PDA

View Full Version : A good luck to Dominic Rhodes from me!

sectionCwannabe
01-30-2007, 04:52 PM
The first time I met Dominic Rhodes was in the eight grade at 2 a days. He was the starting Tailback and I was transferring into the school, I was a fullback/ middle line backer. I remember thinking to myself, “man that boy is fast” He was still the starting tailback and I was the new fullback. I remember in practice I lined up at middle line backer and Dominic was in the backfield lined up as the single back. The ball was handed off to him and he came right up the middle, and there we met I hit him as hard as I could as he lowered his shoulder and hit me just as hard, we both went down to the ground, and in that moment respect was earned and a friendship began.

Dominic by know means had it easy. He was sort of an outcast, and never really wanted to go home. To this day I never have found out why exactly.

We used to go out with a bunch of friends from school, to play football in the street. At times there were around 20 of us playing. We would stay out past dark and finally give it up and go home. He always talked about playing pro ball and winning the Super Bowl! Of course being kids we laughed and said yeah right.

We went on to play High school ball for the Abilene Cooper Cougars under Head Coach Randy Allen!
And there Dominic excelled, and became a very good football player!

Now he will be playing in the Super Bowl this weekend. Personally I feel very proud to have been able to play with him and also be his friend.

I just want to say a few things to “Neek” as we used to call him.
Remember what Coach Allen use to say Dominic………..”hold on to that damn ball boy!”
Good Luck this weekend Neek, your dreams have almost come true, 1 more game, 4 more quarters and its yours! GO GET EM NEEK!!!
sectionCwannabe

Gp83
01-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Vey nice:clap:

Adidas410s
01-30-2007, 04:58 PM
There was a story in the Abilene paper about Rhodes and his home situation a few years ago. I remember that it wasn't the greatest and because of it...he spent a lot more time at school and in the gym than other kids did. Having grown up watching him play and attending many of his games as a young kid...it's great to see him and Snow having the chance to win a Super Bowl ring. Justin was a friend of my brother from elementary through HS so he was around plenty through my early years. It's kinda cool seeing him on TV these days...

Snyder_TigerFan
01-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Great story C!

I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

luvhoops34
01-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by sectionCwannabe
The first time I met Dominic Rhodes was in the eight grade at 2 a days. He was the starting Tailback and I was transferring into the school, I was a fullback/ middle line backer. I remember thinking to myself, “man that boy is fast” He was still the starting tailback and I was the new fullback. I remember in practice I lined up at middle line backer and Dominic was in the backfield lined up as the single back. The ball was handed off to him and he came right up the middle, and there we met I hit him as hard as I could as he lowered his shoulder and hit me just as hard, we both went down to the ground, and in that moment respect was earned and a friendship began.

Dominic by know means had it easy. He was sort of an outcast, and never really wanted to go home. To this day I never have found out why exactly.

We used to go out with a bunch of friends from school, to play football in the street. At times there were around 20 of us playing. We would stay out past dark and finally give it up and go home. He always talked about playing pro ball and winning the Super Bowl! Of course being kids we laughed and said yeah right.

We went on to play High school ball for the Abilene Cooper Cougars under Head Coach Randy Allen!

Now he will be playing in the Super Bowl this weekend. Personally I feel very proud to have been able to play with him and also be his friend.

Remember what Coach Allen use to say Dominic………..”hold on to that damn ball boy!”
Good Luck this weekend Neek, your dreams have almost come true, 1 more game, 4 more quarters and its yours! GO GET EM NEEK!!!
sectionCwannabe

That gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling all over. Thanks for taking us down memory lane!

I wonder how many players in this years Super Bowl played high school ball in Texas?

sectionCwannabe
01-30-2007, 05:05 PM
I remember that article, i will ahve to see if i can find it.

I remember he use to say a few things about his mom, but sorry, i cannot post that....:p

He struggled to get into college, some things he couldnt really get in school and didnt do well enough to make into a D1 school but that didnt stop him he went to Midwestern State, he has determination, drive and heart.

This is always what he wanted with the way he grew up really not having a chance, he has made it, i hope one day he writes a book about his struggles and triumphs, i would by a copy for my kids, its really a touching story,

now if he can just hang on to that ball!!!!!

sectionCwannabe
01-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Wikipeda for Dominic
"Dominic Dondrell Rhodes (born January 17, 1979 in Waco, Texas) is an American football running back who currently plays for the Indianapolis Colts. He went to Midwestern State University.

While attending Abilene Cooper High School in Abilene, Texas, Rhodes starred in both football and track. In football, he totaled 2,193 yards and 35 touchdowns as a senior. Dominic led Cooper to the 5A State Championship that year where his team lost to Austin Westlake, which was quarterbacked by All-Pro Drew Brees. He was voted 5A offensive player of the year in 1996.

After two years at Midwestern State University, Rhodes decided to go the NFL. Despite his college career, he was not chosen in the 2001 NFL Draft. He was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Indianapolis Colts.

In a 2001 game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Rhodes returned a punt for a touchdown. In that game, the Indianapolis Colts' starting running back, Edgerrin James, injured his knee and ended his season. As a result, Rhodes was the starting running back for the rest of the Colts' 2001 season. That year, Rhodes ran for the third most rushing yards by a rookie in a single season, and the most rushing yards by an undrafted rookie in NFL history. Rhodes accomplished these marks while only starting in the final 9 games of the season following the injury to Edgerrin James.

Rhodes is currently the starting running back for the Colts, as James left to play for the Arizona Cardinals. During the 2006 NFL season (through Week 11), Rhodes has 414 yards on 122 attempts and 3 touchdowns. After the whole season Rhodes had rushed for 641 yards and 5 touchdowns."

I stood on the sidelines During that game For the 5A title, the season before, i blew out my knee and could no longer play. I know it was a hard game for the guys to play, but for me, it was so much harder not being able to get in there and help....

vet93
01-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Did Randy really say "Hold on to the damn ball"? I have known him since the early eighties and I don't remember him ever cussing...maybe I was just sheltered :)

sectionCwannabe

sectionCwannabe
01-30-2007, 05:16 PM
I know of 3 that will play this weekend

Justin Snow Abilene Cooper
Dominic Rhodes Abilene Cooper
Cedric Benson Midland Lee

sectionCwannabe
01-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Wikipeda for Dominic
"Dominic Dondrell Rhodes (born January 17, 1979 in Waco, Texas) is an American football running back who currently plays for the Indianapolis Colts. He went to Midwestern State University.

While attending Abilene Cooper High School in Abilene, Texas, Rhodes starred in both football and track. In football, he totaled 2,193 yards and 35 touchdowns as a senior. Dominic led Cooper to the 5A State Championship that year where his team lost to Austin Westlake, which was quarterbacked by All-Pro Drew Brees. He was voted 5A offensive player of the year in 1996.

After two years at Midwestern State University, Rhodes decided to go the NFL. Despite his college career, he was not chosen in the 2001 NFL Draft. He was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Indianapolis Colts.

In a 2001 game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Rhodes returned a punt for a touchdown. In that game, the Indianapolis Colts' starting running back, Edgerrin James, injured his knee and ended his season. As a result, Rhodes was the starting running back for the rest of the Colts' 2001 season. That year, Rhodes ran for the third most rushing yards by a rookie in a single season, and the most rushing yards by an undrafted rookie in NFL history. Rhodes accomplished these marks while only starting in the final 9 games of the season following the injury to Edgerrin James.

Rhodes is currently the starting running back for the Colts, as James left to play for the Arizona Cardinals. During the 2006 NFL season (through Week 11), Rhodes has 414 yards on 122 attempts and 3 touchdowns. After the whole season Rhodes had rushed for 641 yards and 5 touchdowns."

I stood on the sidelines During that game For the 5A title, the season before, i blew out my knee and could no longer play. I know it was a hard game for the guys to play, but for me, it was so much harder not being able to get in there and help....

lets just say it was in a game and he wasnt too happy, other than that moment he was a really calm coach a great coach to me.

sectionCwannabe
01-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Cooper loses to Austin Westlake, 55-15

By LANCE FLEMING / Staff Writer ...(Related Photo)

IRVING - The Cooper Cougars were playing for one more inch; they ending up needing a country mile.

Cooper turned the ball over eight times, gave up 48 second-half points and lost to Austin Westlake, 55-15, Saturday in the Class 5A Division II state championship game at Texas Stadium.

The Chaparrals finish their season at 16-0 as they won their first-ever state football championship.

The Cougars (12-4) entered the game hoping to avenge the school's state-title game loss to Austin Reagan in 1967, but those hopes disappeared in a second-half flurry of turnovers, penalties and mistakes.

Cooper, which turned the ball over just six times in its five playoff games leading up to Saturday's title game, had that many turnovers in the second half, including three game-turning turnovers to start the second half.

Actually, the Cougars squandered a chance to take a halftime lead when quarterback Michael Anderson was picked off in the end zone with four seconds left in the first half, leaving the score knotted at 7-7.

"It was like a nightmare out there," said Anderson, who was picked off four times and threw for just 44 yards. "We did some good things offensively in the first half, but we should have scored more than seven points. But nothing went right in the second half."

And the bad things started from almost the beginning of the second half.

On the second play of the third quarter, Anderson was picked off by Aaron Santiso on a pass intended for Jesse Sharp.

Westlake, known for its passing attack, instead came out running the ball and pounded it straight ahead on the Cougars. Jamie Tyler carried the ball five straight times to move the ball down to the Cooper 1-yard line where quarterback Drew Brees took over and scored to make it 14-7 in favor of Westlake.

The Cougars were then forced to go three-and-out, and Jeremy Amos returned a 35-yard punt 19 yards to give the Chaparrals the ball at the Cooper 28 yard line. After a Cooper offsides penalty moved the ball to the 23, Tyler ran right up the middle of the Cooper defense, broke four arm tackles and scored from 23 yards.

Robbie Johnson then muffed the kickoff and lost it altogether when he was hit by Amos. Westlake cornerback Tomi Keah, who had a great game with three interceptions, picked up the ball at the 3 yard line.

It took three plays, but Brees scored on another 1-yard run to make it 28-7 with 4:56 left in the third quarter.

In a matter of three minutes, 35 seconds, Cooper turnovers turned a close game into a rout.

"You can't beat a good team when you're making turnovers," Cooper head coach Randy Allen said. "They gave us three punches in the third quarter before we could recover."

The Chaps, who finished with 230 yards on the ground and were led by Tyler's 24 carries for 127 yards and and two touchdowns, found a weakness in the middle of the Cooper defense and exploited it in the second half.

"We saw that they were really charging up the field, so we decided to go with some trap plays," Westlake quarterback Drew Brees said. "The ends were pinching in and we hooked them, so when we got the trap, it was wide open."

Westlake, however, didn't quit scoring at that point.

The Chaps would score on three of their next four possessions to take a 48-9 lead with 6:39 left in the ballgame. Brees would throw touchdown passes of 47 and 20 yards to Amos and Matt Murphy, respectively, and Brees scored on a 2-yard keeper.

Cooper's only highights in the second half were a safety by Peter Abrigg when he returned a blocked extra point for two points, and an 82-yard touchdown run by Dominic Rhodes to make the score 48-15. Rhodes finished with 230 yards and two TD's on 24 carries, but the turnovers were too much for Cooper to overcome.

"You coach against that, and you'd like to play error-free football," Allen said. "We made too many mistakes in the second half, and they took advantage of their opportunities."

The first half was an unexpected defensive struggle highlighted by the return of Cooper wide receiver Miles Durham. The 6-3 senior underwent surgery on his left shoulder just five weeks after separating it in the Cougars' bi-district win over Amarillo High.

But it was a big defensive play and Rhodes that helped Cooper take a 7-0 lead in the second quarter.

With just 2:08 left in the first quarter, Cooper's Kevin Stevenson blocked Dylan Becker's 50-yard field goal attempt and Eric Gobert recovered the loose ball at the Westlake 43-yard line.

Eight plays later, Rhodes bulled in from 3 yards to give Cooper a 7-0 lead.

Four plays into Westlake's next possession, Brees was picked off by Josh Button, who returned the ball 27 yards to the Westlake 44 yard line. The Cougars, however, were unable to convert that turnover into points, and the Chaps would make them pay.

Westlake scored on its next possession, driving the ball 83 yards on 13 plays to a Tyler 8-yard run that tied the score at 7-7. The key play in the drive came when Button was called for pass interference on a play that ended up with Cooper safety Melvin Barnes picking the ball off. But the interception was waved off, and Westlake retained possession.

Twelve plays later, Tyler scored to tie the game with 45 seconds left in the first half.

But on the second play of Cooper's next possession, Rhodes took a draw play 48 yards down to the Westlake 23 yard line. With time running out, Anderson tried to hit Durham on a fade pattern in the back of the end zone, but Keah picked off his second pass of the game to keep the game knotted at 7-7 at the half.

Things then quickly went downhill for Cooper, which saw its winning streak stopped at nine with the loss. But the end didn't dampen what Allen saw as a brilliant season.

"Our guys have had such a tremendous championship run to get to this point," he said. "It's such a tremendous accomplishment to even get this far."

Snyder_TigerFan
01-31-2007, 09:25 AM
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4056/drnd6.jpg

Unfinished Business
Former Cooper star unbothered by role change, eager for Sunday's big game

By Troy Shockley / shockleyt@reporternews.com
January 31, 2007

He's finally made it.

But he's still not done.

That was the attitude of Indianapolis Colts running back Dominic Rhodes just days before Super Bowl XLI, where, on Sunday, the Colts will battle the Chicago Bears for the right to be called the NFL's best.

''We're still not done yet,'' Rhodes said. ''We're in the Super Bowl - finally - but it's still unfinished business. Something I learned in high school was 'unfinished business.' It's never done until that last game is over with and you're holding that championship trophy.''

Rhodes learned that lesson in the red, white and blue of Cooper High School, where he completed his three-year career (1994-1996) with 3,498 total yards from scrimmage and 49 touchdowns.

He went on to play at Division II Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls and signed with the Colts as a rookie free agent in 2001. That season he put his name in the NFL record books when, after injury ended Edgerrin James' season, Rhodes took over and became the first undrafted player in league history to rush for 1,000 yards as a rookie. In the final 10 games that season, Rhodes rushed for 1,104 yards and nine touchdowns.

He missed the following season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament and played as a reserve through the following three seasons until getting the starting role again this year when James was lost to free agency.

But, rather than having Rhodes as their feature back, the Colts elected to draft LSU's Joseph Addai. And, while Rhodes was the starter throughout the regular season, Indianapolis has employed a dual-running back system, alternating Rhodes and Addai.

Once the Colts got into the postseason, Rhodes' role changed again with Addai becoming the starter and Rhodes coming in off the bench. The veteran, though, isn't too concerned with the switch. A self-described ''true competitor,'' he's happy just to have the opportunity to play.

''I'm doing what the coaches ask me to do,'' he said. ''I knew from the jump what the deal was gonna be. When they drafted a guy in the first round I knew that was what it was gonna be like.''

Rhodes has, in fact, embraced his role, and has worked to teach Addai what he's learned in his six NFL seasons. Through that effort, the two have realized how similar they are and have become close friends, hanging out often away from the field.

''He's really like a guy that's always joking around and playing around, and that's me. And he takes football seriously, and that's another trait we share,'' Rhodes said. ''He's very humble. He came here willing to learn.

''Granted, first-round picks are given a lot of things in this league, but he's a unique individual. It's about the team with him. If you hear him say it, he means it.''

Rhodes' experience in the league will undoubtedly help him maintain an even keel in the whirlwind that is the Super Bowl, but he knows it will still be unlike anything he's ever experienced.

''When you get to the Super Bowl, it's a little bit more. It's just a different type of situation,'' he said. ''Everything is heightened. Not just the game but the media attention, everything. Everybody knows what the Super Bowl is about ... it's the most watched event in the world.

''But we've got a few players that have been there before, and one thing that that I've learned is that the Super Bowl is for everyone that's around you. It's for your family, friends and the fans. The game is for us. And we've gotta be ready to go out there and win a football game.''

In order to do that, Rhodes and Addai and will have to best another dual-back tandem with ties to Abilene. Chicago's Cedric Benson, who splits time with Thomas Jones, also played high school football in Texas - for Cooper district rival Midland Lee, between 1998 and 2000.

''The guy that everybody says either he's the better one or I was the better one, right?

''I take great pride in guys being from Texas in the league, and (District) 4-5A football back when we were playing was probably one of the best there was,'' Rhodes said. ''I have a lot of respect for Cedric Benson and what he did in high school. It'll be nice to finally meet up with the guy. I've never met him before. It'll be good to finally meet the guy behind all the hype.''

Rhodes, who celebrated his 28th birthday Jan. 17, certainly doesn't plan on getting caught up in any sort of hype, Cedric Benson related or otherwise.

He's ready to play, and he's ready to play big.

''Please believe I'm ready for it,'' he said. ''I've got my arms wide open and I'm ready to bring a ring home to Abilene. And, hopefully, an MVP.''

Adidas410s
01-31-2007, 09:29 AM
whoa...look at the letters on his beanie!!!

:(

Snyder_TigerFan
01-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

I wouldn't either if I made that kind of money.;)

Fixed it ;) .

Adidas410s
01-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I wouldn't either if I made that kind of money.;)

haha...just thought that was a great statement to be making at media day! :(

pirate4state
01-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

:doh:

Snyder_TigerFan
01-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:doh:

I didn't catch it, and apparently the Abilene Reporter News didn't either, since the picture was in the paper.