PDA

View Full Version : What defensive back ended the regular season......

QB85
11-12-2003, 02:36 PM
...with the most interceptions?

sahen
11-12-2003, 02:38 PM
didnt that guy for yall (barber's hill) have 11 picks...that is the most i have heard of but im sure someone from a district that doesnt run it every play prolly has more

QB85
11-12-2003, 02:41 PM
That's correct...Bryan Penn has 11

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-12-2003, 02:41 PM
I don't know about interceptions, but my son Matthew Gonzales of Vernon (Strong Safety) had 125 regular season tackles through 9 games. 1 game was cancelled. So that is an average of 13.8 tackles per game by a defense back. Vernon went 8-1 so it wasn't like they were terrible and the DL and LB's didn't make plays.

Hey College Recruiters look at Gonzales in Vernon!

sahen
11-12-2003, 02:44 PM
QB85:
That's correct...Bryan Penn has 11i just checked at the chronicle that is the most in the houston area too...out of all levels (if the chronicle reported it right)...so he will have something to brag about to friends there

CatsDen
11-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
I don't know about interceptions, but my son Matthew Gonzales of Vernon (Strong Safety) had 125 regular season tackles through 9 games. 1 game was cancelled. So that is an average of 13.8 tackles per game by a defense back. Vernon went 8-1 so it wasn't like they were terrible and the DL and LB's didn't make plays.

Hey College Recruiters look at Gonzales in Vernon!That's outstanding, especially for a player in the secondary! Good luck with the recruiting. Is your son a junior or senior?

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Thanks, it has been a blast as a parent watching him. He is a senior and has been looking at ACU and Southwestern Oklahaoma State both Lone Star Conference DII schools. So hopefully after they colleges finish up their season this week they can scout him in person. That is if the Vernon Lions keep on winning!

It is a tough road for a parent to try and get some looks for their son especially if they come out of a school that is not in the top 10. I have seen enough DII games to know that my son can contribute so I hope he gets a look.

Matthew Gonzales #35 Vernon High School!

http://www.cameron.edu/~harrison/1matthirschi.jpg

QB85
11-12-2003, 03:17 PM
How many did Shipley have?

CatsDen
11-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Has he sent out letters of interest? If you wait for the colleges to come to you, it may be too late. You can send out letters of interest along with newspaper clippings, stats, awards/achievements, highlight video and full game video. The HS coach is usually the biggest help in getting his name out, but you can do a lot for him as well. There are recruiting services all over the internet, but I don't know how succesful they are. Try visiting nationalrecruiting.org for an example. I hope he gets the offer he's looking for!

sahen
11-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2
[QB]Thanks, it has been a blast as a parent watching him. He is a senior and has been looking at ACU and Southwestern Oklahaoma State both Lone Star Conference DII schools. So hopefully after they colleges finish up their season this week they can scout him in person. That is if the Vernon Lions keep on winning!

It is a tough road for a parent to try and get some looks for their son especially if they come out of a school that is not in the top 10. I have seen enough DII games to know that my son can contribute so I hope he gets a look.

Matthew Gonzales #35 Vernon High School!
Send him to baylor! We need all the help we can get...

DOGS1
11-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Shipley ended with 5.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Catsden, thanks for the info. As a parent it sometimes is hard to judge your own child as we think they may be better than they actually are. But nevertheless, I saw something in my son last year he had I think 67 tackles, 4 picks and returned 1 for a TD. He is a two way player at split end and safety, so I started sending out letters last year. I have probably sent out at least 65 letters to about 30 colleges. We made two recruiting trips one over the summer to ACU and then during the year this year to SWOSU. We have sent out game tapes and a highlight film like you mentioned. The tape was from last year though, so after we finish this year I will compile the highlight again and send out round two. I'll check out that webiste you mentioned. If you can think of anything else I should do let me know. Thanks~

<small>[ November 12, 2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

sahen
11-12-2003, 03:41 PM
call baylor! im serious we need tons of help and he could play at a D1 school in the big XII....yah never know what could happen...

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Sahen:

We sent Chedrick Ricks to Baylor. He came out of Vernon about 5 years ago. He was a great back, but he never played more than as a 3rd down type of back at Baylor. He gradualted last year, I think he was #19.

I haven't sent them anything, but now that you mention it I think I will. I actually saw them win one on TV this year! I remember when they went to the Cotton Bowl back about 10-15 years ago.

<small>[ November 12, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

sahen
11-12-2003, 03:49 PM
YUP YUP (unfortunately that was our last win this year but hey...we won!).......and we have a new coach this year so that thing that happened w/ ur guy not playing was a different coach...its worth a shot! good luck hopefully i'll see ur son playing ball here and winning some games!

CatsDen
11-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Has he already registered with the NCAA Clearinghouse? If not, go to www.ncaaclearinghouse.net (http://www.ncaaclearinghouse.net) and check it out.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-12-2003, 04:30 PM
He did when school started this year. He hasn't taken the ACT yet but he will in December. That may be a hold up for him.

MASH4077
11-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Brian Christian of Decatur had 6 ints. in 6 games.
He didnt play defense the first four games. He was busy catching 72 passes for 1,217 yds!

nasa1
11-12-2003, 11:39 PM
a kid in madisonville, had 8 interceptions at the free safety position.