PDA

View Full Version : computer question......

luvhoops34
01-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Please don't laugh, but can I use a router with a dial up isp?

Blastoderm55
01-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Sure, you should be able to. I use a hub to share a dialup connection with the computers I have here at work. Just enable the Internet Connection Sharing feature (Windows XP only, I think) and you should be fine.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Please don't laugh, but can I use a router with a dial up isp?

If you were running at the blistering 24.6 kb/s we run at back at my house, then I would have laughed, and felt kind of sorry for you at the same time...:(

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
If you were running at the blistering 24.6 kb/s we run at back at my house, then I would have laughed, and felt kind of sorry for you at the same time...:(

haha

luvhoops34
01-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

The last time I had dial up here at home if I got 24.6 kb/s I thought I had hit a home run! It usually ran around 19.6 kb/s.:(
But I'm going to try again and see if it's any better. I know what yall are thinking....boy is she a dumb @ss.

I'm trying to save $$$ by having dial up as opposed to my Cingular air card which runs me $100/mo and the only other option besides dial up is direcway satellite which also run $100/mo for the first 15 months, then after the equip is paid for it drops to $59/mo.

Cameron Crazy
01-26-2007, 07:29 PM
The last time I had dial up here at home if I got 24.6 kb/s I thought I had hit a home run! It usually ran around 19.6 kb/s.:(
But I'm going to try again and see if it's any better. I know what yall are thinking....boy is she a dumb @ss.

I'm trying to save $$$ by having dial up as opposed to my Cingular air card which runs me $100/mo and the only other option besides dial up is direcway satellite which also run $100/mo for the first 15 months, then after the equip is paid for it drops to $59/mo. That would be your best bet my friend has that and they love it!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-26-2007, 07:31 PM

I'm trying to save $$$ by having dial up as opposed to my Cingular air card which runs me $100/mo and the only other option besides dial up is direcway satellite which also run $100/mo for the first 15 months, then after the equip is paid for it drops to $59/mo.

By the end of this year, you will be able to have DSL out in the country, at least that is the goal that AT&T is shooting for, and what my dad said.

luvhoops34
01-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately, Verizon is our local phone service provider. :(
Out where I live we don't even have fiber optic lines. Good ol' analog is the top of the line for us.

The county seat of Wilson County, Floresville, is a mere thirty miles from San Antonio. Yet here we sit in the dark ages with no DSL. It's hindering development, bc people don't want to move out here with their businesses without affordable high speed internet.

I bought a satellite from Direcway about five years ago. However, for the last four years we have worked out of town and I have had my service turned off. They won't upgrade my system because my "box" is too old. Go figure. So I'm back to square one.

sinton66
01-26-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm not positive, but I think you would have to be using an external modem hooked between the router and the phone line to accomplish what you're asking. I'm pretty sure a standard router will not pass regular telephone dialing/ringing.

luvhoops34
01-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I'm not positive, but I think you would have to be using an external modem hooked between the router and the phone line to accomplish what you're asking. I'm pretty sure a standard router will not pass regular telephone dialing/ringing.

I found this....

http://compnetworking.about.com/b/a/211063.htm