PDA

View Full Version : State of the Cowboys

burnet44
01-28-2007, 11:36 AM
It's hard to see a silver-and-blue lining right now

01:48 AM CST on Sunday, January 28, 2007

Five Lombardi Trophies and eight Super Bowl appearances and 28 trips to the playoffs have generally made it easy to be a Cowboys fan. But has it ever been any harder than right now?

I think the winter of 2007 ranks in the top three of the "Tough To Be A Cowboys Fan" list. And it may rank right at the top.

Your team has no coach and no direction, and you are counting on Jerry Jones to set the course. And that's only the beginning of the crisis.

But before going on, let's examine two other Januarys when it seemed oh-so-bleak in the world of the Cowboys.

January 1970
Your heroes had made four straight trips to the playoffs and had nothing to show for it. Two NFL championship losses to Green Bay weren't so bad. One game would become legendary.

But when the NFL broke into four divisions to create an additional round of playoffs, the Cowboys lost in consecutive seasons to the Cleveland Browns. The first loss in Cleveland sent Don Meredith into early retirement.

The second was even more devastating, a 38-14 whipping in the Cotton Bowl that cast doubt over new quarterback Craig Morton and the direction of the entire team. Author Steve Perkins had classified the Cowboys as "Next Year's Champions," and it appeared this team might never get over the hump.

Would they ever win a playoff game?

Actually, the team was about to turn the corner and make its first two trips to the Super Bowl.

But it hardly looked that way at the time.

January 1990
Jones and Jimmy Johnson had hijacked your team and guided it to a sparkling 1-15 record in 1989. To make matters worse, they already had squandered the No. 1 pick in exchange for backup quarterback Steve Walsh.

Although the New Orleans Saints would ease the pain of that misstep by trading for Walsh, I think Junior Seau might have looked good in a Cowboys uniform for the last 15 years or so.

In 1990, there was no sense that the Cowboys knew what they were doing. At the Senior Bowl that winter, one scout told me, "Jimmy and Jerry act like they just went 15-1, not 1-15."

We had no sense at the time that there was any foundation for their cockiness. But the drafting of Emmitt Smith would change their fortunes in a hurry.

That brings us to today. The Cowboys aren't a laughing stock as they were in 1990, but their state of affairs puzzles people across the league.

The Bill Parcells era turned out to be fruitless. He upgraded the roster but was unable to deliver a single wild-card playoff win. All the optimism generated by that 10-6 beginning has been lost.

The quarterback is a work in progress. Tony Romo has plenty of potential, but it's left to unproven coordinator Jason Garrett to tap into it.

Jones is back, fully in charge, and don't expect that to change anytime soon. He's doing things his way, which means hiring a coordinator before the head coach. I don't know, you tell me how that works.

Your self-appointed team spokesman is one Terrell Owens. And when he rips Parcells after the coach's exit, Romo is left in the uncomfortable position of having to defend the receiver who remains his teammate.

The offense was mostly very good in 2006, and those coaches are heading out the door.

The defense was a disaster as the Cowboys' season fell apart, and most of those coaches remain in place.

The switch to the 3-4 has not met with success, but having drafted players to fit that style, it seems there is no turning back in the near future.

The franchise's state is such that hiring Norv Turner, a twice failed head coach, sounds like a good idea.

Anything that conjures memories of 1992 sits well with Cowboys fans. That's what 10 years without a playoff win and the realization that even a proven "football guy" can't necessarily save the franchise will do.

charlesrixey
01-28-2007, 11:40 AM
i wish bill cowher would come to dallas

burnet44
01-28-2007, 11:58 AM
he wont no way
after working for the rooney's?

like night and day in dallas

he would never take this job
as we used to say

for all the tea in China

charlesrixey
01-28-2007, 12:09 PM
don't dash ALL of my dreams, burnet!

who do you think will end up coaching here? i have no interest whatsoever in norv turner.

SintonFan_inAustin
01-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
he wont no way

as we used to say

for all the tea in China
My brother in law wife is a cousin of Bill Cowher and they are working on getting him interested in Dallas job.:)

injuredinmelee
01-28-2007, 01:34 PM
I do not knw how anybody can be a Cowboys fan right now and I was driven away about 10 years ago. Jerry JOens is the biggest idiot running a professional team. Jason Garrett? Please. Norv Turner? Come on he hasnt been successdul as a Head Coach anywhere. No one good will take the Cowboys job as long as they are not also GM or allowed to hire a true football man for GM.

Hansum Stranger
01-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I do not knw how anybody can be a Cowboys fan right now and I was driven away about 10 years ago.

It's easy to be a fan right now, unless you jump on and off the bandwagon. I'll stick with the Cowboys thru the bad times and the good times.

NDFootball
01-28-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm a cowboys fan but it's really depressing. :(

I'm not real excited about any of the coaching finalists our "incredible" GM has selected. No offense to the fellow Cowboys fans but Parcells was smart when he jumped ship. This team is a circus and will continue to be until someone besides Jerry Jones is the GM, but who knows though maybe he will make a smart move for the first time in 10 years.

BuffyMars
01-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I do not knw how anybody can be a Cowboys fan right now and I was driven away about 10 years ago. Jerry JOens is the biggest idiot running a professional team. Jason Garrett? Please. Norv Turner? Come on he hasnt been successdul as a Head Coach anywhere. No one good will take the Cowboys job as long as they are not also GM or allowed to hire a true football man for GM.

Same way people stay being Rangers fans...through the good times and the bad.

injuredinmelee
01-28-2007, 03:03 PM
You can be a fan buit not support the organization in its current state. I wont waste my time watchign them I wont waste my money suporting them. Jerry Jones has an ego problem and until he can see past his own fame and hires soemone to run this organization that knows what they are doing the Boys will continue to stay right around the 500 mark and might sneak into the playoffs occasionally.

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Acccording to the super bowl, he needs to hire a black man...

Hansum Stranger
01-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Acccording to the super bowl, he needs to hire a black man...

Maybe he'll hire Marlin Fan :D

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
Maybe he'll hire Marlin Fan :D

No way... can imagine the cheerleaders being replaced by blow-up dolls? Jones isn't that stupid...

charlesrixey
01-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
No way... can imagine the cheerleaders being replaced by blow-up dolls? Jones isn't that stupid...

even if he has more plastic surgery than them?

oh lord..........

maybe jones will replace the cheerleaders with himself too!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :(

piratebg
01-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm a Cowboys fan till death. I have and never will jump ship no matter what. That is what true fans do. :cool:

charlesrixey
01-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Amen pbg!

Way too many people jumped on board after Romo got hot and the cowboys were 9-5, people that have been panning the 'boys since 1995.

piratebg
01-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
Amen pbg!

Way too many people jumped on board after Romo got hot and the cowboys were 9-5, people that have been panning the 'boys since 1995.

No me, my friend. I enter every season with the same optimism I did the year before, and I focus on the good things that happened the throughout the year. They are so close to being a great team right now. Anyone who fails to see that should be shot.

g$$
01-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Circus? Seems like that is something I have been saying...have fun Dallas fans! I still vote for Jerry Jones as HC. ;)

SintonFan_inAustin
01-28-2007, 08:26 PM
who ever coaches them they will have talented offense to work with and a good defense. Offense with its struggles still manage to be one of the top teams in scoring and second only to Colts in 3rd conversions pct. 48%. Colts led the league at 52%. This team can be very good and i'll look forward to them being super bowl contenders again next year.:thumbsup:

burnet44
01-29-2007, 09:10 AM
people got off the Titanic
even though they were fans

Phil C
01-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
It's easy to be a fan right now, unless you jump on and off the bandwagon. I'll stick with the Cowboys thru the bad times and the good times.

Me too. And I still wear my Cowboy coat and cap around town too. Sometimes I switch and wear my Spurs cap though.

Phil C
01-29-2007, 09:52 AM

This ain't the Titanic. In fact it is on dry land. :)

burnet44
01-29-2007, 10:10 AM
going down like rock

Macarthur
01-29-2007, 11:03 AM
he wont no way

as we used to say

for all the tea in China

Yeah, the Rooney's are the picture of class. That's the same organization that has underpaid Cowher for his entire stay in Pitt. That is a big reason why he's not still there.

I laugh at you that compare the organization to the titanic. This is a talented roster. Turner will have this offense clicking. All they need is a good DC and they will be fine. This team is closer than many of you are giving credit.

pirate4state
01-29-2007, 11:06 AM

weak

A true fan sticks with their team through thick & thin. I don't mind bandwagon fans. Say what you will about the Cowboys, but there is no denying that no other franchise generates as much buzz as the 'Boys. :cool: :D

buff4ever
01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
once a cowboy always a cowboy. stayin a fan through these tough years will make the next great one feel even better than it did in the 90's.

I am a little disappointed w/ our options right now, but I do feel we are talented enough to win next year. A few surprises in this coaching selection and it could be an exciting year. WHO KNOWS JASON GARRET MAY BE THE NEXT GREATEST COACH EVER.

Bullaholic
01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Yeah, the Rooney's are the picture of class. That's the same organization that has underpaid Cowher for his entire stay in Pitt. That is a big reason why he's not still there.

I laugh at you that compare the organization to the titanic. This is a talented roster. Turner will have this offense clicking. All they need is a good DC and they will be fine. This team is closer than many of you are giving credit.

I agree, Mac---Norv Turner just needs the kind of latent talent that is on the Dallas roster right now to make things "click". I think he will kill himself trying if given this chance.

BuffyMars
01-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
weak

A true fan sticks with their team through thick & thin. I don't mind bandwagon fans. Say what you will about the Cowboys, but there is no denying that no other franchise generates as much buzz as the 'Boys. :cool: :D

Preach on Sistah girl!!!

Word.