PDA

View Full Version : Jasper looking for a new head coach

Jason1725
02-01-2007, 12:06 AM
It was reported on the news tonight that Coach Danny Lauve is the new head coach at Elgin(sp) So Jasper begins the search for a new head coach.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Jason1725
It was reported on the news tonight that Coach Danny Lauve is the new head coach at Elgin(sp) So Jasper begins the search for a new head coach.

More money would be a factor, with Elgin that close to Austin that school will grow.

Bull's-eye
02-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
More money would be a factor, with Elgin that close to Austin that school will grow.

What will they grow?? :eek:

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
What will they grow?? :eek:

turnups and juju beans.

JHS_c/o_06'
02-01-2007, 03:11 AM
i just died a little on the inside.....and i might cry over this. He was like a father to me. In fact he was....i consider him to be my second father. I know i'm talking about him like he died or something. And he will just be about 20 min from where i will be in college. But...wow. You know someone for 4 years, and get the kind of group of seniors we had and how close he was to us. And you can't help but be sad when he leaves. I'll never forget. He talked me into doing a reporting thing for varsity while i was till on JV. And he me and him went to Beaumont to go to the training course. Afterwards, we went out to eat. And i really got to talk to him alot about things. I mean, i had talked to him before in his office. But just small talk and things about college. But i asked him about his other coaching jobs and his high school career of football and things of that nature. And i will never, ever til the day i die forget one thing he told me. Note that this was the year we went to the state finals and this was before playoff time........in fact it was the night before we were embarrassed by Kirbyville at our homecoming. I asked him, i said "coach, you have to tell me what it's like....what is it like to win the state championship." He said "Ian....it's the greatest feeling in the world. As the clock runs out....and you get to run to the middle of the field with the rest of your team....theres nothing better." He was also the only man that i know who could give a speech and tell you the same thing 4 times very little differences in the same speech and make you think he said 4 completely different things. He is a great person, a great coach, leader and mentor. That man changed my life. It's the things he brought to Jasper Football that changed me into the person that i am today. I went from being a slacker who just got by to a leader who is proud of everything i do. He taught me to set huge goals and go for it no matter what. Like my music career that i want one day. Unlike other people in my life and even some of my family. He told me that i have it in me to do whatever i want to do and that i should go for it. And that means everything in the world to me. Wherever he goes, they better realize that the are the luckiest school in the state of Texas. And i would hope to God that the JISD school board didn't let him go for some stupid reason, because if they did, they are idiots. He deserves every single penny he gets plus so much more. You've heard what he has done for me...and in 5 years at Jasper im sure im not the only one. You can't put a price on that.

Haunta Yo
02-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
i just died a little on the inside.....and i might cry over this. He was like a father to me. In fact he was....i consider him to be my second father. ... He is a great person, a great coach, leader and mentor. That man changed my life. It's the things he brought to Jasper Football that changed me into the person that i am today. I went from being a slacker who just got by to a leader who is proud of everything i do. He taught me to set huge goals and go for it no matter what. Like my music career that i want one day. Unlike other people in my life and even some of my family. He told me that i have it in me to do whatever i want to do and that i should go for it. And that means everything in the world to me. Wherever he goes, they better realize that the are the luckiest school in the state of Texas.

That's a pretty impressive endorsement '06.

Bulldog_12
02-01-2007, 03:41 AM
Im gonna need a link to this story.

spiveyrat
02-01-2007, 08:10 AM
No! Not again!!! :bigcry:

kaorder1999
02-01-2007, 09:02 AM
wow...interesting!

burnet44
02-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Danny is a great guy
an ol Hamshire boy
Ive known him and his family forever
great guy
good coach
elgin did well getting him
he will do well
best of luck danny

JasperDog94
02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
This bites.:( :bigcry: :bigcry:

JHS_c/o_06'
02-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
That's a pretty impressive endorsement '06.

I stand by every word of it til the day i die.

wos fan1
02-01-2007, 05:47 PM
http://216.87.159.39/sports/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=826

Bulldog_12
02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
http://216.87.159.39/sports/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=826

I love how that site figure out ACCEPTED.

JHS_c/o_06'
02-02-2007, 02:12 AM
i called coach lauve today.....he said that they are moving within about 3- 5 weeks most likely. He wont find out for sure until tomorrow (later today rather). He is going to Elgin and will be the head coach/athletic director there. He is taking coach Patrick Foerester with him. And Coach Eric Farrar is expected to get the job. At least he should. Any man who can tell , from watching game film, that if the center has his right foot slightly forward....its going to be pass....and if left foot is on his tip-toe....its going to be run....he should get the head coaching job. But the best of 3a better be ready.....if Eric Farrar gets the job.....Jasper will be the hardest hitting defense in the state of Texas.

spiveyrat
02-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I love how that site figure out ACCEPTED.

Wow! :eek: How do you get a job in communications with such bad spelling??? :thinking:

spiveyrat
02-02-2007, 08:11 AM
He is going to Elgin and will be the head coach/athletic director there. He is taking coach Patrick Foerester with him.

Isn't that where Tim Ratcliff went? :thinking:

burnet44
02-02-2007, 09:07 AM
congrats danny

worldbfree
02-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Ratcliff went to Elkhart.

spiveyrat
02-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by worldbfree
Ratcliff went to Elkhart.

OH! Yep, you're right! :doh:

SilsbeeD
02-02-2007, 01:51 PM
.....Jasper will be the hardest hitting defense in the state of Texas.

Doubtful

kepdawg
02-02-2007, 01:55 PM
i called coach lauve today.....he said that they are moving within about 3- 5 weeks most likely. He wont find out for sure until tomorrow (later today rather). He is going to Elgin and will be the head coach/athletic director there. He is taking coach Patrick Foerester with him. And Coach Eric Farrar is expected to get the job. At least he should. Any man who can tell , from watching game film, that if the center has his right foot slightly forward....its going to be pass....and if left foot is on his tip-toe....its going to be run....he should get the head coaching job. But the best of 3a better be ready.....if Eric Farrar gets the job.....Jasper will be the hardest hitting defense in the state of Texas.

Coach Farrar? :thinking:

JHS_c/o_06'
02-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Coach Farrar? :thinking:

Yeah.....the current DC. He's a great man and a great coach.

as to SilsbeeD....good to hear from you again man. I could say...well....you obviously dont know coach farrar....then you could say....well you obviously dont know coach (insert silsbee's head coach here). The same could be said by anyone here about their school's coach. We'll just have to wait for Week Zero i suppose.

Bulldog92
02-02-2007, 03:24 PM
What a shock! Being so far away, I have no idea what's going on or how it's impacted you all back home. He seems like a good man and I'm glad that he's done so much in his few years there. Who else will be in the candidate pool besides Coach Farrar?

SilsbeeD
02-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah.....the current DC. He's a great man and a great coach.

as to SilsbeeD....good to hear from you again man. I could say...well....you obviously dont know coach farrar....then you could say....well you obviously dont know coach (insert silsbee's head coach here). The same could be said by anyone here about their school's coach. We'll just have to wait for Week Zero i suppose.

Just going off the past season they had...didnt say they wouldnt. Was just saying it was doubtful. Dont get all butthurt. ;)

Jason1725
02-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I am glad a change will happen on offence because it wasn't very good last year.

JHS_c/o_06'
02-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog92
Who else will be in the candidate pool besides Coach Farrar?

I don't know of anyone else....but i would hope no one else. He deserves the job and would be excellent at it.

Bulldog92
02-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I don't know of anyone else....but i would hope no one else. He deserves the job and would be excellent at it.

I'm sure he would and all of you that know Eric and have played for him would know better than us guys that were there years ago. I just grew up (as a lot of us did) with Coach Walkoviak being there and the whole staff pretty much intact for years, so it's hard to get used to coaches coming and going as often as they have since he left.

Hupernikomen
02-02-2007, 07:11 PM

There are other past Jasper coaches that very well might be interested. Will be interesting to see who throws their hat into the rink. Jasper hasn't tended to hire from within of late.

Bulldog92
02-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
There are other past Jasper coaches that very well might be interested. Will be interesting to see who throws their hat into the rink. Jasper hasn't tended to hire from within of late.

They had a ton of guys interested when Brooks left, so I would hope that it would be no different this time around.

AggiesAreWe
02-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Someone needs to come in there and turn it around. This year's Jasper team was one of the worst Bulldog teams I have seen in quite some time. Mind you I only saw them once this year, the Silsbee game, but it was enough to draw my opinion on. They only played 2 1/2 quarters before it was called due to bad weather but it was over already, 35-0 at the time. I had never seen a Jasper team that was completely out manned and so unagressive as that team I saw that night. Silsbee could have scored 60 that night. I hope the Dawgs get back on track.

BigTex
02-03-2007, 12:51 AM
If they have a brain in their head they will hire Coach Milton Brack!;)

Bulldog92
02-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by BigTex

I love Coach Brack as much as anybody, but if he wanted that job he'd have gotten it years ago. I'd love to see it, but I don't know if that's something he wants to do. We need a lifer like him that bleeds crimson, but I'm not sure that's possible anymore. I always thought Coach Pickle would have been a good fit, but like most of the staples from those 80's and 90's coaching staffs, he's not coaching anymore.

JasperDog94
02-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm sure he would and all of you that know Eric and have played for him would know better than us guys that were there years ago. I just grew up (as a lot of us did) with Coach Walkoviak being there and the whole staff pretty much intact for years, so it's hard to get used to coaches coming and going as often as they have since he left. But coaches tend to leave when schools are decreasing in size. Not always (Newton and WOS) but that's usually the case.

spiveyrat
02-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by BigTex

He's probably looking retirement straight in the eye about now. :thinking:

j_dog
02-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
He's probably looking retirement straight in the eye about now. :thinking:
looking at it!?? he already is older than dirt!!! :D

j_dog
02-03-2007, 12:35 PM
They had a ton of guys interested when Brooks left, so I would hope that it would be no different this time around.
There are ALWAYS a ton of guys interested in Jasper. Not great pay, but there is always a good supply of athletes. Certainly not division I talent every year, but the talent is good enough that they should not be embarrassed on the field. So what good young coach would not be attracted to a school like Jasper?

j_dog
02-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm sure he would and all of you that know Eric and have played for him would know better than us guys that were there years ago. I just grew up (as a lot of us did) with Coach Walkoviak being there and the whole staff pretty much intact for years, so it's hard to get used to coaches coming and going as often as they have since he left.
Walkoviak was the exception. Practically every other football coach Jasper has had has apparently looked at Jasper only as a stepping stone. I think that is why he was so consistently successful.

burnet44
02-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Ive just heard that Jasper may not be what they once were
not stiring the pot
but I have a bunch of friends in the business
Jasper may get better but they
may never be as good as they were
I havent seen a 40.09 4 by 1 come out of there lately
im sure the bulldogs will be ok
but expectations of once was has hurt many a program

ask
Permian
Midland Lee
Dangerfield
Pilot Point
The Cowboys
Texas A and M
Sealy
Beckville
Hamlin
and others

many school are losing enrollment
many in rural areas
It has hurt a lot of programs
and the communities have a hard time understanding
why?

best of luck to the bulldogs

who ever you hire
give them a fair chance
it may not happen overnight

Bulldog92
02-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
There are ALWAYS a ton of guys interested in Jasper. Not great pay, but there is always a good supply of athletes. Certainly not division I talent every year, but the talent is good enough that they should not be embarrassed on the field. So what good young coach would not be attracted to a school like Jasper?
Okay...having said that, what do you think Chris Coleman will do? Does he promote someone already on the staff like Farrar or wait and see who's interested? I'd love to see some continuity in the program, but who knows where that would come from?

Astrosdawg07
02-03-2007, 02:13 PM
I was informed yesterday that Farrar was Lauve's choice to replace him...So hope that happens. You know I would think Lauve should have some say in the choice considering Lauve was also the A.D. Its not like Lauve was fired...

j_dog
02-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
Ive just heard that Jasper may not be what they once were
not stiring the pot
but I have a bunch of friends in the business
Jasper may get better but they
may never be as good as they were
I havent seen a 40.09 4 by 1 come out of there lately
im sure the bulldogs will be ok
but expectations of once was has hurt many a program
Some years are up, some are down. The 02 club was a "once in a century" type club so no one in Jasper seriously thinks they will have those type athletes all at the same time again. But they do, and will have some very good athletes.

Speaking of another 40.09 4 by 1 not coming out of Jasper, how many other 40.09 4 by 1 have come from anywhere since then? That time, which was a national record for some six years is (I feel pretty sure) still a top ten national time. Jasper does not have to produce national records every year to be considered "good". If that were the test, then very few schools would ever be considered "good". There have been several Jasper athletes go on to play major league professional ball who were not "national" champions. James Hadnot and Eugene Seale are a couple football names that come to mind.

Astrosdawg07
02-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Some years are up, some are down. The 02 club was a "once in a century" type club so no one in Jasper seriously thinks they will have those type athletes all at the same time again. But they do, and will have some very good athletes.

Speaking of another 40.09 4 by 1 not coming out of Jasper, how many other 40.09 4 by 1 have come from anywhere since then? That time, which was a national record for some six years is (I feel pretty sure) still a top ten national time. Jasper does not have to produce national records every year to be considered "good". If that were the test, then very few schools would ever be considered "good". There have been several Jasper athletes go on to play major league professional ball who were not "national" champions. James Hadnot and Eugene Seale are a couple football names that come to mind.

I think soon we will be able to add Sean Weatherspoon to the list...

j_dog
02-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I think soon we will be able to add Sean Weatherspoon to the list...
Absolutely! He is an amazing athlete! :) I will never forget that one handed catch he made in the end zone after he was tackled BEFORE the ball got to him. And no flag thrown! Nuts!

JasperDog94
02-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Walkoviak was the exception. Practically every other football coach Jasper has had has apparently looked at Jasper only as a stepping stone. I think that is why he was so consistently successful. Yeah, consistently out of the playoffs in the first 2 rounds. Walkoviak was a good coach, but not a great coach.

j_dog
02-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Yeah, consistently out of the playoffs in the first 2 rounds. ....
Like the years immediately after he left the program? Like this past year? :) 2 and 8 teams generally don't have to worry about losing in the second round. :) If you gauge success for never having lost a second round game, then a team just south of Silsbee would be a good example. In fact they have NEVER lost a playoff game in their history from what I hear. Now, if they ever GET TO the playoffs, that might change ........ ;)

Love him, or hate him, I think the fact is that Jasper coaches today still benefit from the tradition he helped build. But my point was that he said he came to stay, and he did.

I feel sure he also had his opportunities to go to better paying jobs.

Bulldog92
02-05-2007, 10:43 PM
He had one that I know of after the '92-93 school year....but he chose to stay home after a lot of deliberation...

JasperDog94
02-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Like the years immediately after he left the program? Like this past year? :) 2 and 8 teams generally don't have to worry about losing in the second round. :) If you gauge success for never having lost a second round game, then a team just south of Silsbee would be a good example. In fact they have NEVER lost a playoff game in their history from what I hear. Now, if they ever GET TO the playoffs, that might change ........ ;)

Love him, or hate him, I think the fact is that Jasper coaches today still benefit from the tradition he helped build. But my point was that he said he came to stay, and he did.

I feel sure he also had his opportunities to go to better paying jobs. All I'm trying to say is that Walkoviak could never get over that hurdle. He never made it past the third round. With all of that talent he had, he could never make it happen. He was waaaaaaay too predictable.

I like the creativity of the recent coaches. Each of the past two coaches made it as far or farther in the playoffs than Walkoviak ever did. 3 straight years of semi-finals or better is pretty good if you ask me. I know they struggled this year. Everything seemed to fall apart after the hurricane. I'm not sure why, but it did.

It's unfortunate that Coach Lauve is leaving after having this kind of season. I wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.

j_dog
02-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
All I'm trying to say is that Walkoviak could never get over that hurdle. He never made it past the third round. With all of that talent he had, he could never make it happen. He was waaaaaaay too predictable.

I like the creativity of the recent coaches. Each of the past two coaches made it as far or farther in the playoffs than Walkoviak ever did. 3 straight years of semi-finals or better is pretty good if you ask me. I know they struggled this year. Everything seemed to fall apart after the hurricane. I'm not sure why, but it did.

It's unfortunate that Coach Lauve is leaving after having this kind of season. I wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.
Hey, I liked the creativity of the current coaches. And I am sorry to see Lauve go. He did a great job.

But you are comparing apples and oranges. Walkoviak throughout his time at Jasper had a small 4a enrollment generally always playing schools with far more enrollment. He even scheduled, and usually beat some big 5a schools. On the other hand in the past five years Jasper has been the big dog in enrollment playing schools smaller in almost every case in district and in the playoffs. Heck, Jasper was supposed to be winning. Even against Gilmer Jasper had a big edge in enrollment.

And, in spite of the enrollment handicap Walkoviak worked with, I venture to guess that his winning percentage would stack up quite well against any of the other coaches Jasper has had before or after him. If my memory serves me right the ONLY "losing" season he had in 20 years was 4-5 in 1985. He responded in 1986 by going all the way to QF losing only by six points to eventual state champion WOS, and a DB named Kevin Smith who played several years for the Dallas Cowboys. I say give Walkoviak the credit he is due for putting Jasper football on the map.