PDA

View Full Version : Miami plans giant party upon Castro's death (merged)

kaorder1999
01-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Miami plans giant party upon Castro's death

09:53 AM CST on Monday, January 29, 2007
Associated Press

MIAMI - The city of Miami is planning an official celebration at the Orange Bowl whenever Cuban president Fidel Castro dies.

Discussions by a committee appointed earlier this month by the city commission to plan the event have even covered issues such as a theme to be printed on T-shirts, what musicians would perform, the cost and how long the celebration would last.

Such a gathering has long been part of the city's plan for Castro's death, but firming up the specifics has been more urgent since Castro became ill last summer and turned over power to his brother, Raul.

City Commissioner Tomas Regalado, a Cuban American, came up with the idea of using the Orange Bowl, noting that the stadium was the site of a speech by President Kennedy in 1961 promising a free Cuba, and that in the 1980s it served as a camp for refugees from the Mariel boatlift from Cuba.

"(Castro) represents everything bad that has happened to the people of Cuba for 48 years," Regalado told The Miami Herald for a story in Monday editions. "There is something to celebrate, regardless of what happens next."

Former state Rep. Luis Morse stressed the need for an uplifting theme for the party -- one not preoccupied with a human being's passing.

Critics have accused the city of dictating where people should party, with many preferring to celebrate on the streets of Little Havana. The city says the Orange Bowl celebration would not preclude that.

"This is not a mandatory site," Regalado said of the Orange Bowl. "Just a place for people to gather."

Ramon Saul Sanchez, leader of the Miami-based Democracy Movement organization, worries about how a party to celebrate a man's death would be perceived by people outside the Cuban exile community.

Sanchez also pointed out that, even after Castro dies, his communist government still will be in place.

"The notion of a big party, I think, should be removed from all this," Sanchez said. "Although everybody will be very happy that the dictator cannot continue to oppress us himself, I think everybody is still very sad because there are still prisons full of prisoners, many people executed, and families divided."

kaorder1999
01-29-2007, 12:10 PM
how insensitive!!

3afan
01-29-2007, 12:11 PM
thats got to be bogus .........

kaorder1999
01-29-2007, 12:12 PM
they are running it at the DMN

Maroon87
01-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Miami plans big party when Castro dies

MIAMI - The city of Miami is planning an official celebration at the Orange Bowl whenever Cuban president Fidel Castro dies.

Discussions by a committee appointed earlier this month by the city commission to plan the event have even covered issues such as a theme to be printed on T-shirts, what musicians would perform, the cost and how long the celebration would last.

Such a gathering has long been part of the city's plan for Castro's death, but firming up the specifics has been more urgent since Castro became ill last summer and turned over power to his brother, Raul.

City Commissioner Tomas Regalado, a Cuban American, came up with the idea of using the Orange Bowl, noting that the stadium was the site of a speech by President Kennedy in 1961 promising a free Cuba, and that in the 1980s it served as a camp for refugees from the Mariel boatlift from Cuba.

"Basically, the only thing we're trying to do is have a venue, a giant venue ready for people, if they wish, to speak to the media, to show their emotions. It's not that we're doing an official death party," Regalado said Monday.

Former state Rep. Luis Morse stressed the need for an uplifting theme for the party — one not preoccupied with a human being's passing.

Critics have accused the city of dictating where people should party, with many preferring to celebrate on the streets of Little Havana. The city says the Orange Bowl celebration would not preclude that.

"This is not a mandatory site," Regalado said of the Orange Bowl. "Just a place for people to gather."

Ramon Saul Sanchez, leader of the Miami-based Democracy Movement organization, worries about how a party to celebrate a man's death would be perceived by people outside the Cuban exile community.

Sanchez also pointed out that, even after Castro dies, his communist government still will be in place.

"The notion of a big party, I think, should be removed from all this," Sanchez said. "Although everybody will be very happy that the dictator cannot continue to oppress us himself, I think everybody is still very sad because there are still prisons full of prisoners, many people executed, and families divided."

BILLYFRED0000
01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
no they are certainly entitled to their opinion.

Blastoderm55
01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I would have a problem with it being state-sponsored. So long as it isn't, let the people party all night long.

kaorder1999
01-29-2007, 01:36 PM
i cant believe we havent heard from PHIL yet on this one

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Nope. The ones that escaped from Cuba lived under a communist dictator they have right to celebrate his death. It must be somewhat liberating for them to know that maybe the tyranny will end. They may still have family there and definitly have a connection to their homeland and would like to go back and forth freely. Hell I might throw a party when he dies. Cubans know how to party.

Blastoderm55
01-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Cubans know how to party.

They'll bring the cigars. :cool:

Hansum Stranger
01-29-2007, 01:40 PM
How much different will Cuba be when Castro's brother is in charge? It will be same song 2nd verse.

Phil C
01-29-2007, 02:03 PM
The USA didn't have big celebrations when Tojo and Hitler from WW2 died nor even when Sadam was excecuted recently.

Blastoderm55
01-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
nor even when Sadam was excecuted recently.

The country as a whole did not, but groups of Iraqis both there and here celebrated. I remember seeing a large gathering on television in Detroit on the eve of his execution. I figure the Cuban immigrants would have something similar in mind if not on a greater scale.