PDA

View Full Version : Awwww.....Poor Barbaro

Ranger Mom
01-29-2007, 12:45 PM
KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. - Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was euthanized Monday after complications from his breakdown at the Preakness last May.

"We just reached a point where it was going to be difficult for him to go on without pain," co-owner Roy Jackson said. "It was the right decision, it was the right thing to do. We said all along if there was a situation where it would become more difficult for him then it would be time."

Roy and Gretchen Jackson were with Barbaro on Monday morning, with the owners making the decision in consultation with chief surgeon Dean Richardson.

It was a series of complications, including laminitis in the left rear hoof and a recent abscess in the right rear hoof, that proved to be too much for the gallant colt, whose breakdown brought an outpouring of support across the country.

"I would say thank you for everything, and all your thoughts and prayers over the last eight months or so," Jackson said to Barbaro's fans.

On May 20, Barbaro was rushed to the New Bolton Center, about 30 miles southwest of Philadelphia in Kennett Square, hours after shattering his right hind leg just a few strides into the Preakness Stakes. The bay colt underwent a five-hour operation that fused two joints, recovering from an injury most horses never survive. Barbaro lived for eight more months, though he never again walked with a normal gait.

The Kentucky Derby winner suffered a significant setback over the weekend, and surgery was required to insert two steel pins in a bone — one of three shattered eight months ago in the Preakness but now healthy — to eliminate all weight bearing on the ailing right rear foot.

The procedure on Saturday was a risky one, because it transfered more weight to the leg while the foot rests on the ground bearing no weight.

The leg was on the mend until the abscess began causing discomfort last week. Until then, the major concern was Barbaro's left rear leg, which developed laminitis in July, and 80 percent of the hoof was removed.

Richardson said Monday morning that Barbaro did not have a good night.

AP Panther Fan
01-29-2007, 12:48 PM
rip Barbaro...I saw this on the Today show this morning and knew that a decision was probably about to be made.:(

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Well I hope they umm ya know did what they needed to do to get some genetica material out so he can go on studding some new race horses.

Gp83
01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Sad day:(

vet93
01-29-2007, 01:48 PM
While the fracture was bad...it was the laminitis that actually caused his demise...which is why horses are typically an orthopedic nightmare. I was sorry to see that he was euthanized but it is way better than the agony that he was going through.

Emerson1
01-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Who cares? This happens all the time in horse racing. Barbaro is not the first race horse to have to die because he got hurt. Most horses would of been put down a long time ago.

Ranger Mom
01-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Who cares? This happens all the time in horse racing. Barbaro is not the first race horse to have to die because he got hurt. Most horses would of been put down a long time ago.

SHUT UP KYLE!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't care if it happens all the time...he fought so hard and was making such a miraculous recovery.....for this to happen!!:(

Emerson1
01-29-2007, 05:48 PM
They shouldn't of been abusing him in the first place.

Gp83
01-29-2007, 05:50 PM
They shouldn't of been abusing him in the first place.
I think they took care of him the best they could and was not in pain. I think this turn for the worse is where they realized he was in pain. I also believe he was an expeirment on just how far they have come in trying to save a horse.

NDFootball
01-29-2007, 05:57 PM
RIP Barbaro

you're still my hero

BIG_STICK
01-29-2007, 06:02 PM
The sport of kings lost a great figure today. This horse had the talent to be something really special and help bring back the sport. He will always be known for his achievements as well as his fight for the last 8 months. RIP Barbaro you will be missed I wish that you could have produced some foals so your name could live on forever.

Gp83
01-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by BIG_STICK
The sport of kings lost a great figure today. This horse had the talent to be something really special and help bring back the sport. He will always be known for his achievements as well as his fight for the last 8 months. RIP Barbaro you will be missed I wish that you could have produced some foals so your name could live on forever.
I believe they unloaded his package many months ago for that very reason.

Veritas
01-29-2007, 08:31 PM
okay this emerson individual needs to leave- he is a wack job!!!!! to say the least. there is no need for you around here and keep that nonsense to yourself, that was completely uncalled for and disrespectful-----you ignorant fool----close him out for that comment, i don't come around much but whenever i see somone of message boards drop down so classless i have to say something it's just in my blood

BEST,
Veritas

Emerson1
01-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Veritas
okay this emerson individual needs to leave- he is a wack job!!!!! to say the least. there is no need for you around here and keep that nonsense to yourself, that was completely uncalled for and disrespectful-----you ignorant fool----close him out for that comment, i don't come around much but whenever i see somone of message boards drop down so classless i have to say something it's just in my blood

BEST,
Veritas
Why was it nonsense? People swear this was the first horse to ever die because they broke their leg in a race. If it had been a horse at a more local racetrack where the owner wasn't a millionaire, it would of been off to the glue factory 8 months ago. Ya it's sad he died, but you don't have to act like this is the first time it has ever happened.

People don't get sad when they are eating their juice steak.

LH Panther Mom
01-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Veritas

BEST,
Veritas
Enough!

CalallenWildcat
01-29-2007, 08:51 PM
It's a travesty they made him suffer this long. If he would have been anything other than one of the most famous racehorses in the world, he would have been put down at the first injury. Instead, the owners have wasted their money by keeping him alive, and for what? Suffering!

I was hoping as much as you guys that he would recover, but I knew in my mind that it simply wasn't going to happen.

Oh, and one other thing...Veritas, you, sir (or mam), are the ignorant fool...we have told you before to stop calling out members who have been here much longer than you have been. We welcome you on the board, but you need not be constantly trying to change how things are done here.

luvhoops34
01-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Why was it nonsense? People swear this was the first horse to ever die because they broke their leg in a race. If it had been a horse at a more local racetrack where the owner wasn't a millionaire, it would of been off to the glue factory 8 months ago. Ya it's sad he died, but you don't have to act like this is the first time it has ever happened.

People don't get sad when they are eating their juice steak.

Wow, I don't even know where to start on your ignorant comments.

#1. If you don't care fine, but do the rest of us a favor and keep your uninformed, ignorant comments to yourself. Don't read the post, much less reply to it.

#2. You obviously don't like or have never owned a horse. If you did you wouldn't make DA comments like the ones above.

#3. Barbaro was a true champion. A horse like him comes along once in a lifetime. But once again it's useless trying to explain anything about horses to a totally clueless person like yourself.

#4. Barbaro fought for months to recover from this accident. A horse of less mettle wouldn't have survived the first week after the accident.

#4. People in the USA don't eat horse meat.

#5. A horse with a broken leg isn't shipped off to the glue factory as you call it. They are euthanized by a licensed veterinarian.

#6. Do yourself and the rest of us a big favor by researching your replies so you don't look so moronic and ignorant when you post about a subject you obviously know absolutely nothing about.

Matthew328
01-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Coaches make me laugh...

http://www.theoldcoach.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=44171

CalallenWildcat
01-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
#3. Barbaro was a true champion. A horse like him comes along once in a lifetime. But once again it's useless trying to explain anything about horses to a totally clueless person like yourself.

#4. Barbaro fought for months to recover from this accident. A horse of less mettle wouldn't have survived the first week after the accident.

On the rest of your posts, I completely agree with you. But on #3 - My contention is that no matter the level of accomplishment/fame/etc., if you have a horse that in the end, cannot be saved, you should take him/her out of his misery. On #4...I think you have to attribute some of that to the fact that the best veterinarians in the world were tending to Barbaro. Sure, the horse fought, but all horses fight - they just aren't surrounded by the same caliber of vets as Barbaro was.

luvhoops34
01-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
It's a travesty they made him suffer this long. If he would have been anything other than one of the most famous racehorses in the world, he would have been put down at the first injury. Instead, the owners have wasted their money by keeping him alive, and for what? Suffering!

I was hoping as much as you guys that he would recover, but I knew in my mind that it simply wasn't going to happen.

Oh, and one other thing...Veritas, you, sir (or mam), are the ignorant fool...we have told you before to stop calling out members who have been here much longer than you have been. We welcome you on the board, but you need not be constantly trying to change how things are done here.

FYI:

The owners of Barbaro and his attending veterinarian's number one priority was to make sure Barbaro didn't suffer and would have quality of life. If this became impossible they planned to euthanize him from the beginning. This was all highly publicized and not kept from the public.

Do not bedgrude the owners because they had the funds to try and save Barbaro's life. Do you know how many horse owners when faced with the same situation have no recourse but to euthanize their beloved pet. A true lover of horses will go to the ends of the earth for their animals. To suggest that it was done out of greed or ignorance is foolish and uncaring.

pirate4state
01-29-2007, 09:15 PM
:helpme: :helpme:

Gobbla2001
01-29-2007, 09:22 PM
I think it's one of those things where everyone's sad to see the champ go...

I'm gunna write an article about when one of my uncle horses dies... The main one, her name is French-Fry... the first one I ever rode... she's the coolest... I think she's actually older than I am... been around ever since I was born...

She'd probably whup Barbaro's ass...

FRENCH-FRY RULESSSSS!!!!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gobbla2001
01-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Thinking back, the last horse I rode was about 4 years ago... and it got hit by a car about a year ago...

She was cool too, just didn't like trees... freaked me out...

3afan
01-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Emerson just likes shock value .... suckers !!! :D

oh, and too bad about Barbaro ... sad day for the sporting community ...

CalallenWildcat
01-29-2007, 11:22 PM
FYI:

The owners of Barbaro and his attending veterinarian's number one priority was to make sure Barbaro didn't suffer and would have quality of life. If this became impossible they planned to euthanize him from the beginning. This was all highly publicized and not kept from the public.

Do not bedgrude the owners because they had the funds to try and save Barbaro's life. Do you know how many horse owners when faced with the same situation have no recourse but to euthanize their beloved pet. A true lover of horses will go to the ends of the earth for their animals. To suggest that it was done out of greed or ignorance is foolish and uncaring.

Different strokes for different folks is all...you see it one way, I see it another, and I'm cool with that :cool:

I didn't mean that it was done out of greed or ignorance, and I should have stated my original post in another way, but my point was that if this horse were just another horse on the farm, it would have been euthanized from the start...even so, with all the money the owners put in, Barbaro still was not able to make it and ended up suffering to the point that he had to be euthanized. Not to mention the mental suffering Barbaro must have gone through (unlike some people, I do believe that many animals have rational ability) since his career was cut short.

Don't act as if I am a stranger to horses or horse racing...I am a fan of horse racing and have even met Pat Day a few times...In addition, I know a few jockeys on the lower levels of the sport.

Keith7
01-29-2007, 11:50 PM
rip barbaro! u will be missed

Ranger Mom
01-30-2007, 08:17 AM
WOW!! I didn't mean to start a fire storm with this. When I told Emerson1 to "SHUT UP KYLE"...that was just a little joke anyway, which several of us on here know about.

I thought it was understood that when Barbaro started showing pain, that was when the life-saving measures would stop.

If I had unlimited money and I thought I could possibly save one of my animals with minimum pain, I would do everything in my power to do so.

I STILL think it is sad in any case, just as I would if GMA had done a story on someones backyard horse that no one had ever heard of. It was the fight in the horse that impressed me, not the fact that he had won the Kentucky Derby!

mwynn05
01-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Wow, I don't even know where to start on your ignorant comments.

#1. If you don't care fine, but do the rest of us a favor and keep your uninformed, ignorant comments to yourself. Don't read the post, much less reply to it.

#2. You obviously don't like or have never owned a horse. If you did you wouldn't make DA comments like the ones above.

#4. People in the USA don't eat horse meat.

#5. A horse with a broken leg isn't shipped off to the glue factory as you call it. They are euthanized by a licensed veterinarian.

#6. Do yourself and the rest of us a big favor by researching your replies so you don't look so moronic and ignorant when you post about a subject you obviously no absolutely nothing about. I think you are showing ignorance and a lack of respect also.

bulldogman06
01-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Does anyone else realize this is a horse? not some person, a horse that everyone wants to make money off of. sure, he may have been a great horse, but he was just that, a horse! and please dont tell me anything about i how i must not have any horses, how does 50 sound? i live on a ranch, or did before college, and have dealt with horses for the majority of my life. RIP Barbaro, sure, but thats about all that should be said. great horse, its sad you died, sorry. the end. nothing to fuss about. thousands of people die every day, id sacrifice 1000 barbaros to save one of them.

Ranger Mom
01-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
Does anyone else realize this is a horse? not some person, a horse that everyone wants to make money off of. sure, he may have been a great horse, but he was just that, a horse! and please dont tell me anything about i how i must not have any horses, how does 50 sound? i live on a ranch, or did before college, and have dealt with horses for the majority of my life. RIP Barbaro, sure, but thats about all that should be said. great horse, its sad you died, sorry. the end. nothing to fuss about. thousands of people die every day, id sacrifice 1000 barbaros to save one of them.

GEEEEZ!! Post one article and all hell breaks loose!

I STILL feel sad for him, I don't give a rat's patooty WHAT yall say!!:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

kaorder1999
01-30-2007, 09:46 AM

if you are bothered so much about people being sad about Barbaro's death then DONT READ THIS THREAD!

Ranger Mom
01-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
if you are bothered so much about people being sad about Barbaro's death then DONT READ THIS THREAD!

Thank you!!!!

Speaking of...did you ever get another puppy?

kaorder1999
01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
nope...not yet. We are looking though. Thought about getting one soon but tax season is about to begin and she will be extremely busy and I will be busy with track so we are now thinking about waiting unil the summer

vet93
01-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Callallen...I understand what you are trying to say...but to say that Barbaro had no chance is not correct. Maybe 20 years ago, however, with some of the technologies that are being implemented in modern equine orthopedics...Barbaro had a legit shot at recovery. Granted, not everyone can afford this level of medicine, but it is available. Had he survived the owners would have made all of those vet bills and then some back in stud/semen fees. What ended up causing Barbaros demise was actually laminitis and not the fracture itself. Granted, he likely would have not gotten laminitis if not for the fracture, but I think that it was worth a shot. In my opinion, euthanasia, should be implemented in the absence of legitimate hope, not the presence of pain that may very well be temporary (assuming the owner has the financial means to provide the proper care.

Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
On the rest of your posts, I completely agree with you. But on #3 - My contention is that no matter the level of accomplishment/fame/etc., if you have a horse that in the end, cannot be saved, you should take him/her out of his misery. On #4...I think you have to attribute some of that to the fact that the best veterinarians in the world were tending to Barbaro. Sure, the horse fought, but all horses fight - they just aren't surrounded by the same caliber of vets as Barbaro was.

BuffyMars
01-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by vet93
Callallen...I understand what you are trying to say...but to say that Barbaro had no chance is not correct. Maybe 20 years ago, however, with some of the technologies that are being implemented in modern equine orthopedics...Barbaro had a legit shot at recovery. Granted, not everyone can afford this level of medicine, but it is available. Had he survived the owners would have made all of those vet bills and then some back in stud/semen fees. What ended up causing Barbaros demise was actually laminitis and not the fracture itself. Granted, he likely would have not gotten laminitis if not for the fracture, but I think that it was worth a shot. In my opinion, euthanasia, should be implemented in the absence of legitimate hope, not the presence of pain that may very well be temporary (assuming the owner has the financial means to provide the proper care.

Well said. :clap:

Bullaholic
01-30-2007, 10:32 AM

Awww---What does a guy who gets $50 for sticking a thermometer up a cat's butt know, anyhow. :D

bulldogman06
01-30-2007, 10:39 AM
sorry guys, its not that it bothers me that much, i love horse racing and was hoping he would get better. its just that people blow it way outta perspective(not saying you did ranger mom)

vet93
01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Hey Bull.....you need to move out to the wilderness...I only get $35 for sticking a thermometer up a cat's rear....well actually I don't.....I pay someone else to do the actual work....I just take all of the credit if the cat get better (and pass the buck if the cat gets worse....)!!!:D

Originally posted by Bullaholic
Awww---What does a guy who gets $50 for sticking a thermometer up a cat's butt know, anyhow. :D

Bullaholic
01-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey Bull.....you need to move out to the wilderness...I only get $35 for sticking a thermometer up a cat's rear....well actually I don't.....I pay someone else to do the actual work....I just take all of the credit if the cat get better (and pass the buck if the cat gets worse....)!!!:D

I forgot that you were out there around Paint Rock, Vet, and don't get the big city rates.

I may have told you a story about one of the local vet friends of mine, but I'll tell it again in case I didn't. It seems that a gal with a pit bull brought him in to the local vet for his shots. They put him up on the exam table, but he didn't want to stay and so the gal wrapped both arms around him and held him while the vet got ready to give the shot. Well, hus t as the vet "zeroed in" on the dog's back, he jerked real hard and the vet missed and stuck this gal ( who was very endowed) in her right breast. We made a target with a hypo stuck in it and gave it to him at a Lion's Club meeting. That vet is no longer here---probably why he moved away. :D

vet93
01-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Now that is a mistake that I haven't made yet.....

By the way...I think a couple of my classmates went out to Bridgeport (one of these guys may have been the one that needed target practice). They were Jeff Williams and Bill McGee. Do you know these guys?

Originally posted by Bullaholic
I forgot that you were out there around Paint Rock, Vet, and don't get the big city rates.

I may have told you a story about one of the local vet friends of mine, but I'll tell it again in case I didn't. It seems that a gal with a pit bull brought him in to the local vet for his shots. They put him up on the exam table, but he didn't want to stay and so the gal wrapped both arms around him and held him while the vet got ready to give the shot. Well, hus t as the vet "zeroed in" on the dog's back, he jerked real hard and the vet missed and stuck this gal ( who was very endowed) in her right breast. We made a target with a hypo stuck in it and gave it to him at a Lion's Club meeting. That vet is no longer here---probably why he moved away. :D

Bullaholic
01-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Now that is a mistake that I haven't made yet.....

By the way...I think a couple of my classmates went out to Bridgeport (one of these guys may have been the one that needed target practice). They were Jeff Williams and Bill McGee. Do you know these guys?

Very well. They have been customers and friends for years. The vet in my story was one in the same clinic before Jeff and Bill bought it.

Phil C
01-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Before this gets closed all I want to say is:

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Phil C
01-30-2007, 03:46 PM
I know it was a horse and a horse is an animal but their lives mean as much to them as our lives mean to us.

Remember this is their world too. God gave us dominion of the world but it is still their world. Remember that.

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!

Emerson1
01-30-2007, 05:10 PM
sorry guys, its not that it bothers me that much, i love horse racing and was hoping he would get better. its just that people blow it way outta perspective(not saying you did ranger mom) It's just funny watching people act like this is the very first time a horse has ever broken a leg in a race and had to be put down.

that made my day.

Ranger Mom
01-30-2007, 05:19 PM
It's just funny watching people act like this is the very first time a horse has ever broken a leg in a race and had to be put down.

that made my day.

You would cry like a little baby if something happened to Rusty....don't act like you wouldn't!!

Emerson1
01-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Not sure that that has to do with anything, I have said already that it was sad that he died. It's just funny that people are acting like this is a 1 time deal, and act like he fought harder than any other horse would of.

He was a horse. Horses get sick. Horses die. Yet while the nation mourns the death of this particular race horse, we'll have rodeos across the country this weekend. We'll make a spectacle of cows getting tied up. Some may be injured or die due to the way people treat them.

Bulls will be slain in Mexico and Spain in arenas drawing thousands of fans.

Driving on the highway today, you'll probably see two or three animals who ended up as roadkill.

Ranger Mom
01-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Not sure that that has to do with anything, I have said already that it was sad that he died. It's just funny that people are acting like this is a 1 time deal, and act like he fought harder than any other horse would of.

He was a horse. Horses get sick. Horses die. Yet while the nation mourns the death of this particular race horse, we'll have rodeos across the country this weekend. We'll make a spectacle of cows getting tied up. Some may be injured or die due to the way people treat them.

Bulls will be slain in Mexico and Spain in arenas drawing thousands of fans.

Driving on the highway today, you'll probably see two or three animals who ended up as roadkill.

I just posted the article I read about it....then a couple of people said how sad it was. It is yall that keep griping about the fact that some thought it was a sad situation that are making such a big deal about it.

Geez...I wish i had never posted the damn thing now!:doh: