to come.

BILLYFRED0000
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
BREAKING NEWS
Preston Boan, wanted in connection with the beating of his grandparents in Celina last week, was arrested this morning at a park in Caddo County, Oklahoma. Details to come.

We weren't really all that worried. We knew what he looked like and it was very unlikely that he was coming back without half the time grabbing him......

kaorder1999
02-01-2007, 11:53 AM
haha...what an idiot! He will get his a$$ kicked in prison or jail or wherever he ends up! Don't mess with old people and think you will get away with it!

Phil C
02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
How about those Oklahoma peace officers!!

:clap:

olddawggreen
02-01-2007, 12:28 PM
This is a sad situation and a very disturbed young man, I hope he now gets the help he needs;

Celina couple beaten; grandson sought

Police say 21-year-old with mental problems bludgeoned grandparents

11:03 PM CST on Friday, January 26, 2007
By TIARA M. ELLIS and LAUREN D'AVOLIO / The Dallas Morning News
tellis@dallasnews.com and ldavolio@dallasnews.com

As her elderly parents lay bleeding on the floor, Dorinda Boan locked herself in a bedroom of their home south of Celina and called 911.

"My nephew just tried to kill his grandparents – and he was going to kill me, too," Ms. Boan, 52, told a 911 operator about 4:30 a.m. Friday. "You might want to bring an ambulance, too, because he hit my mother and she's down on the ground and she's got osteoporosis real bad."

Preston Boan Here, in a small, remote home, Ms. Boan's parents struggled to help their grandson, who has a history of mental problems. They live 15 minutes from downtown Celina, on a quiet country road where homes are a half-mile apart and cattle graze. Here, police say, 21-year-old Preston Boan's temper erupted – again.

Mr. Boan, who lives at the home with his grandparents and his aunt, has been arrested at least three times, once on an assault charge. Sheriff's deputies have responded at least 15 times to the residence since 2002 on various disturbance and violence calls.

On Friday morning, Mr. Boan's 74-year-old grandfather, Fred Green, also urged the 911 operator to hurry with help.

"We're hurt bad. His grandmother is bleeding bad," he said of his wife, Willie Green, also in her 70s. "We need an ambulance here now."

Mr. Green told the operator he didn't know where his grandson had fled.

"He grabbed my billfold and my pickup and took off," Mr. Green said.

Also Online

WFAA-TV's Dan Ronan reports

911 audio: Daughter's initial call | Fred Green call
When Collin County sheriff's deputies arrived at the home on County Road 90, they found the Greens had been bludgeoned "an unknown number of times with a wooden dowel," said Lt. John Norton. He said the dowel looked like a clothes rod from a closet.

By Friday evening, authorities were still looking for Mr. Boan and issued an aggravated robbery arrest warrant. He was believed to be driving Mr. Green's 2004 F350 white pickup, license plate 88BBG5.

Mrs. Green was flown to Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, and police described her condition as serious to critical. Mr. Green was released from Presbyterian Hospital of Plano on Friday.

Mr. Boan's mother, Belinda Boan of San Antonio, said her son has been living with her parents since he attempted to choke her in 2003, for which he pleaded guilty.

Court records from that case show that he told a psychiatrist during an evaluation of his mental status that he reached out and grabbed his mother's throat, but immediately let go.

"I said to myself, 'Hey, whoa.' I let go. I didn't want to hurt her," Mr. Boan told the psychiatrist.

Mr. Boan was given a suspended sentence and placed on probation for two years, according to court records.

But that probation was revoked less than six months later for threatening Mr. Green, admitting to using marijuana, failing to keep a job and refusing to take medication as ordered by the court. He was sentenced to nine months in a state jail.

Mr. Boan, who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, was admitted to Green Oaks Behavioral Health Care Service and North Texas State Hospital at Wichita Falls, according to a psychiatric evaluation from Collin County court records.

"You'll find ... that he has had problems for quite a while. I think that we, as a family, have tried to do everything in the world that we can to help him and support him and get treatment for him," said Ms. Boan, 50. She didn't provide details about their attempts.

Mr. Boan is on probation for breaking into a water treatment plant in March and taking a backhoe, Celina Police Chief Cesare Venegoni said. He told police he was trying to use the backhoe to free his grandfather's truck, which was stuck in the mud.

Chief Venegoni said that Mrs. Green, who is a homemaker, would occasionally bring cookies, doughnuts or other desserts to the police station.

"She was sweet as could be," Chief Venegoni said, adding that he knew she was trying to help her grandson by letting him live with her and her husband, who runs a construction business.

Television news trucks lined the winding gravel road in front of the Greens' house Friday morning. A man, who responded to a knock at the Greens' home Friday morning, ordered reporters away from the house. At Lucy's Café in downtown Celina, the owner and her family were saddened to hear of Mrs. Green's injuries.

"Willie is just a very kind woman with a lot of grace and a very determined spunk to her," said cook Krys Murray, 47.

Mrs. Green often came to the diner after the midafternoon rush. She usually had a cup of coffee and a treat, and told stories.

"She is just a person who makes your day," Ms. Murray said.

Marissa Gonzales, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, said she could not discuss whether her agency had ever received reports of elder abuse by Mr. Boan. Reports from Adult Protective Services, a branch of family and protective services, are confidential, she said.

Ms. Gonzales did say Texas reports of elder abuse recently increased.

"We don't know if it's on the rise or people are just reporting more now," she said. "People are becoming more aware of when to report and what they should look for."

In 2005, there were 7.1 incidents per 1,000 elderly people in North Texas, based on the number of confirmed cases that APS investigated. Adult children were most often the abuser – they accounted for 40 percent of the abuse. Spouses were second, with 15 percent. Grandchildren were third, at 9 percent.

Experts say finding assistance can be a challenge. Texas mental services have trouble meeting the need, said Ron Homburg, the legal director for the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

"I'm not surprised that he [Mr. Boan] wasn't receiving treatment. But was the treatment available to him or not?" Mr. Homburg said. "Some people when they become very symptomatic become reluctant to participate in treatment.

"The sad reality is that a small percentage of people that need treatment are actually getting it," he said.

Ms. Boan said her son was given many different diagnoses but never any real help or solutions.

"I have hoped and prayed that he would recover. And I thought he was getting somewhat better," she said. "In fact, we all thought he was getting better. But apparently that's not the case."

Staff writer Jennifer Emily contributed this report.

bobcat1
02-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Sounds to me like he might need a little tweak between the ears.

SintonFan
02-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Sounds to me like he might need a little tweak between the ears.
Or that little bit of hair just in front of the ears. "PULL GRANDMA PULL!!!":clap:

BILLYFRED0000
02-01-2007, 01:42 PM
It is sad when a mental illness goes untreated. Bi Polar is very very difficult to live with. The chemical imbalance is poorly understood and difficult to treat in the best of circumstances and Preston, when not out of balance seems like a nice guy. But then
he would fly off the handle for no reason. Sometimes he would catch himself but more often not. I hope they can take care of him till he gets recovered. And I really hope that no one he loves
has to take the punishment anymore. Because they suffer more than he does.

Ranger Mom
02-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
It is sad when a mental illness goes untreated. Bi Polar is very very difficult to live with. The chemical imbalance is poorly understood and difficult to treat in the best of circumstances and Preston, when not out of balance seems like a nice guy. But then
he would fly off the handle for no reason. Sometimes he would catch himself but more often not. I hope they can take care of him till he gets recovered. And I really hope that no one he loves
has to take the punishment anymore. Because they suffer more than he does.

One thing I have never understood is this....my coworker has a son who has been diagnosed with just "anxiety" and prescribed medication, which he refuses to take.

I know that bi-polar and ADD/ADHD disorders seem to have patients with the same problem...NOT taking their medicine.

I don't get that....if it makes you better and more in control, why wouldn't you WANT to take it??