PDA

View Full Version : what is your football philosophy?

keep_it_real
09-18-2003, 12:24 AM
What is your football philosophy? Defense and Offense.

xlr8tor
09-18-2003, 12:26 AM
keep_it_real:
What is your football philosophy? Defense and Offense.To sum up in one word for each; Defense - speed, Offense - balance. Don't know if that is what you meant or not. Just my take.

Jacket2000
09-18-2003, 01:01 AM
Defense-stop whatever it is that you do best and beat your QB to death
Offense-Line up in the stacked I or the mudbone(my own lil' creation) and run it down yer throat untill you stack the box....then throw a flood or screen.
J2K

Bellville22
09-18-2003, 01:28 AM
Defense is key! Offense decides the pace of the game, defense decides the outcome (hey, I like that, I might write that down).

Defensively bend but don't break. I can live with giving up 300 yards a game as long as the points stay under 14. Would like to have big D-line and fast LBs, I'm a 3-4 guy. Whatever the case, swarming to the ball will be a must, and as someone stated, knock the crud out of the QB at every opportunity(within the rules of course). Make him not want to leave the huddle, if he's scared, they don't have a chance.

Offensively, balance and execution. Make the defense prepare for all aspects of the offense, and never allow them to relax. I like the balanced run, inside, outside, and I'm a huge trap fan. Controlled passing game, with a pretty good dose of play-action, especially to the TE. Not many defensive schemes in high school gaurd the TE effectively (props to Brahma73 on this one). Not gonna be scared to take an occasional shot or chance, because A)you have to sometimes and B) I know my D is gonna bail me out should the offense make a mistake.

And don't forget about Special Teams. Much of it is about effort, although a little scheming can go a long way, and it's the difference between a good football team and a great football team.

AND REGARDLESS OF WHAT ELSE HAPPENS... DON'T FUMBLE THE FOOTBALL!!!

BrahmaMom
09-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Excellent, Bellville22. I would add only that I like to see the defense go on the offense and score. Makes the game more exciting. I won't be at this week's game, hold down the fort for me. Go Brahmas!!!

KTownBalla
09-18-2003, 09:03 AM
I believe in a balanced attack as well, but you must establish the run first. W/o a running game u become 1 dimensional, and then ur offense is too easy to predict.

On defense, im with the whole "bend not break policy." But i also believe that the defense should come up wit big plays, not just a sack, but turnovers. Also, they must stop 3rd down conversions, and not give up the big plays.

This is Texas High School Football, and there will always be big plays, and 60-yd run, and great screen, or a 80 yard bomb, but the key is to limit those, and control the pace of da game.

barney rubble
09-18-2003, 10:20 AM
Hey Jacket2000, tell us about the "mudbone".

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-18-2003, 10:34 AM
Jacket2000:
Defense-stop whatever it is that you do best and beat your QB to death
Offense-Line up in the stacked I or the mudbone(my own lil' creation) and run it down yer throat untill you stack the box....then throw a flood or screen.
J2KMy philosophy is the same as J2K's, except maybe the offense that's run. But yes, would love to have a big, bruising, hard nosed fullback to slam it down the defense's throat until they fill the box with 8 or 9 players, then run a play action pass.

Gobbla2001
09-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Defense - A hard hitting DL that knows how to keep a parallel (to the line of scrimmage) pursuit of the runner while he's still in the backfield... Fast hard hittin' LB's and a hard hittin' secondary that's smart and knows how to keep good coverage... They don't have to be the 'sack-kings', I just wanna see 11 of my jerseys at the scene of the tackle, every time...

Offense... Fast guards and center, pancaking tackles... Very athletic HB's and hard-hitting straight-runnin' FB's...

Tight-ends that can run, catch, and most-importantly, block... Recievers that can catch and block... And QB who can run options and bootlegs etc... Doesn't have the pass the long-ball perfectly, but needs to be aware as the game goes along of the tactics of the opposing secondary, basically a smart QB...

I want a soccer-style FG-kicker... (If I can't get one, oh well, we'll get out the kickin' shoe)... Kick-off kicker? HE doesn't have to boot it through the uprights on kick-off, I just want him to have a good sense of direction and length of the balls he's 'going' to kick, aka: smart, dangerous...

Kick-off coverage team - if they know how to get to the ball and field like busting up wedgest etc... (aka, crazy mofo's) then they're on...

Kick-off return... I hope they can block, but I want kick-off returners that have a phobia of blocking people in the back...

Punt team? Agressive and a tad of speed is all you need...

Punt-return? Same as kick-off return...

Basically, my defense doesn't have to knock your head off (though I would like to see that), they just need to be accurate and precise... I want everyone flying to the ball (of course) but they need to keep 'some' screws in their head...

Offense? Get the game started off on a good note... I'd prolly call my best plays on that first drive to set the pace... (aka: I'm either come out slingin' passes or you're gunna see a nice magic show with some good tricks)...

crzyjournalist03
09-18-2003, 11:38 AM
Offense: Balanced attack, but not afraid to throw on any down. Make the little plays to set up the big ones. If a play keeps working, keep calling it until it doesn't. Find the playmaker on the team, and find a way to get the ball into his hands.

Defense: 3-4, with LBs coming on the blitz every down. Outside blitzes and inside blitzes; keep the offense guessing. Good blitzes can stop both the run and the pass. Hit 'em hard every down and hope they don't get back up.

cubs
09-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Defense, definitely!!!

FBmania
09-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Defense : Fast, hardhitting and with lots of intensity. Intimidators with discipline.

Offense : Fast big bruising power back and a change of pace quick/slashing back, balanced with good possesion recievers but attack at any stage of the game with the occasional deep threat.

CatsDen
09-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Defense: Attack at all times. Force QB's to throw quick and reckless passes. Crush any attempt to run off-tackle (force the run into the middle where the rest of the team can pile on). DT: penetrate and disrupt the backfield. DE: can contain the play and destroy lead blockers, dsciplined enough to destroy any attempt at a reverse or bootleg. OLB: aggressive, fast and hard hitting. They have to be able to cover half the field and make the play at the LOS. I don't want LB's that try to catch a runner-I want LB's that try to cursh the runner. MLB: disciplined, hard hitting, no fear (my key to the defense). Corners: speed and size with solid tackling. SS: Quick, but not blazing fast. I want this player to be a killer! Make any short dump route suffer, run support more important than pass coverage. FS: smart and disciplined. Doesn't have to be a monster hitter, but able to make an open-field tackle.

Offense: Quick and Efficient. I don't believe in pounding the ball up the middle to set up the pass and outside running. Every defensive coach is focused on stuffing the middle early, because most offensive coaches are trying to establish an inside run early. I believe in shooting downfield quick and striking fast, THEN grind it out between the tackles. The first, quick strike is horrible for a defense's attitude. Mis-direction running and power lead plays to eat up the LB's.

CatsDen
09-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Defensive philosophy: Set the tone and make 'em pay on every play, all day long. Killer mentality! I don't want to stop your offense, I want to dominate your offense! Every play, all day.

Offensive philosophy: Strike first and fast. Expose your weakness and exploit the flaw until it hurts! First downs and Touchdowns. I don't want to grind it out...I want to take the air out of your lungs.

CatsDen
09-18-2003, 02:31 PM
KTownBalla
[qb]I believe in a balanced attack as well, but you must establish the run first. W/o a running game u become 1 dimensional, and then ur offense is too easy to predict. That is the most predictable start to every game. I'll bring the run blitz up the middle to start every game for just that reason. I don't know why so many coaches want to start the game with a dive or blast play...mind-boggling to imagine that the defensive coach on the other side of the field doesn't expect that.

<small>[ September 18, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: CatsDen ]</small>

Gobbla2001
09-18-2003, 02:38 PM
I'm opening the game with a pass over the top... The opposing team's secondary coach is gunna call into his secondary after that play (if it's not completed) saying 'Don't let your receiver get over the top of you...

Give 'em what they want, let 'em keep you under 'em, and pass under 'em...

Then you run on 'em...

District303aPastPlayer
09-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Start off the game with a quarterback sneak... then right after that... go with a Dive

MonkeyJoe
09-18-2003, 06:50 PM
defense- speed it the key, lots of blitz's..
offense-establish the run 1st thing...and in the 4th quarter when the opposing defense is run down and tired, go with the 2-minute offence...
shotgun, no huddle, call the plays at the line...defense will never know what hit'em.
and good coaching is important too.

bc 76
09-18-2003, 07:34 PM
I would run a split 6 with everybody on defense runs a 4.7 or faster.On offense run a spread offense,but also be able to run out of the i formation just run a multiple offense.

Jacket2000
09-18-2003, 11:23 PM
barney rubble:
Hey Jacket2000, tell us about the "mudbone".Well, I dont know how well I can explain it on here. It's a variation of the wishbone(obviously) that was invented to attack the 53 defense and proved to be very effective on a wet field(hence the name). Im currently running it at a TAPPS 3a school.
J2K

<small>[ September 18, 2003, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Jacket2000 ]</small>

therealbulldogs
09-18-2003, 11:31 PM
Defense: 4-4 with a big strong d-line, and fast line backers, and dirty DB's that like to hit hard.

Offense: I formation, 1st) run between tackles, 2nd) option, 3rd) pass. I like to run the ball a lot and punish the D with a big strong back that will run you over

hardinplaya
09-19-2003, 12:13 AM
The most important question of all !

What 3a school has the capability of doing the things you guys are talking about? Nobody!

You are talking about things that most collegiant schools cannot do accurately nor successfuly.

Gobbla2001
09-19-2003, 01:11 AM
Some of the philosophies posted are realistic, some aren't...

All of some of these take are the installation of belief into your athletes...

CatsDen
09-19-2003, 06:27 AM
hardinplaya:
The most important question of all !

What 3a school has the capability of doing the things you guys are talking about? Nobody!

You are talking about things that most collegiant schools cannot do accurately nor successfuly.I coach Pee Wee Football (5th and 6th grade players)and we attack from the start. The most important aspect that a coach is responsible for is attitude. My guess is that the same is true for High School or Collegiate football. You have to find the trigger in each player, then squeeze it until his mind flips into attack mode. The X's and O's is the easy part.

We normally start the game with a deep pass to a TE or RB swinging out of the backfield...why? 90% of coaches (Pee Wee football) run the 22 dive or something similar to start the game. On defense, we blitz the A gaps to start the game for just that reason.

KTownBalla
09-19-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by CatsDen:
That is the most predictable start to every game. I'll bring the run blitz up the middle to start every game for just that reason. I don't know why so many coaches want to start the game with a dive or blast play...mind-boggling to imagine that the defensive coach on the other side of the field doesn't expect that.
CatsDen...I didn't say start the game with a dive play, or a blast...i said establish the run, not start the game off wit a run. Although, i do believe in blitzing quiet a bit.

You can mix it up by runnin a sweep, a pass in the flats to the backs, or screen, it doesn't matter how u start it off, just vary it. Still an offense must pass as well to keep the defense in check or vice versa, depending on what your strength is, running or passing.

barney rubble
09-19-2003, 09:54 AM
[".[/qb][/QUOTE]Well, I dont know how well I can explain it on here. It's a variation of the wishbone(obviously) that was invented to attack the 53 defense and proved to be very effective on a wet field(hence the name). Im currently running it at a TAPPS 3a school.
J2K[/QB][/QUOTE]

Well, start with alignment. Then tell me what plays you run out of it. Basically tell me how it differs from traditional Bone. Anything will be appreciated. Could have used it last night in our freshman game. No mud (turf) but buckets of rain.