PDA

View Full Version : Hunter kills dual-sex 'devil deer'

TxRedneck13
01-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Hunter kills dual-sex 'devil deer'
Brady Aymond
baymond@theadvertiser.com

When Youngsville's Craig Lewis set out to hunt on an either-sex deer day at Tony's Ranch in Ringgold, he never knew it would literallly be an either-sex day.
Lewis set up in his stand at 5:30 a.m. and around 7 a.m. spotted a small deer near his feeder. As he battled through the mist and the rain to spot the deer in his scope, another deer moved into sight.

This one was much bigger than its companion.

"When I looked up, all I could see was the body," Lewis said. "It was big, like a horse. But its head was down, so I couldn't tell if it was a buck or not. But with it being an either-sex day, I knew I had to take the shot.
"I hit it and it ran maybe five feet, then jumped into the woods."

Lewis exited his stand in search of the deer. What he found stopped him in his tracks.

"I get to the deer and I call out to my friend Perry," Lewis said. "He gets there and the first thing he says is 'What the hell is that?'

"I noticed it had a rack, but it was really fat and covered with velvet. The first thing I could think of was 'My only buck has cancer in the head.'"

Upon further examination of the deer, Lewis realized his head wasn't the only problem.

"Well, he had male organs, but no testicles," Lewis said. "So, I knew he was a boy, but something wasn't adding up."

It wasn't until Lewis brought the head to a local taxidermist that his thoughts were confirmed.

He had killed a buck...and a doe.

"The taxidermist said it looked like the deer was born a buck, but developed doe features somewhere down the road," Lewis said. "It was just the weirdest thing, because from the eyes down, it looks like a doe. But it's got a rack and was built like a buck.

"To be honest, I still don't know what I killed."

The rack had only three developed points, but Lewis said the deer had approximately 50 tines.

"The antler was so big you could barely close your hand around it," Lewis said.

All told, the buck/doe weighed a robust 239 pounds. Lewis said the deer produced pretty meat, but he or his friends have yet to taste it.

"My friends are tripping out big-time," Lewis said. "They call it the 'Devil Deer.' Some of them don't even want any meat. I'm kind of skeptical about eating it myself.

"We're going to have a little cookout one day and I'll get someone to try the meat."

Lewis' deer's head will be on display at the February 10 Beast Fest in Coushatta, an annual event held in the small North Louisiana town. The deer will also be featured in the March edition of Louisiana Sportsman's Magazine.

"It's been a lot of fun," Lewis said. "Everybody's calling to talk about the deer. It's just a crazy deer, that's all it is. I consider myself fortunate because I've only been hunting for two years and people spend a lifetime without getting a kill like this."

for a Picture heres a link
http://www.acadiananow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070125/NEWS01/701250301/1002

necks_c/09
01-26-2007, 09:15 PM
wow thats weird

mistanice
01-26-2007, 09:20 PM
the infamous Chupacabra! (goat sucker)

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Thats hoys,ta,cated.

Gobbla2001
01-27-2007, 05:42 AM
I read about two deer such as this is my Texas Trophy Hunter mags a couple of years back...

The two I read about were mainly doe, they just had antlers... they never shed their velvet from what I know, that's another way to tell if it's a freak of nature or a regular buck, regular bucks aren't sporting velvet come november and december...

talkin' about some freakin' lookin' antlers though...

GOFOR2
01-27-2007, 10:15 PM
that is sick