PDA

View Full Version : question about the 70's (sorta)

44INAROW
01-25-2007, 02:27 PM
How many of you could legally purchase alcohol while you were in high school?

pirate4state
01-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Nope, not me but somehow I got my hands on it!! :eek: :o

BullFrog Dad
01-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
How many of you could legally purchase alcohol while you were in high school? I could (Class of '76). Your Senior year popularity was on a sliding scale as to when your 18th birthday fell. With an October birthday I had a lot of friends!

Bullaholic
01-25-2007, 02:33 PM
How many of you could legally purchase alcohol while you were in high school?

Legal drinking age in Metairie, La(a suburb of New Orleans) in 1965, was 18. I was a 17-yr old senior, but it didn't make too much difference ---in N.O., if you can lay the money on the bar, you got a drink. My HS had an "official" barroom of its own about 2 miles down the highway. We were all lucky to have survived to adulthood---and I do not advocate our behavior to the kids of today---things have gotten a lot more dangerous in our society.

pirate4state
01-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
We were all lucky to have survived to adulthood---and I do not advocate our behavior to the kids of today---things have gotten a lot more dangerous in our society.

No kidding!!

Just 13 years ago we used to do some pretty stupid things and I can't believe we came through in one piece!! :eek: :eek: Hell, some of my classmates are still doing stupid things!! :doh:

44INAROW
01-25-2007, 02:44 PM
I didn't turn 18 until Aug after I graduated but that didn't stop me either :D I did get "caught" once - I was in my drill team uniform - WHITE BOOTS and all - and we stopped at a local store to buy beer before a ball game (OMG what were we thinking?) anyway - later on that night - during the game- we're lined up and are about to go on the field and perform and the guy that owned the store came up and chewed the other girls and me out royally for buying beer at his place........(he knew none of us were 18).... not sure why I am sharing this - I guess confession is good for the soul ;)

burnet44
01-25-2007, 02:47 PM
law changed to 18 in Feb? 1974
I turned 18 in March of '74

yeah I could but I didnt
wasnt a big deal

I just never saw all the excitement of it

Ranger Mom
01-25-2007, 02:49 PM
I turned 18 in January and didn't graduate until May!!

BUT....I was Miss goody two shoes!! I didn't drink or anything until I graduated!!http://www.stpatricksparish.com/images/Smilie_Angel.gif

BuffyMars
01-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Legal drinking age in Metairie, La(a suburb of New Orleans) in 1965, was 18. I was a 17-yr old senior, but it didn't make too much difference ---in N.O., if you can lay the money on the bar, you got a drink. My HS had an "official" barroom of its own about 2 miles down the highway. We were all lucky to have survived to adulthood---and I do not advocate our behavior to the kids of today---things have gotten a lot more dangerous in our society.

I grew up in the wrong town! :devil:

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
I grew up in the wrong town! :devil:

Me knowing what I know about you I think you enjoyed your HS years JUST FINE in the town u lived in

BuffyMars
01-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Me knowing what I know about you I think you enjoyed your HS years JUST FINE in the town u lived in :evillol: :evillol: :hand:

IHS Fan
01-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
law changed to 18 in Feb? 1974
I turned 18 in March of '74

yeah I could but I didnt
wasnt a big deal

I just never saw all the excitement of it

the law changed on august 27th 1973. it was my brothers birthday is how i remember. i was already out of school.

44INAROW
01-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by IHS Fan
the law changed on august 27th 1973. it was my brothers birthday is how i remember. i was already out of school.
I was going to say something, but wanted to check my facts -husband turned 18 in 73 so it was a memorable summer lol....... he also turned 21 the year they changed the rule back to 21 - (I think - it's been a few years so my memory is foggy)

spiveyrat
01-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Couldn't you legally buy at age 18 in Louisiana until around the late '80's or early '90's? :thinking:

spiveyrat
01-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Me knowing what I know about you I think you enjoyed your HS years JUST FINE in the town u lived in

Let's hear some DETAILS!!! :clap: :D

Ranger Mom
01-25-2007, 03:23 PM
I was going to say something, but wanted to check my facts -husband turned 18 in 73 so it was a memorable summer lol....... he also turned 21 the year they changed the rule back to 21 - (I think - it's been a few years so my memory is foggy)

I have been "legal" since I was 18. When it turned "21" I was already "21". My "ex" was only 20 however, so I had to buy his for him!!

Bullaholic
01-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Couldn't you legally buy at age 18 in Louisiana until around the late '80's or early '90's? :thinking:

I think that's right, spivey---like I said, it didn't matter as long as you were tall enough to lay money on the bar.

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat

Yep..and that is one of the main reasons their state's roads were so bad, the Federal Government would not give them any funds because they refused to change to 21.

Maroon87
01-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
I could (Class of '76). Your Senior year popularity was on a sliding scale as to when your 18th birthday fell. With an October birthday I had a lot of friends!

That's why the kids in Dazed and Confused could buy beer. :cool:

44INAROW
01-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
That's why the kids in Dazed and Confused could buy beer. :cool:
it was the best of times;
it was the best of times :cool: :cool: :cool:

actually, I didn't drink that much but it was fun buying it :D

pirate4state
01-25-2007, 03:49 PM
it was the best of times;
it was the best of times :cool: :cool: :cool:

actually, I didn't drink that much but it was fun buying it :D

I stopped drinking on a regular basis when I was old enough to buy the stuff. :eek: :doh: :eek: :doh:

Pudlugger
01-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Well does anyone else remember openning beer cans with a can openner? The cans were tin then too and tough to crush with one hand, not like these sissy aluminum ones now. Six packs for $1.04 too!

STANG RED
01-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I turned 18 in December of my senior year 1978, but I was buying it from the time I was 16, and never got carded, but the day I turned 18, I went back to the same Colonial convenience store I had been buying at for 2 years, bought from the same lady that had sold many cases of beer to me in the past, and low and behold she carded me LOL. You should have seen the look on her face when she realized she had been selling to a minor for 2 years. LOL She almost didnt sell it to me then, but what could she do?
At that time Coors had those guffy push in tops that would cut your thumb to the bone if you werent careful. I think I still have scars on my thumb. I hated those things!

bobcat1
01-25-2007, 06:17 PM
We never had to buy it. Other kids bought it for us. I doubt they bought it legal either. They always had plenty after the home games and Saturday nights on the away games for us that played. AWWWW those days would be welcome again. Memories we can't talk about on here! :D

BILLYFRED0000
01-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I grew up in a dry county and it did not rain there much either.
But we all knew where Bush's was right on the other side of the county line......

espn1
01-25-2007, 07:21 PM
I could buy beer legally but it still went against the rules in the Student Hand Book. Those were the good ol days. I carried two rifles in my back window.to school daily and no one said a word. Many of my friends carried rifles.

ILS1
01-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Didn't Texas change the drinking age to 19 in the mid 80's?? I remember turning 19 in June 1986. I was allowed LEGALLY to drink. Then Oct. 1st,1986 they changed the drinking age to 21. I got to drink LEGALLY for about 3 1/2 months then had to wait another 1 1/2 years to drink legally again!!!:D

luvhoops34
01-25-2007, 07:46 PM

I turned 18 in Dec of 74 after I graduated from high school. But getting alcohol was never a problem before I turned 18. Anything we wanted, we got. Right after I turned 21 they changed the law where you had to be 21 to legally purchase and consume alcohol. It worked out fine for me.
:D