PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M 1939 National Champions in football

Phil C
01-30-2007, 03:08 PM
A little history on teams in Texas that won National Championships in football. For right now I will post on official ones that won the main polls in the past. Bear in mind there were some polls before 1936 and they had disagreements but beginning that year the main recognized one was the Associated Press (rightly or wrongly) and then the United Press International later on. Also until the 1960s the bowls didn't even get considered because it was felt due to the time lag between the end of the season and the bowl games was too long and the teams would not really be at their best and the games were really just exibition games so to speak. Right now I will go with what were considered the most important poll's National Champions. Others may know about this team than me and please feel free to contribute your knowledge of this great team.
Also corrections to my mistakes if any will be appreciated.

I will start with the 1939 Aggies. I had a good friend that played on the team even though he wasn't a starter.

The Aggies started out with a 32 to 0 win over Oklahoma State. This was the start of an 11 - 0 - 0 season including a Sugar Bowl game. They didn't have overtime to settle ties then.

The Aggies beat Centenary 14 to 0 next.

Then Santa Clara was the next victim 7 to 3. This was one of the Aggies two closest games during the regular season and the game was a tough road game for the Aggies but they prevailed.

The next game was against Villanova at Tyler, TX and the Aggies won 33 to 7. These 7 points were the most points anyone was to score on that Aggie defense the rest of the season except for the Sugar Bowl.

Then the Aggies beat the prior year National Champions TCU (and yes I will tell about that team later) who did not do too good in 1939 by the score of 20 to 6.

Then the Aggies beat a good Baylor team 20 to 0.

Then Texas A&M went to Arkansas and won 27 to 0.

SMU who had had good teams in the 30s played A&M at College Station and the Aggies had their second tough game of the regular season but held on for a 6 to 2 win.

Rice had a bad year in 1939 and the Aggies won that game 19 to 0.

Then the Aggies beat UT 20 to 0.

The Aggies played a good 8-1-1 Tulane team in New Orleans in the Sugar Bowl game for their closest game of the year and Tulane had the home field advantage too. The Aggies won 14 to 13 thanks to a Tulane missed extra point and kept their record perfect at 11 - 0 - 0 and a well deserved National Championship indeed.

The Aggies had an outstanding defense that year. They outscored the opponents 212 to 31 during the year and had 6 shutouts. As mentioned the most points allowed was at the Sugar Bowl at 13 and during the regular season the most points allowed during a game was 7 points against Villanova which they won 33 to 7.

USC has claimed the NC for that year also but most football historians shrug that off as we should too. The Aggies won the main poll at that time plus USC had two ties that year so the Aggies had the best record. This year (1939) is recognized at Kyle Field and though I am a Longhorn fan I hope they never remove that tribute.