PDA

View Full Version : Manu could soon set league record for most technicals ever

Emerson1
01-25-2007, 08:46 PM
NBA might penalize players for flopping

Scott Soshnick
Bloomberg News
Jan. 25, 2007 01:07 PM

National Basketball Association players who fake fouls might soon be penalized themselves, a league official said.

The NBA is studying how often feigned fouls, known as "flops," occur and whether officials can consistently tell the difference between actual fouls and embellishments, said Stu Jackson, the executive vice president for basketball operations.

"They're really difficult to determine in real time. They're meant to fool an official," Jackson told reporters today. "Are we going to be wrong more times than not? It's tough, but we're looking at it."
advertisement

FIBA, the governing body for international basketball, allows referees to impose a technical foul for flopping, a penalty that Jackson said the NBA is considering. Other sports, including soccer and hockey, also allow officials to penalize players who embellish fouls.

"We have so many more plays than you do in a football or soccer game and in a more intimate environment," said Jackson, who didn't offer a timetable for a decision.

Jackson met with reporters in New York to discuss the league's officiating program.

I don't think it should be a technical. Just rather a defensive foul for blocking.

I would rather them change the rule on a tactic Wade has made popular. How can it be a defensive foul when you just straight up, and the offensive players jumps into the guy in the air? I'm not sure but in college it's an offensive foul.

DU_stud04
01-25-2007, 08:47 PM
with dirk a close second :)

Pudlugger
01-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Save the Flop! one of BB's greatest moves!:D

Emerson1
01-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04

Dirk doesn't flop, he gets hit than overreacts about it.:)

kepdawg
01-25-2007, 08:52 PM

Dirk flops? :thinking:

football4life
01-25-2007, 08:53 PM
this is why i don't watch the NBA

DU_stud04
01-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Dirk doesn't flop, he gets hit than overreacts about it.:) hahaha

RMAC
01-25-2007, 09:05 PM
No, D-Wade flops. I know all the Mavs fans on here know what I'm talking about.

bobcat1
01-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Does the flop have anything to do with the river card??????????

smustangs
01-25-2007, 09:22 PM
the flop is just part of the game you cant take that out.

Bandera YaYa
01-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Dirk doesn't flop, he gets hit than overreacts about it.:) Dirk sux.

DU_stud04
01-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Dirk sux. i knew i liked something about you YaYa :)

smustangs
01-25-2007, 09:34 PM
reuben ur a dallas area guy and like the spurs i will never understand you son haha :devil:

DU_stud04
01-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
reuben ur a dallas area guy and like the spurs i will never understand you son haha :devil: i was transplanted here, sweetwater isnt in the metroplex, spurs are in texas, and ive been a spurs fan since young. plus half my family resides in SA, hell, my uncle was the commissioner for the team for a while.

ask me again why i am a spurs fan and not mavericks and ill keep it short and put up 3 fingers ;)

smustangs
01-25-2007, 09:48 PM
i was transplanted here, sweetwater isnt in the metroplex, spurs are in texas, and ive been a spurs fan since young. plus half my family resides in SA, hell, my uncle was the commissioner for the team for a while.

ask me again why i am a spurs fan and not mavericks and ill keep it short and put up 3 fingers ;)

duly noted sorry man haha

JR2004
01-25-2007, 09:55 PM
If something like this had been in place about 10 years ago, Vlade's career would've been over in his late 20's!

I'm still waiting for the NBA to crackdown on the whiners and complainers who overreact to foul calls. I know they're supposed to be doing it, but I'm not seeing it that often. One reason I was glad to see the Lakers let Devean George walk away was how retarded he'd act after a foul call on him. His reactions rivaled anything Tim "I've NEVER, EVER committed a foul in my entire life" Duncan does.

Highschoolfan78
01-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Vlade was the man at flopping yo!!

DU_stud04
01-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
duly noted sorry man haha duly noted indeed :D