PDA

View Full Version : Palo Dura vs Randell, incident

sectionCwannabe
01-30-2007, 11:12 PM
I just watched the news and thwere was a story about a game last friday between Palo Duro and Randel High. Palo Duro high school is mostly african american kids.
A student from randell threw a banana onto the court, its kinda started an uproar and people are claiming it was a "racial act"

what do you think?
edited to say, this was a boys basketball game, Palo Duro hasnt lost a district game in 50+ games.

RMAC
01-30-2007, 11:13 PM
See Graham v. Hirshi of '05. Enjoy.

JR2004
01-31-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by sectionCwannabe
I just watched the news and thwere was a story about a game last friday between Palo Duro and Randel High. Palo Duro high school is mostly african american kids.
A student from randell threw a banana onto the court, its kinda started an uproar and people are claiming it was a "racial act"

what do you think?
edited to say, this was a boys basketball game, Palo Duro hasnt lost a district game in 50+ games.

I think you know the answer to this. There's just a lot of ignorant folks in this world. The year before Madison started winning in football again they had an incident in one of the mostly white country towns where the PA guy was using racial slurs during the game. It's amazing how stupid people can still be over someone's skin color.

luvhoops34
01-31-2007, 09:08 AM
I bet it was a kid who threw the banana. And kids do stupid stuff, mainly to get a laugh from peers.

We had a male parent in boys basketball who was very vocal when his son was playing. During a very close game with Brookshire Royal he let out a racial slur. I knew who it was without even looking! And this was up at St. Ed's in Austin, and the gym was packed! I was so embarrassed, as I'm sure the rest of our fans were.

I think our AD got ahold of him and either told him to shut up or leave. This parent was always a jerk at games and a big source of embarrassment.

Rabbit'93
01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
I think you know the answer to this. There's just a lot of ignorant folks in this world. The year before Madison started winning in football again they had an incident in one of the mostly white country towns where the PA guy was using racial slurs during the game. It's amazing how stupid people can still be over someone's skin color. What town and what slur?

eagles_victory
01-31-2007, 10:58 AM
There was a case in football in the centex area close to this. The rednecks of Riesel upset because they were getting beat began to call Marlin players racial slurs like porch monkey (even though according to clerks II not a racial term)

its still amazing to me that this is still an issue in 2007. Most towns and schools I know would be straight embarassed if someone pulled a senseless act like this.

Didnt Justin Mason play for Palo Duro?

sectionCwannabe
01-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
What town and what slur?

Amarillo-Randell was playing Canyon-Palo Duro

sectionCwannabe
01-31-2007, 11:39 AM
here is a link to the story and a video clip
http://www.newschannel10.com/Global/story.asp?S=6013524

eagles72
01-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Amarillo-Randell was playing Canyon-Palo Duro

It is Amarillo Palo Duro and Canyon Randall. Just for the record, Canyon High School and Canyon Randall are ONLY in the same school district, that is the only thing they have in common, just in case the question comes up.

Rabbit'93
01-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Amarillo-Randell was playing Canyon-Palo Duro I was asking JR2004 about his post.

Black_Magic
01-31-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by eagles72
It is Amarillo Palo Duro and Canyon Randall. Just for the record, Canyon High School and Canyon Randall are ONLY in the same school district, that is the only thing they have in common, just in case the question comes up. sounds like they have a little more in common than that. this is the kind of thing I have seen on here about Canyon just not racial.:rolleyes:

eagles72
01-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
sounds like they have a little more in common than that. this is the kind of thing I have seen on here about Canyon just not racial.:rolleyes:

This may be just my opinion, but the racial crap is a whole lot worse!!

Black_Magic
01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Your right. but it is just one student. that could have happened at any place.

eagles72
01-31-2007, 12:48 PM
You are right it was just one student that threw the banana on the court, but it was several making the noises, but you are right, it could have happened anywhere. I just feel sorry for the PD guys, that shouldn't have happened to them.

sweetwater07
01-31-2007, 02:45 PM
i'm not condoning this behavior at all..but in the midst of a game or sport event of the like.....competativeness warrants regrettable behavior....this kid probably feels like a douche right about now..........its not a big deal.....i'm sure the PD guys have endured much worse..

Matthew328
01-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Its not a surprise to me..I've seen it happen at schools here in DFW when I played...some people are just ignorant

STANG RED
01-31-2007, 07:22 PM
It's a shame that this sort of thing happened. Alot of great basketball is played in that area, and I'm sure they have as heated of rivalries as some of us do in football, but no matter how heated the rivalry, this sort of behavior has no place in it.:(

charlesrixey
01-31-2007, 07:51 PM
i don't get the whole banana thing

mistanice
01-31-2007, 08:04 PM
I Heard someone threw a saltine afterwards

luvhoops34
01-31-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by mistanice

LOL, that's funny!

charlesrixey
01-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by mistanice

:rolleyes:

Matthew328
01-31-2007, 08:21 PM
LOL

pirate4state
01-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

Are you kidding?

charlesrixey
01-31-2007, 09:11 PM
sort of

i couldn't believe someone actually did that, in this day and age

maybe i'm lucky the military doesn't differentiate as much as in the civilian world.

sectionCwannabe
01-31-2007, 09:12 PM

:clap:

sectionCwannabe
02-01-2007, 04:14 PM
here is an article on this..........a must read lol

Mother: Slur not intended
Student who threw banana was not trying to be racist

By Brenda Bernet
brenda.bernet@amarillo.com

The Randall High School student who threw a banana at the end of a Friday night basketball game against Palo Duro High School had no intention of making a racial slur, his mother said.
"My son was the one who threw it," she said. "All of a sudden it became a racial slur. He had no idea. Now, he’s being labeled as a racist." The boy’s mother has learned that the game between Palo Duro and Randall was intense, with lots of yelling and screaming at referees, she said.

"They were furious at the referees," the mother said. Cheerleaders reportedly brought bananas as snacks. Somebody took a banana out of a cheerleader’s bag, and Randall students began passing it to one another, the mother said. Peer pressure mounted for someone to throw the banana at the referee, the mother said. Her son threw it.

"My son was singled out for an entire student body that got out of hand," the mother said. "After the fact is when everything happened." The family has friends of all races and colors, she said. The discipline her son is receiving for throwing the banana is no comparison for how he feels, she said.

"Take this as a lesson," she said. "How do you behave at a game? When’s the last time you yelled at an official?" On Tuesday, Randall High School Principal Steve Williams and Randall student leaders apologized to the Palo Duro student body.

"I just think it’s wrong they’re going to peg the whole school as racist," said Randall junior Shatell Dyer, who did not attend the Friday game. "We’re not." Palo Duro won the game, 73-59.

"We lost the game," senior Cat Simmons said. "We were mad." She didn’t agree with the banana being thrown.

"We’re just hoping they don’t think we’re all racist," she said. Palo Duro parent Stephanie Goins said she heard Randall students making monkey noises at the game, but students and administrators at Randall say they did not hear any such noises.

"The administrative leadership at Randall High School was standing all around our student section," said Laurie Cizon, spokeswoman for the school district. "They didn’t hear noises such as that." Randall junior Cail Lexton, whose cousin attends Palo Duro, said he saw the banana, but did not hear any students making noises. "I’m tired of hearing about it," Lexton said.

The majority of Randall High School students strive to show sportsmanlike conduct, Cizon said. The student who threw the banana violated the Canyon ISD harassment policy and the student code of conduct. School district policies state that the school district will take appropriate disciplinary or corrective action following an incident of harassment, but the handbook and district policies are not specific. Policies apply to school-sponsored activities on and off campus. Canyon school district officials have not provided any more details about the discipline.

"The school does work with students on respecting others and behavior at games," Cizon said.

Gobbla2001
02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
haha, I couldn't read the rest of this thread, EV brought up porch monkeys on the first page and I can't stop laughin'... that was halarious

pirate4state
02-01-2007, 04:18 PM
sort of

i couldn't believe someone actually did that, in this day and age

maybe i'm lucky the military doesn't differentiate as much as in the civilian world.

people are ignorant, especially in "this day and age"

pirate4state
02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
haha, I couldn't read the rest of this thread, EV brought up porch monkeys on the first page and I can't stop laughin'... that was halarious you need to watch Clerks II to get the full effect of that :eek: :evillol: :o

Gobbla2001
02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
So when is Rev. JJ gunna be arriving at the scene...

and p4s... I have watched clerks II, that's why it was funny...

pirate4state
02-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
and p4s... I have watched clerks II, that's why it was funny...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: just making sure .... :D :D

SpreadtheRed
02-01-2007, 06:58 PM
how is throwing a banana racist? Are blacks saying they look like monkeys? Its amazing how blacks get so bent out of shape over stupid things like this

Matthew328
02-01-2007, 08:15 PM
If I was black I'd be bent out of shape....its not cool....considering many racists have called black folks the term "monkey" makes throwing a banana inherently racist...I guess some people will never understand

pirate4state
02-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
If I was black I'd be bent out of shape....its not cool....considering many racists have called black folks the term "monkey" makes throwing a banana inherently racist...I guess some people will never understand some people refuse to see

SpreadtheRed
02-02-2007, 02:34 AM
***edited......lhpm*** :rolleyes: