PDA

View Full Version : Guitar player report ...

3afan
01-28-2007, 08:15 AM
OK you guitar players ... how's the practice going? making any progress? any good stories/hints for us?

Gobbla - how's that new Ibanez working out?

jason - how'd the 2nd lesson go?

----------------

I've been practing simple barre chords lately. its not easy. i definitely need to improve my thumb/index finger strength on the left hand - gets tired easy barre-ing all the time. also practicing the chords/progressions/songs I "know" so I dont lose them

i dont have near the time I had when I was in VA so thats a problem.

----------------

hint for the barre chords ... start by playinh with just the barre. for example on a Bm, just make the barre on the 2nd fret and play that until you can get it smooth. yeah the Bm wont sound right but who cares. then when you can do that pretty good, add the middle finger 3rd fret/B string to the Bm and work on that. and so on.

but the key is PATIENCE, and PRACTICE, and REPITITION. its not easy and its takes a long time, so get that in your head.

and most of all, HAVE FUN WITH IT!

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
It gets better all of the time... getting upset because I wasn't blessed with long fingers so I can hold a barre chord in drop D tuning and slide to it from a mile away with my index finger... but other than that I'm lovin' it as always...

good stories? played at Christmas and jaws dropped, but I've been strummin' around a long time, always had the rhythm, have just been exploring the whole guitar a lot more the last year... Christmas was a lot of fun, had folks singing everything from "I'll Fly Away" to the "Buckin' Song" and "She Sang the Red River Valley" from Reckless Kelly...

tips? stay after it

IF I play a song with a lot of barre chords in it my fingers get tired... most people I know will have a pretty good amount of pain in their hands if they play a song full of barre chords etc... but I guess you get used to it at some point if you keep playing...

and my ibanez is doing great, lovin' it...

Ive never been up to speed on which chord is what etc..., but mess around with the G7... it's fun...

3afan
01-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
.... drop D tuning ...

haven't learnt that yet ........... :thinking:

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
haven't learnt that yet ........... :thinking:

I never used it until about three weeks ago really...

a lot of metal bands will use it so they can hold the top three strings with one finger for one chord...

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 10:37 AM
I never used it until about three weeks ago really...

a lot of metal bands will use it so they can hold the top three strings with one finger for one chord...

and I don't play metal btw... but it's a deeper sound when you strum a basic D

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Fiddle players rock, and so do pickers!~~~~

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Fiddle players rock, and so do pickers!~~~~

I actually wanna pick up the fiddle one day... was actually going to get a mandolin but it is different from guitar and I don't want to take away from my guitar playing just yet...

3afan
01-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Drop D Tuning explained (http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/drop-d-tuning/index.php)

Emerson1
01-28-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm stuck on Mother on hard mode.

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

haha

Maroon87
01-28-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm a pretty good strummer. I'd like to become a good lead player but I'm many miles away from that. However I do know enough songs to entertain my friends for an hour or two.:cool:

3afan
01-28-2007, 11:10 AM

:nerd:

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
However I do know enough songs to entertain my friends for an hour or two.:cool:

that's the best part about it...

I'd like to make a livin' out of it one day... we'll see

Maroon87
01-28-2007, 11:13 AM
that's the best part about it...

I'd like to make a livin' out of it one day... we'll see

I'm just trying to get up the nerve to tackle an Open Mike Night one of these days.:D

DU_stud04
01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
i think i know more songs in drop d than in standard tuning, i know a few songs from john mayor, incubus, hinder, seether.... not the usual drop d sounding bands using drop d for a few of the songs.

to go drop d ive always lowered the 6th string (hold on 7th fret) to sounds exactly like the 5th string open. then just to double check im good with octave hearing so i play both 6th and 4th strings open, same note....besides the whole pitch.

i bought me some new strings last night, some D'Addario exp lights, im about to put them on and see how i like these strings. to this day i still havent really stuck to a certain brand of strings, i just hope when i do find some i like they arent the Elixir's, id go broke :( haha

as for the guitar progress, i havent tried to learn a song in a while, just been playing what i already know and then tried to be creative and write a few songs myself. its a work in progress...

oh yea, i want a new acoustic. acoustic-electric(i like to cheat when playing the bottom of the neck with the cutout). something no more than 500(when i say no more throw out a higher price and ill still look at it, thats just what my wallet tells me i can get)

:D

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 11:20 AM
this is in drop D... I've been playing it almost non-stop since about 5 yesterday...

Stoney LaRue - One Chord Song...

http://66.36.229.168:8083/3234LSM8.wma

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm just trying to get up the nerve to tackle an Open Mike Night one of these days.:D

I'm just trying to find an open mic night...

DU_stud04
01-28-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm stuck on Mother on hard mode. first time to play guitar hero 2 yesterday(played the first one once.)

i got 88% on "Misirlou" - Dick Dale on expert. i thought i was going to die afterwards. it was fun, can it go faster???? :thinking:

the freebird solo was fun aswell onexpert. :speech:

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
not the usual drop d sounding bands using drop d for a few of the songs.

the song that is getting on my nerves is in drop D then capo'd to one... Keith Urban - Stupid Boy... I can do the first chord with the slide right starting off, and can do everything else in between, no prob... but my fingers just aren't long enough to land straight back on that chord and slide...

I'll get it...

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Also, 3A Fan - are you still using the same type of strings that came on your guitar? Mine came with the D'addario EXP lights... I went up to Medium D'addario EXPs and I think that's where I'm gunna stay... this is the second set of them I've had on this guitar...

DU_stud04
01-28-2007, 11:29 AM
the song that is getting on my nerves is in drop D then capo'd to one... Keith Urban - Stupid Boy... I can do the first chord with the slide right starting off, and can do everything else in between, no prob... but my fingers just aren't long enough to land straight back on that chord and slide...

I'll get it... i need a new song to learn, ill try this one out after i restring and run them straight first.

god blessed me with big hands, the long fingers just came with them :D

DU_stud04
01-28-2007, 11:32 AM
oh yea.....im still needing help playing with that stupid guitar slide i bought last week.

i tried convincing the slide to sell its soul to the devil and then i would take it to become famous but then it didnt like the idea and got stuck on my finger.... :(

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 11:34 AM

i tried convincing the slide to sell its soul to the devil and then i would take it to become famous but then it didnt like the idea and got stuck on my finger.... :(

Silly man, that only happens on SNL skits, and it doesn't really work :D

but that song is fun as hell to play...

I gotta keep messin' with it...

DU_stud04
01-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Silly man, that only happens on SNL skits, and it doesn't really work :D

but that song is fun as hell to play...

I gotta keep messin' with it... crossroads!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

who ever thought the karate kid daniel-son was a better guitarist than steve vai:thinking:

DU_stud04
01-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Keith Urban - Stupid Boy...

only one i can find has c,g,d,and em....(give me a link :) )

DU_stud04
01-28-2007, 11:46 AM
nm.

Gobbla2001
01-28-2007, 12:09 PM
only one i can find has c,g,d,and em....(give me a link :) )

I'm sheet music illiterate man, ha... you're gunna have to bare with me here...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm having a lot of fun. My new roommate has been playing for several years, so he teaches me a lot of stuff about picking and strumming, and I'm getting a lot better.

3afan
01-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Also, 3A Fan - are you still using the same type of strings that came on your guitar? Mine came with the D'addario EXP lights... I went up to Medium D'addario EXPs and I think that's where I'm gunna stay... this is the second set of them I've had on this guitar...

no, they came with Takimine, and i've put on some D'Addrio XLs and some Dean Markley XLs, which what is on now ... I'm going to Guitar Center (I have an $*) credit) & try another brand on Wednesday

TexanAlum_06
01-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Are yall using metal Slides? or glass. The medicine bottles sound the best, have the cleanest sound. thats what I have, called a "Blues Bottle". I use it to play the Slide parts to Freebird. I have to put a toothpick or something nonmetallic under the strings at the nut to raise the strings to keep the slide from hitting the fretboard to get a clean sound. its a lot of fun.

carter08
01-28-2007, 04:26 PM
i just jam

don't need no stinkin chords

besides C, G, and D7

DU_stud04
01-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Are yall using metal Slides? or glass. The medicine bottles sound the best, have the cleanest sound. thats what I have, called a "Blues Bottle". I use it to play the Slide parts to Freebird. I have to put a toothpick or something nonmetallic under the strings at the nut to raise the strings to keep the slide from hitting the fretboard to get a clean sound. its a lot of fun. ive got me a bottle neck slide, never played with a slide,we'll see how it ends up going.

DU_stud04
01-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by carter08
i just jam

don't need no stinkin chords

You're about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop.