PDA

View Full Version : So it turns out...

BuffyMars
01-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Texas kids weren't the only ones.

I am not sure if this has been posted as of yet, but...

NOT TO START ANY CONTROVERSY :foul:

But...Tarleton was not the only one.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0130072clemson1.html

Maroon87
01-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Isn't South Carolina where they just recently stopped flying the Confederate flag over the state capitol?:thinking:

jason
01-31-2007, 12:59 PM
in response to the Tarleton incident...
this is from the Tarleton web site...

As president of Tarleton State University, I’d like to share with you a statement that will appear in Sunday’s ( January 28) edition of the Stephenville Empire-Tribune.

Letter from the President

On Mon., Jan. 15, the national holiday to celebrate the birth and many accomplishments of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a group of Tarleton students planned and participated in an off-campus ‘MLK’ party. Some students attending the party came dressed as African-American stereotypes.

Pictures taken at the party were then posted on Facebook.com, a popular college networking Web site.

Eventually, knowledge of the pictures spread until some students, bothered by what they saw, confronted their classmates who had organized the party and taken the pictures.

University officials, including myself, were informed of the happenings on Tues., Jan. 23. Immediately, action was taken to initiate an investigation into the matter. A campus-wide forum was scheduled for Wednesday evening, Jan. 24, to allow students to express their concerns, comments and suggestions.

More than 350 individuals attended the forum, which lasted for nearly three hours. It was an open forum. Speaker after speaker shared ideas and feelings about the MLK party.

With media and the Internet, it didn’t take long for the story to leave the campus and be reported nationwide. On Thursday, local, state and national media converged on Tarleton’s campus to investigate, gather quotes and ‘sound bites’ for their reports.

Wanda Mercer, Vice President for Student Life; Donald ‘D. Ray’ Elder, president of the campus chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People; Student Body President Casey Hogan; and many other campus leaders and students stepped forward to offer their input and sound judgment. Although some of the events of the last few days have been upsetting, it has offered members of the Tarleton community wonderful opportunities to become better listeners and, hopefully, gain greater understanding of others.

Wednesday night’s forum was a serious effort to encourage campus-wide dialog. Based on what I have witnessed in subsequent efforts and statements from our students, I am confident the forum was successful.

Where do we go from here? The groundwork for establishing an on-going and serious dialog among members of Tarleton’s campus has been created. Let us not waste the opportunity to grow as individuals and to seek a deeper understanding of the cultures that surround us.

The Tarleton community will emerge from this experience much stronger than ever. We need only to engage and take responsibility for who we are and who we want to become.

We can all start by attending the Student Government Association’s Unity Rally on Thurs., Feb. 1 at the Hunewell Bandstand at 6 p.m. The purpose of the rally is to unite the Tarleton family and community behind the university and for what it stands.

In addition, February is Black History Month. I cannot think of a better way to continue our path to increase our understanding of others than to make the most of this opportunity.

Sincerely,

Dennis P. McCabe

Tarleton State University President

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”—Martin Luther King, Jr.

Keith7
01-31-2007, 01:32 PM
two wrongs don't make a right.. I don't care where the party was located, the whole point of it was wrong and the oppisite of what Martin Luther King day was meant for..