View Full Version : A&M's Bennett to play football only

Snydertigersrul
01-29-2007, 05:38 PM
A&M's Bennett to play football only

Basketball too much for Aggies tight end

04:29 PM CST on Monday, January 29, 2007
By RACHEL COHEN / The Dallas Morning News
rcohen@dallasnews.com

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Texas A&M two-sport athlete Martellus Bennett announced Monday that he is quitting the basketball team to focus on football.

"I'm just mentally and emotionally exhausted right now," Bennett said in a statement. "I've never been a quitter, but sometimes you just have to do what's best."

The 6-7 sophomore, a tight end in football and forward in basketball, played both sports last year. He initially did not plan to join the basketball team this season, but after a long talk with coach Billy Gillispie three weeks ago, he changed his mind.

Bennett, considered the top tight end recruit in the country two years ago, has said he believes his pro future is in football. He had 38 catches for 497 yards and three touchdowns in the fall.

Bennett averaged .5 points and .5 rebounds in 3.3 minutes in four games for the basketball team this season but was seeing some meaningful minutes.

"We all love him and will miss him, but we certainly respect his decision," Gillispie said in a statement. "He told me last week he was mentally and physically exhausted, but agreed to stay on through last Saturday."

Phil C
01-29-2007, 05:51 PM
:(

Adidas410s
01-29-2007, 06:02 PM
kinda ironic since coming out of HS he had declared for the NBA Draft before deciding to go to A&M.

un b weavable
01-29-2007, 06:16 PM
I think it's a good decision. He's a much better football player. Maybe next season they'll try to get him the ball more and quit running the freakin option so much. :mad:

Macarthur
01-29-2007, 07:37 PM
this is the right decision for him.

if he works hard, he could be a first day draft pick next year. If he keeps working hard and stays for his Sr. year, he could potentially be a 1st rounder.

mistanice
01-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
this is the right decision for him.

if he works hard, he could be a first day draft pick next year. If he keeps working hard and stays for his Sr. year, he could potentially be a 1st rounder.

Maybe, maybe not.. depends if Finley from UT will declare the same year he does.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Gig Em Aggies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Maybe, maybe not.. depends if Finley from UT will declare the same year he does.
Martellus is the superior TE, and yeah, I know that's coming from an Aggie, but I've seen them both play.

CHS_CG
01-29-2007, 10:58 PM
I hate to see him leave the BBall team bc I am all about aggie basketball but he gets more playing time and does better in Fball. I think this will be a good move for him.

TexanAlum_06
01-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Martellus is the superior TE, and yeah, I know that's coming from an Aggie, but I've seen them both play.

Both still have a lot to prove.... I think Finley is more athletic. BUT, Martellus has a better frame and is a far better blocker. therefore being a more complete TE. but hes not a Vernon Davis or nothin, Like I said, they both still have a lot to prove in their young careers....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Both still have a lot to prove.... I think Finley is more athletic. BUT, Martellus has a better frame and is a far better blocker. therefore being a more complete TE. but hes not a kellen winslow.

Kellen Winslow is not exactly a TE though. Jeremy Shockey is a better mold to follow, and I think Martellus can be the next Shockey. That's just my opinion.

TexanAlum_06
01-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Jeremy Shockey, forgot about that guy. I hate em. or hate his attitude, but he is a damm good TE. good point.

JR2004
01-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by mistanice

Between the two of them I'd take Finley. He's just flat out better.

JasperDog94
01-30-2007, 09:19 AM
It's just too difficult to play two sports in college. I think he made the right decision.

vet93
01-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Especially two consecutive team sports...I think that it is a little easier to try say football and then track or baseball in the spring. Football and Basketball are very difficult to maintain because one season follows the other.

Originally posted by JasperDog94
It's just too difficult to play two sports in college. I think he made the right decision.

whtfbplaya
01-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Both still have a lot to prove.... I think Finley is more athletic. BUT, Martellus has a better frame and is a far better blocker. therefore being a more complete TE. but hes not a Vernon Davis or nothin, Like I said, they both still have a lot to prove in their young careers....

Martellus has a long way to go to be a great blocker.

Macarthur
01-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
Martellus has a long way to go to be a great blocker.

Are you kidding?

do some research. he is one of the best blocking TE's in the nation right now! He is a phenominal blocker.

Seriously, dude, you need to think about that.

And I don't think Finley is better. I think he is a bit more athletic but not as good an all around TE.

BTW, Bennett had better stats. Better stats in an offense that did not throw the ball nearly as effectively as UT.

whtfbplaya
01-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Are you kidding?

do some research. he is one of the best blocking TE's in the nation right now! He is a phenominal blocker.

Seriously, dude, you need to watch some film. He holds and has thrown many chop blocks. He also frequently comes back from his motion position towards the ball and blocks below the waist.

Adidas410s
01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Are you kidding?

How are you going to research that?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-30-2007, 11:34 AM
All I know is that I would rather have Bennett instead of Finley, simply because Martellus is just as athletic, but has a bigger frame on him. Finley looks thin for his frame, despite how much he weighs.

Macarthur
01-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
Seriously, dude, you need to watch some film. He holds and has thrown many chop blocks. He also frequently comes back from his motion position towards the ball and blocks below the waist.

So you're an official? Do you have those numbers?

He's only a good blocker because he holds all the time and makes illegal chops....give me a break.

Phil C
01-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Did you all know that Jamal Charles the UT running back isn't running track this spring. :(

mistanice
01-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Bennett had 37 rec. for 491 yds. 3 td
Finley had 31 rec. for 372 yds. 3 td - from texas.rivals.com

mackbrown football site had 23 rec. for 326 yrds. 3 td... had statistically the best season by a freshman tight end in UT history

for 2006.