PDA

View Full Version : No Pass, No Play ........ NO FAIR!

3afan
01-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Here is an interesting story on the front page of todays DMN about how school district can exempt some classes form the no pass, no play rule. very interesting .... sorry can't post the article but here's the link

CLICK ME! (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/012807dnmetnopass.1eae62a.html)

OK, now who's gonna be the first one to blame the UIL and say its all about the money!?!?!?! :p

Phil C
01-28-2007, 09:47 AM
I couldn't get the article to come up but I personally was against it. A student could be a good athlete and student and find that a physics or whatever class is too hard for him and not be able to pass it. I always believed you should be allowed one failure. But two or more is a different story.
But that is just my opinion.

charlesrixey
01-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I couldn't get the article to come up but I personally was against it. A student could be a good athlete and student and find that a physics or whatever class is too hard for him and not be able to pass it. I always believed you should be allowed one failure. But two or more is a different story.
But that is just my opinion.

I agree, phil

parents push their kids to take the hardest classes, and sometimes they shouldn't. when that happens, the kids shouldn't be punished for their parents unrealistic expectations.

Hansum Stranger
01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
No pass no play was and still is a great thing. There should be no loop holes at all. If the kid can't pass he should spend his time studing instead of practicing a sport that after a couple of years the kid most likely won't be playing anymore. A kids education will take him alot futher than the kids athletic ability will.

3afan
01-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
No pass no play was and still is a great thing. There should be no loop holes at all. If the kid can't pass he should spend his time studing instead of practicing a sport that after a couple of years the kid most likely won't be playing anymore. A kids education will take him alot futher than the kids athletic ability will.

IMO: i think some exceptions for some classes could be OK, as long as its "regulated" and not taken advantage of

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
I agree, phil

parents push their kids to take the hardest classes, and sometimes they shouldn't. when that happens, the kids shouldn't be punished for their parents unrealistic expectations.

What he said, but It is also not right when your best player cant read and this person is put in remedial classes that are exempt. just so they can play.

Emerson1
01-28-2007, 10:54 AM
It isn't that hard to pass even if you are as dumb as a rock. Go to tutoring a few times and try to show that you care and any teacher will pass you.

olddawggreen
01-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Go to tutoring a few times and try to show that you care and any teacher will pass you.

Generally your right, except for "Sternball Wanda, who generally hates the male gender to start with and thinks coaches make way too much money and get way too much attention, and has an attitude that I hate athletes, and just can't wait to put them in their place and show them who is really important around here!:mad: :mad: :flaming: :foul:

hawkfan
01-28-2007, 12:31 PM
One thing that people need to understand is that you don't go to school to play sports, you go to get an education. As a school kid, you have a legal right to get an education, you have no right to play sports, it is a privilege . If you can't pass you classes, you should not be able to play for length of the suspension PERIOD.

GOFOR2
01-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
It isn't that hard to pass even if you are as dumb as a rock. Go to tutoring a few times and try to show that you care and any teacher will pass you.

I tend to agree with you but not all teachers have enough sense to pass someone who shows they care but still cant get it. I have known a few teachers who are pretty dumb too and lack alot of sense.

Maroon87
01-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Generally your right, except for "Sternball Wanda, who generally hates the male gender to start with and thinks coaches make way too much money and get way too much attention, and has an attitude that I hate athletes, and just can't wait to put them in their place and show them who is really important around here!:mad: :mad: :flaming: :foul:

I had a few of those in my day...:rolleyes:

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Things may have changed but I know if we were taking dual credit or AP classes we could make a D and it still be passing because it is in college and that was a college class. I know alot of my friends that used that to their advantage.

STANG RED
01-28-2007, 01:22 PM
The problem with "No pass, no play" or "Zero tolerence" policies, are that they are usually built around one ideal set of circumstances that tend to be unflexable towards many real life circumstances that people find themselves in. I've always thought these cookie cutter fixes were derived from a knee jerk reaction to a symptom of a serious problem, but only attempt to address the symptom, without really addressing the real problem, and usually only end up punishing those that are already coming from less than ideal circumstances to begin with, and just end up further hendering them with even more problems.

Pesonally, I applaud some school distircts for trying to take some of the unfairness out of the no pall no play rule. The problem is, I'm sure some have abused the exemptions.