PDA

View Full Version : skiing anyone?

pirate44
01-31-2007, 10:31 AM
planning a skiing trip for december or beginning of next year. it'll be my first time. ive gotten advice to go to Breckenridge (CO), Red River (NM). ive also had thoughts on lake tahoe (NV/CA), crested butte (CO).
any advice or suggestions would be greatly welcomed. im doing this early, because id like to put away a couple hundred bucks per paycheck to pay for it. i have a wife and a son (will be 4 years old then at the time of the trip.) thanks.:)

CHS_Grad '85
01-31-2007, 10:49 AM
I've been to Angel Fire NM, it was beautiful for not having any snow... I went Jan. 2006... my friend has been to several resorts & she recommends Red River... and she skied Aspen...

pirate4state
01-31-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't know about Lake Tahoe. In all my years as a travel agent I didn't book one ski trip there.

Crested Butte
Vail
Aspen
Breckenridge
Telluride

I know I'm leaving some out. :confused: I always hated booking ski trips, but I don't know why.

spiveyrat
01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
I've only been once. Went to Winter Park (CO). It was nice. Had 3 mountains to ski.

pirate44
01-31-2007, 11:01 AM
i hate going someplace blindly, so im leaning toward Breckenridge or Red River, since i can get first hand info of what to do and how to do it. Since my boss has been to both places. he says Red River is very family oriented

pirate44
01-31-2007, 03:22 PM
my first online "estimate" was over $3000.
i REALLY hope there are more reasonable prices

pirate4state
01-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
my first online "estimate" was over $3000.
i REALLY hope there are more reasonable prices that is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to high.....keep looking

GreenMachine
01-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Have been skiing at Ruidoso, Angelfire, Steamboat Colorado, and Heavenly at Lake Tahoe. Loved Steamboat, but Heavenly is just as the name describes. There is not a prettier place in the US. Plus, after skiing all day, you have gambling at night. :thumbsup:

Gobbla2001
01-31-2007, 05:12 PM
If you like Texas Music, go to Steamboat Springs, CO... they have "Music Fest" every January... skiing and live Texas/Red Dirt/Genuine music...

but it's really crowded that time of the year so maybe not...

I'm going in '09 I think...

pirate44
01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Have been skiing at Ruidoso, Angelfire, Steamboat Colorado, and Heavenly at Lake Tahoe. Loved Steamboat, but Heavenly is just as the name describes. There is not a prettier place in the US. Plus, after skiing all day, you have gambling at night. :thumbsup:
the last tripwe planned, but due to work, had to cancel was to heavenly. im not sure about there, but id love to go somewhere that has that "ski village" atmosphere. i found Northstar @ tahoe that was rated very highly for famliy/kid friendly. the village looked amazing with a big ice skating rink in the center of the village. the problem is, the rates seem outrageous. :(

GreenMachine
01-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Steamboat has that nice ski village atmsosphere, but it is pricey. Heavenly's lift tickets are expensive, but you can get some great packages with hotels.

GreenMachine
01-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Heavenly definitely does not have that ski village atmsosphere.

pirate44
02-02-2007, 08:03 AM
has anyone heard any good things about Pergatory/Durango?