PDA

View Full Version : Hutto's Athletic Renovations Includes New Fieldhouse,Track & Turf

ILS1
01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Just think,the HS isn't even 8 years old yet!!! Wow!!

What is cheerfully known as home of the “Hippo Nation” is expected to undergo major renovations and expansion in the near future. The facelift of athletic facilities at Hutto High School won't come cheaply, though. It will cost approximately $4.4 million, but is much needed for a growing school district, Superintendent David Borrer and other school officials said.

On Jan. 23 a workshop was held at the Hutto Independent School District's administration building so that trustees could learn from Brad Pfluger, president and principal-in-charge of Pfluger Associates Architects of Austin, and Borrer about plans to expand and improve the stadium and adjacent facilities in many ways. Also attending the meeting were Janiece Nelson, girls' athletic director at HHS and Lee Penland, boys' athletic director at HHS.

For a school with a student population that's already burgeoning, the renovations will be necessary to accommodate the students and fans who want to see their Hippos compete, Borrer said. When all renovations and additions are completed at the high school, it is expected to accommodate 2,400 students, doubling its capacity.

In last November's bond election $85.2 million was approved by voters to fund construction of the district's fifth elementary school, a second middle school and expansion of the high school.

Plans for athletic facilities include a multi-sport field house with a cost of $2.5 million, synthetic turf on the stadium's field and field and track renovations for $1.2 million, stadium seating expansion with new bleachers for $206,437 and restroom additions for $240,750.

Pfluger said the subtotal for the improvements and renovations will cost approximately $4.2 million with a soft cost of 20 percent above the $3 million dollar allowance for a total of $4.4 million for the entire project.

In his presentation to trustees, Pfluger said there are options for stretching the district's budget.

To help pay for the athletic facilities renovations and improvements, the district might consider interest earnings, a reduction of project scope in other areas, a partial finish out of the field house, deferring bus maintenance facility work and bidding on another project at the same time the athletic facilities construction and renovation is taken out for bids. Since the meeting was a workshop, no action was taken regarding the expenditure of money, but Pfluger sought to give trustees information about possible avenues to have funds for the athletic-related renovations and expansion.

Pfluger presented trustees a floor plan for the field house. He said it has been changed twice within the last few days and is preliminary. He said it is possible the field house would be situated near the field, allowing people inside to look out onto the field, as is the situation at some other high schools.

Borrer said he has met with Nelson and Penland to see what they think is needed to meet the needs of so many students who are often-times tightly packed into the single weight room at the school. The superintendent said one of the most important things to consider while planning is to ensure there is ample locker space for all students and the district complies with Title IX, which mandates that equal opportunities exist for both boys and girls if a school receives federal assistance.

If the HISD builds a second high school to accommodate student population growth, Borrer said the district may be able to go back and re-renovate the old school facilities, but for now, the biggest priority is ensuring there is enough room for students to dress before and after competition and practice, and for everyone to have space to sit and enjoy athletic events.

Synthetic turf has also become a priority in the planning process for the athletic facilities, the superintendent said, adding that the track is, “in desperate need of repair.” He said he has been told by many people that they support the idea of having synthetic turf on the field.

Trustee Byron McDaniel and Board President Wes Sawyer said having synthetic turf would allow the district to host playoffs.

“Nobody wants dirt,” Sawyer said.

Borrer said district planners should keep in mind that the system may go from a 3A to a 4A or 5A designation and the renovations and improvements will help the system in this regard.

Nelson said easing the weight room crunch will definitely be a welcomed change.

“Right now we're constantly fighting for time to be in there,” she said.

Penland said he agrees with Nelson that space is often times extremely sparse in the weight room.

“We're starting to outgrow that facility,” he said. “We can't get all the boys' sports in the weight room at the same time.”

“Scheduling wise, it's a nightmare,” Nelson said about the weight room.

Penland said if the district becomes 4A, it may add soccer to the list of sports it offers at the school.

Trustee Darrell Barker asked about the field house, which will be designed for many sports. He was told it could accommodate football, soccer, baseball, softball, and track teams. He also said he would like for the district to wisely spend the $3 million allotment for the athletic facilities.

“We have tremendous accountability,” he said.

Story Link (www.thehuttonews.com/articles/2007/01/31/sports/news01.txt)

buff4life
01-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Hutto's stands are pretty smalll...but geez..wish Giddings had that kind of money

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Hutto will most likley grow out of 3a soon. Sounds like a good plan.

thatsminty
01-31-2007, 11:01 PM
breaks my heart how a small town has now turned into another small place full of untelligent as well as disrespectful youths.

oh well...

Adidas410s
01-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by thatsminty
breaks my heart how a small town has now turned into another small place full of untelligent as well as disrespectful youths.

oh well...

:confused:

thatsminty
01-31-2007, 11:06 PM
:( i just hate change

Gobbla2001
01-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by thatsminty
:( i just hate change

I want some biscuits

thatsminty
01-31-2007, 11:10 PM
oh yeah? you should come hang out then...

i dont have biscuits or anything, but I have some puppy biscuits that are old that I'm in need of getting rid of.... ;)

Dogman_1969
01-31-2007, 11:15 PM
When will they complete the field turf???

ILS1
02-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
When will they complete the field turf???

By this next football season if I'm not mistaken.

:D

Panther One
02-01-2007, 12:48 PM
It would be nice if Liberty Hill could get the ball rolling and start being proactive, seeing that within the next 5-10 years, we'll be going through the same thing. We're still competing with 2A facilities. Maybe even 1A. Not to mention we're in serious need for school additions. I was hoping we'd get a bond out there for election while everyone was still on the state championship high.

LH Panther Mom
02-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
It would be nice if Liberty Hill could get the ball rolling and start being proactive, seeing that within the next 5-10 years, we'll be going through the same thing. We're still competing with 2A facilities. Maybe even 1A. Not to mention we're in serious need for school additions. I was hoping we'd get a bond out there for election while everyone was still on the state championship high.
No joke!

JR2004
02-02-2007, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
I was hoping we'd get a bond out there for election while everyone was still on the state championship high.

Now would be a great time for y'all to do it. Gatesville took a good chunk of the extra revenue generated by their state title run in 2000 and built an entirely new press box at McKamie and added a 40 yard long artificial turf practice field across from the stadium. It took a little while to get it done, but winning that state title sure helped to get it done.

Heck even Madison was able to finally get a track built at the high school last year after they began to turn things around in football and make the playoffs again. They also got some new goalposts out of the deal. If only they'd get those kids a weight room so they wouldn't have to work out in that sub-varsity locker room/old boiler room. They actually have to put some of the benches in the shower area behind the lockers because there is nowhere else to put the weights (most of which appear to be from the 70's). It still blows my mind how awful some of their facilities are.