PDA

View Full Version : Politically Incorrect Mascots

Ozzy
10-02-2003, 09:11 AM
The FoxNews.com poll for the day is about football mascots. The poll reads: "Is the Washington Redskins trademark disparaging to American Indians?"

Possible answers for the poll are:

Yes, I think it is.

No, it's harmless.

I'm not sure.

I for one have always thought that the Redskins was a horrible name for a team. We as Americans have acted as if Native Americans were more or less meaningless beings for centuries.

Here are some mythical examples of team mascots that are similar, but would cause a huge uproar:

The New York Negroes
The California Yellow Skins
The Florida Brownies
The Arkansas White Boys

See what I mean?

booger1
10-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Wow! I bet this will cause a little controversy! But hey man, you guts! eek! This is true too!

<small>[ October 02, 2003, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: booger1 ]</small>

espn1
10-02-2003, 09:25 AM
Hey! I like that name. The California Yellow Skins, it's kind of catchy. Invision this. The Yellow Skin cheerleaders run out on the field and start to cheer. SHANGHAI, HONG KONG, EGG FOO YUNG, CALIFORNIA YELLOW SKINS NUMBER 1. Is this in bad taste? Maybe? Well my wife thought it was funny and she's Asian. HOLLA!

<small>[ October 02, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: espn1 ]</small>

JasperDog94
10-02-2003, 09:31 AM
ROTFLMBO!!!

If this is all people have to get upset about, I sugguest the following:

"GET A LIFE" :p

There are way more important things to worry about. :D

HornetMom
10-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Ozzy:
The FoxNews.com poll for the day is about football mascots. The poll reads: "Is the Washington Redskins trademark disparaging to American Indians?"

Possible answers for the poll are:

Yes, I think it is.

No, it's harmless.

I'm not sure.

I for one have always thought that the Redskins was a horrible name for a team. We as Americans have acted as if Native Americans were more or less meaningless beings for centuries.

Here are some mythical examples of team mascots that are similar, but would cause a huge uproar:

The New York Negroes
The California Yellow Skins
The Florida Brownies
The Arkansas White Boys

See what I mean?Excuse me..."We as Americans"????? Are you including yourself in that category? :confused:

Ozzy
10-02-2003, 09:38 AM
sorry, double post

<small>[ October 02, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Ozzy ]</small>

Ozzy
10-02-2003, 09:39 AM
<strong>[/QUOTE]Excuse me..."We as Americans"????? Are you including yourself in that category? :confused: </strong>[/QUOTE]

Since I have recently moved to California, I guess I am :)

But actually, when looking at mascots, why are Native Americans the only ethnic group to be depicted?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pandora
10-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Good post Ozzy. I agree with you 100%. I believe that all mascots that are detrimental to any group of people should be banned. America has discriminated against too many people for too long. It is time Americans treated each other with the respect they deserve.

espn1
10-02-2003, 09:46 AM
SHANGHAI, HONG KONG, EGG FOO YUNG, CALIFORNIA YELLOW SKINS NUMBER 1.

JasperDog94
10-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Pandora:
Good post Ozzy. I agree with you 100%. I believe that all mascots that are detrimental to any group of people should be banned. America has discriminated against too many people for too long. It is time Americans treated each other with the respect they deserve.Yeah, I agree! One time I was chased by a bunch of ducks down by this pond. Man, they were scary! eek! Ever since then I've been terrified of ducks. :confused: So I say every team that has a duck mascot should be changed to something else because that discriminates against my fear of ducks. :mad: Couldn't we just make the mascot something like a Christmas tree? No, that would discriminate against non-Christians. :o Ohhh, I know! How about a color? Surely no one would have a problem with that! Come on big puke green! :D

<small>[ October 02, 2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: JasperDog94 ]</small>

Ozzy
10-02-2003, 09:53 AM
"Redskin" is a derogatory term used to describe Native Americans. I'm not talking about a duck.

Think of other derogatory words to describe:

Hispanics
Blacks
Asians
Puerto Ricans

Are they mascots of high schools, colleges, or pro teams? Don't think so. eek!

vet93
10-02-2003, 09:55 AM
What about these:
Fighting Irish...what a slam on those of irish descent. Are all Irishman drunken Brawlers?
Vandals...a germanic tribe, certainly an attempt to link viloence, nazism and the german people.
Vikings...an attempt to characterize those of nordic descent as a brutal bunch of murderers
Trojans...an attempt to disparage europeans.
Spartans...see Trojans.
Demon Deacons...an attack on all Christians.
Texans...how dare they degrade all texans.
The list goes on....
Maybe just maybe the selection of a mascot is not an attempt to degrade an individual or group but to lift up that group as an example of fighting spirit and noble character.

Ozzy:
<strong>Excuse me..."We as Americans"????? Are you including yourself in that category? :confused: </strong>[/QUOTE]

Since I have recently moved to California, I guess I am :)

But actually, when looking at mascots, why are Native Americans the only ethnic group to be depicted?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.</strong>[/QUOTE]

JasperDog94
10-02-2003, 09:59 AM
Ozzy:
"Redskin" is a derogatory term used to describe Native Americans. I'm not talking about a duck.

Think of other derogatory words to describe:

Hispanics
Blacks
Asians
Puerto Ricans

Are they mascots of high schools, colleges, or pro teams? Don't think so. eek! You don't understand man. Those ducks were possessed! eek! eek! eek!

booger1
10-02-2003, 10:03 AM
JasperDog94:

Pandora:
Good post Ozzy. I agree with you 100%. I believe that all mascots that are detrimental to any group of people should be banned. America has discriminated against too many people for too long. It is time Americans treated each other with the respect they deserve.Yeah, I agree! One time I was chased by a bunch of ducks down by this pond. Man, they were scary! eek! Ever since then I've been terrified of ducks. :confused: So I say every team that has a duck mascot should be changed to something else because that discriminates against my fear of ducks. :mad: Couldn't we just make the mascot something like a Christmas tree? No, that would discriminate against non-Christians. :o Ohhh, I know! How about a color? Surely no one would have a problem with that! Come on big puke green! :D I know how you feel man! I was chased by a goose one time! Scary! eek!

espn1
10-02-2003, 10:04 AM
The absolute best Mascot would be the " Butt Cracks". Every body is equal in that catagory. Unless there are some horizontal freaks of nature. HOLLA!

JasperDog94
10-02-2003, 10:08 AM
but some "butt cracks" are bigger than others...try again.

ps. crack kills

CHS_Grad '85
10-02-2003, 10:08 AM
booger1:

JasperDog94:

Pandora:
Good post Ozzy. I agree with you 100%. I believe that all mascots that are detrimental to any group of people should be banned. America has discriminated against too many people for too long. It is time Americans treated each other with the respect they deserve.Yeah, I agree! One time I was chased by a bunch of ducks down by this pond. Man, they were scary! eek! Ever since then I've been terrified of ducks. :confused: So I say every team that has a duck mascot should be changed to something else because that discriminates against my fear of ducks. :mad: Couldn't we just make the mascot something like a Christmas tree? No, that would discriminate against non-Christians. :o Ohhh, I know! How about a color? Surely no one would have a problem with that! Come on big puke green! :D I know how you feel man! I was chased by a goose one time! Scary! eek! NO, Dude - I had a friend chased by a swan... those are the worse... they go for blood...

ATMO
10-02-2003, 10:09 AM
Most derogatory terms came from white Americans during the great immigrations to the US. They were mostly new to the country, too, but needed words to establish themselves as "superior". People who are not offended by slang terms to describe these groups are probably descendants of these same early white Americans.

JasperDog94
10-02-2003, 10:16 AM
ATMO:
Most derogatory terms came from white Americans during the great immigrations to the US. They were mostly new to the country, too, but needed words to establish themselves as "superior". People who are not offended by slang terms to describe these groups are probably descendants of these same early white Americans.Care to back that up with some facts or are you just trying to stir things up?

RBARKER
10-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Thats crazy I have never called or heard anyone refer to an Indian as a Redskin. I would call an Indian an Indian GeeZZ. The media loves this crap because it causes their ratings to climb. I can't beleive that people honestly think that the Redskin organization named thier team to make fun of Indians. Its just a name

vet93
10-02-2003, 10:23 AM
My descendants came to America in response to potato famine in the mid 1800's. Few groups of people suffered such extreme and unwarranted discrimination during that time.

JasperDog94
10-02-2003, 10:26 AM
vet93:
My descendants came to America in response to potato famine in the mid 1800's. Few groups of people suffered such extreme and unwarranted discrimination during that time.Yeah, but the media doesn't care about that. That group won't get them ratings. :confused:

HornetMom
10-02-2003, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vet93:
[QB]What about these:

Vandals...a germanic tribe, certainly an attempt to link viloence, nazism and the german people.
Vikings...an attempt to characterize those of nordic descent as a brutal bunch of murderers

Demon Deacons...an attack on all Christians.
Texans...how dare they degrade all texans.

WOW Having been born in Texas, of Norwegian and German descent, and a Christian, I'm doing pretty good on your list. LOL :D :D

CatsDen
10-02-2003, 10:33 AM
"I can't beleive that people honestly think that the Redskin organization named thier team to make fun of Indians. Its just a name"

Then it must just be a coincidence that they have the Indian warrior depicted on their helmet. Please! It is clear that "Redskins" is undoubtedly referring to Indians.

Gobbla2001
10-02-2003, 10:57 AM
I really don't believe the Redskin thing is that bad...

Native Americans were called 'Red men' by the 'white men' and we were called 'white men' by the 'red men'...

Red men just sounded better as Redskins, that's all, THEY HAVE RED SKIN... We're white because WE HAVE WHITE SKIN...

Now, I think most people these days just have a problem with using Native American references in mascot names PERIOD, no matter if it's Redskins, Apaches, Indians, Braves, it doesn't matter, there's a problem there...

Maybe if it were the Washington Reservation Romers or something it'd be worse, but Redskins? C'mon...

Red-skinned man was used by the white-man when mentioned Native Americans... Just like Native Americans use 'white-skinned man' or just 'white-man' to describe us Anglo-Saxon's or Caucasians or whatever... Should we go correct them for calling us the 'white-man'?

And PS. It'd be the Arkansas Inbread ha jk...

CatsDen
10-02-2003, 11:08 AM
"Red-skinned man was used by the white-man when mentioned Native Americans... Just like Native Americans use 'white-skinned man' or just 'white-man' to describe us Anglo-Saxon's or Caucasians or whatever... Should we go correct them for calling us the 'white-man'?"

The difference is: Can you name any teams named "Whiteskins" or "White boys"? No. There were a lot of terms used to describe people of various races in the past , but are not acceptable by today's standards. I understand their argument against the use of "Redskin" or the use of an Indian character in bold red colors (Cleveland Indians). Maybe their numbers are not as strong or they are not politically active, but their argument is legitimate.

Gobbla2001
10-02-2003, 11:10 AM
No, you can't, but can you name the first race to discover America?

Were they the, uh, Native Americans?

Aren't we honoring the race of people who 'first found' this country?

CatsDen
10-02-2003, 11:18 AM
Would you find it "honorable" to have a team depicted with the "Uncle Tom" character, or clad in KK hoods? Both the White and Black races are proud, and deservedly so. That is why we would not tolerate the use of either. I don't believe that the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians are trying to honor the Native American with the use of the term "Redskins" or depicting the Indian figure in bright red colors. I also don't believe that they intend to degrade the Native American. I think they are just being insensitive to the Native American culture. I don't see the same problem with the Atlanta Braves because there is no use of a bright red figure or derrogatory name.

Gobbla2001
10-02-2003, 11:25 AM
I don't agree with the Cleveland Indians because Native Americans are not Indians, they're Native Americans...

But Redskins? THEY CALL US WHITE-SKINNED MEN... I'm not offended...

When the Redskins was chosen as a mascot, it was in a more un-liberal decade where they didn't have to worry about activists or so charging them, and YES, it was a way to honor them... Cleveland Indians prolly is as well, but they weren't close to being referred to Native Americans back then as much as they are now...

If I had a team, I would use a Native American reference... I'm getting a tattoo dedicated to my late sister and I'll be using Native American art for it... Why? Because I feel horrible that my ancestors had to come over here and take their land away from them, but there's not a DANG thing I can do about it, our advances in technology that have been woven into the American landscapes CANNOT be undone... So when we use them as sports mascots etc... we are in some way appologizing to them for taking their land, because it wasn't directly our fault, but our ancestors' faults...

crzyjournalist03
10-02-2003, 11:27 AM
sheesh..."Redskins" is bad, but not a single person complaining about the Cleveland "Indians"??? Come on people, let's be consistent.

I for one would love to see a team called the "white boys" and seriously doubt that you would have any white people complain...however, I do expect that some minorities might complain about it being partial to whites...then where would that leave the argument? You can't name a team after a minority, because it's derogatory towards minorities, but you can't name a team after whites because it'd discrimination...

The Redskins have had their name since 1969, and now it's 2003 before people are taking it to court? A little on the late side isn't it?

Gobbla2001
10-02-2003, 11:35 AM
You said:

'Would you find it "honorable" to have a team depicted with the "Uncle Tom" character, or clad in KK hoods?'

That's not even close to the same thing as 'Redskins'...

And another thing... The Redskins are from Washington DC, our nation's capital... That was a way of telling all Native Americans that they're just as much a part of this 'nation' as we are...

CatsDen
10-02-2003, 11:38 AM
I don't feel the smallest bit of shame or responsibility for what was done hundreds of years ago. I was obviously not part of it and cannot change it. It was horrible and unfair. Our history is scattered with moments, events, and policies that were ridiculously wrong, but out of my control. BUT, I agree with the Native Americans' right to ask for derrogatory names and figures to be removed from Modern sports. Does it directly impact me, or bother me? Not at all. But if they find it offensive, who am I to say "no it's not."?

JasperDog94
10-02-2003, 11:40 AM
Ducks, swans, geese, get rid of them all! eek!

Gobbla2001
10-02-2003, 11:46 AM
Yes, if they want it removed, remove it...

But you have to understand, a lot the Native Americans accually stepping up to have it removed weren't sparked by their own interests, but the interests of some liberal out there who thought 'ew, that's unfair'...

I'm almost positive that if you polled half the Native Americans out there 70% of 'em would say "Who cares, we call 'em White-Skins"... But the person who sparked the interest of a certain group of Native Americans only has that group protesting it, but no one has any Native Americans speaking out saying they don't care...

The fact is, most Native Americans could give a crap about what's going on, they just want their life and their land...

And I know that you and I and everyone here had nothing to do with their land taken away, but the Native Americans of the 20th and 21st centuries have never felt like they've had a part in this America at all, so the result is people trying to make them feel more like they're a part of this country and a part of its history...

That's all

vet93
10-02-2003, 11:51 AM
If they were not trying to honor the fighting prowess of the native american, then why select those terms as a mascot. Mascots are not selected to bring ridicule to the team or to the mascot depicted. Mascots are selected to honor a particular virtue(s) that are posessed by the mascot. Examples: Bulldogs (tenacious, tough, relentless), Tigers (powerful, quick), Indians (warriors, resourceful fighters). You do not have The Bay City Bozos or the Sinton Sissies or the Winters Windbags because those mascots don't represent anything fierce, competitive, noble or in any way enviable. I am of Irish decent. I have a choice to make about the Fighting Irish mascot. 1. I can take offense at this characterization because it depicts Irishmen as white trash, drunken brawlers who engage in senseless acts of violence (a popular belief held by those who resented irish immigration in the 1800's) or 2. I can be proud of the mascot because it depicts the resilient fighting spirit of the Irish people. Remember...Irishman was akin to a dirty word by many in the northeast in particular during those times. The Politically Correct Atmosphere that we live in has given our population a collective chip on our shoulders about anything that can be twisted into some kind of insult. Because...when we are insulted...then we can claim to be victims and garner the public sympathies reserved for those who are disadvantaged. It seems that there are many more things on this planet that should garner more attention and indignation than whether the Cleveland Indians should change their mascot.

CatsDen:
Would you find it "honorable" to have a team depicted with the "Uncle Tom" character, or clad in KK hoods? Both the White and Black races are proud, and deservedly so. That is why we would not tolerate the use of either. I don't believe that the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians are trying to honor the Native American with the use of the term "Redskins" or depicting the Indian figure in bright red colors. I also don't believe that they intend to degrade the Native American. I think they are just being insensitive to the Native American culture. I don't see the same problem with the Atlanta Braves because there is no use of a bright red figure or derrogatory name.

espn1
10-02-2003, 11:59 AM
espn1:
SHANGHAI, HONG KONG, EGG FOO YUNG, CALIFORNIA YELLOW SKINS NUMBER 1.SHANGHAI, HONG KONG, EGG FOO YUNG, CALIFORNIA YELLOW SKINS NUMBER 1.

Backwoods
10-02-2003, 12:11 PM
The dictionary says native means born there. Doesn't Native American cover a bunch of people. This has always puzzled me. :rolleyes:

jason
10-02-2003, 12:20 PM
when my dad (3afan) was little, his baseball team was called the nads..and during the games, fans would cheer Go-Nads, Go-Nads....haha, get it??.... :D :D :D

3afan
10-02-2003, 12:22 PM
actually that was in the summers when i was in college and it was the NadZ ... i guess i was littler then

<small>[ October 02, 2003, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

jason
10-02-2003, 12:25 PM
3afan, i thought u were littler when u were on that team...

<small>[ October 02, 2003, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: jason ]</small>

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 12:25 PM
me too, i used to be littler but now im big ass, bigger than most fish.

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 12:29 PM
naww, im pretty big now

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 12:29 PM
you're the one whose prolly littler than me

jason
10-02-2003, 12:30 PM
Hetfan:
you're the one whose prolly littler than mei bet im not...i might be younger, but not littler...

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 12:31 PM
how much you wanna bet

jason
10-02-2003, 12:34 PM
im 6'6" 230 lbs....how much you wanna bet???

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 12:36 PM
i'm 6'7 231 pounds!!!, now give me my money

jason
10-02-2003, 12:37 PM
haha...its in the mail...

spiveyrat
10-02-2003, 12:39 PM
If ya'll keep this up, it'll be Team A vs. Team B.

I for one think the use of "Redskins" ought to be a flattering thing. They named their team after a culture who was seen as being fierce warriors. Who wouldn't want their football team to be thought of as fierce warriors?

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 12:39 PM
i aint even got now mail box

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 12:40 PM
seriously, dont taunt me

JasperDog94
10-02-2003, 12:43 PM
spiveyrat:

I for one think the use of "Redskins" ought to be a flattering thing. They named their team after a culture who was seen as being fierce warriors. Who wouldn't want their football team to be thought of as fierce warriors?Good point.

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 12:45 PM
im about to get the screamin' red ass up in here if i get taunted one more time

bellvillefan6699
10-02-2003, 12:55 PM
teh taunting is unfrickinnecessary... as for the names i think i am getting tired of crap like this. so what if they are called the redskins. their skin is red, so what. if they want to deny that they have a redish tint to their name then how do they know the name is even about them. i think it's ridiculous. you suck ozzy. dont taunt hetfan, he wasn't joking about the whole fish thing. i've seen fish and they aren't near HIS size that is.

booger1
10-02-2003, 01:07 PM
spiveyrat:

I for one think the use of "Redskins" ought to be a flattering thing. They named their team after a culture who was seen as being fierce warriors. Who wouldn't want their football team to be thought of as fierce warriors?THANK YOU!

Gobbla2001
10-02-2003, 01:08 PM
HaHa, the screamin' red arse...

Well, I'm about the get a mad-on...

Pandora
10-02-2003, 01:17 PM
bellvillefan6699:
you suck ozzy.There is no need to resort to that just because his opinion differs from yours. He brought up a valid point, which is now being discussed. Is that not the main function of this board?

bellvillefan6699
10-02-2003, 01:20 PM
who cares. just ignore teh part where i said you suck ozzy. good lord.

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 01:22 PM
acutally its not an opinion, its a fact, ozzy does suck.

bellvillefan6699
10-02-2003, 01:23 PM
that's what i said.

crzyjournalist03
10-02-2003, 01:24 PM
hetfan...that was uncalled for...there is no need to attack other members on this board...if you don't watch out, you won't be here much longer.

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 01:25 PM
are you threatening me? or just taunting me, cuz i can stand being threatened, its just that taunting thing that gets my goat. CAPEESH?

Pandora
10-02-2003, 01:26 PM
crzyjournalist03:
hetfan...that was uncalled for...there is no need to attack other members on this board...if you don't watch out, you won't be here much longer.Thank you. I am glad that some people on this board have some manners.

crzyjournalist03
10-02-2003, 01:26 PM
I'm not threatening or taunting you...just warning you, because the administrators usually don't allow that kind of stuff to be said.

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 01:29 PM
so you're taunting me huh. real cute. real effin cute.

bellvillefan6699
10-02-2003, 01:31 PM
seriously journalist, do you have to taunt on this message board. this board is about sharing opinions about 3a football, not taunting people with disabilities, after what happened with landries it's pretty obvious how the 3a downlow community feels about people with disabilities, so why don't you lay off creep. got it?

crzyjournalist03
10-02-2003, 01:32 PM
you know, for a guy who's been on this board for less than a week, you sure are a little bit cocky.

bellvillefan6699
and buzz off.

Hetfan
i can sense by the way you talk that you wear your shirts tucked in with no belt. as i suspected you like to scope out the place before you walk in. whose taunting who now?

bellvillefan6699
10-02-2003, 01:33 PM
look at my signup date... i just don't say much cuz a lot of it is useless.

bellvillefan6699
10-02-2003, 01:34 PM
his name is probably steve or todd. hell maybe even doug.

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 01:34 PM
you arent gonna fluff me off that easily, scumbag

bellvillefan6699
10-02-2003, 01:35 PM
if you think you can just come up on 3a and take over you CAN'T buster, i got news for you so cut the crap.

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 01:37 PM
yeah, teddie. cool it.

crzyjournalist03
10-02-2003, 01:39 PM
bellvillefan6699:
look at my signup date... i just don't say much cuz a lot of it is useless.I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to Hetfan.

bellvillefan6699
10-02-2003, 01:42 PM
i'm not useless, quit taunting me.

booger1
10-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Gimme a R...............R!
Gimme an O..............O!
Gimme a M...............M!
What's that spell,
ROM!

<small>[ October 02, 2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: booger1 ]</small>

Chris Hart
10-02-2003, 02:10 PM
If all team mascots that are detrimental to a group of people had to be banned, Burnet would have to change it's mascot because Bulldogs is a direct jab at my in-laws. :D :D :D

SintonFan
10-02-2003, 02:10 PM
CatsDen:
"Red-skinned man was used by the white-man when mentioned Native Americans... Just like Native Americans use 'white-skinned man' or just 'white-man' to describe us Anglo-Saxon's or Caucasians or whatever... Should we go correct them for calling us the 'white-man'?"

The difference is: Can you name any teams named "Whiteskins" or "White boys"? No. There were a lot of terms used to describe people of various races in the past , but are not acceptable by today's standards. I understand their argument against the use of "Redskin" or the use of an Indian character in bold red colors (Cleveland Indians). Maybe their numbers are not as strong or they are not politically active, but their argument is legitimate."But are not acceptable by today's standards?!?"
We live in this 'free' country of ours but have to put up with this incredible load of bunk called 'political correctness'. Are we more enlighted by todays standards? Who sets the standards? It's funny how soooo many people can be swayed by their own emotions when actual thinking is thrown out the window. This doesn't outright apply to you CatsDen, but your arguement weakens when you toss in the todays standards line. Truly think about what you are saying. We who have another opinion on this are just un-enlightened, are we not?
Vet, Gobbla and the others I couldn't agree with you more.

<small>[ October 02, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: SintonFan ]</small>

Ranger Mom
10-02-2003, 03:06 PM
This is one of the stupidest debates I have ever read!!

People just look for stuff to "whine" about. I have never given the "redskins" a second thought. Never thought of it being against a group of people. To me, they have always been a football team from Washington.

Let's make a mountain out of a molehill, why don't we??? GEEEEZ

bd0707
10-02-2003, 03:17 PM
It is probably better that some are politically incorrect, than any are anotomically correct :D :D

xlr8tor
10-02-2003, 03:27 PM
SintonFan:

CatsDen:

The difference is: Can you name any teams named "Whiteskins" or "White boys"? No. There were a lot of terms used to describe people of various races in the past , but are not acceptable by today's standards. I understand their argument against the use of "Redskin" or the use of an Indian character in bold red colors (Cleveland Indians). Maybe their numbers are not as strong or they are not politically active, but their argument is legitimate."But are not acceptable by today's standards?!?"
We live in this 'free' country of ours but have to put up with this incredible load of bunk called 'political correctness'. Are we more enlighted by todays standards? Who sets the standards? It's funny how soooo many people can be swayed by their own emotions when actual thinking is thrown out the window. This doesn't outright apply to you CatsDen, but your arguement weakens when you toss in the todays standards line. Truly think about what you are saying. We who have another opinion on this are just un-enlightened, are we not?
Vet, Gobbla and the others I couldn't agree with you more.Amen!!!! It's all about political correctness. I mean where will it end? First you have the Redskins change thier names. Then the Vikings. Oh, and what about the Saints? And you can't have the Raiders. Anybody that makes a living on a boat has problems with the Buccaneers. When I went overseas, some folks heard I was from Texas and asked me if I was a Cowboy, so strike that one too. And then the animal rights activists get going about how it is slanderous to name a team after an animal. So that does away with the Bears, Lions, Dolphins, Jaguars, Bengals, Rams, Eagles, Seahawks, Panthers, Bills, and Broncos. Can't use 49'ers lest we upset or make light of those in the mining profession. Giants discriminate agaist big people. And on and on it goes. And those are just in the NFL. You could suggest that you just name them team 1, team 2, team 3, but that would be unfair. "How come they get to be team 1?" I mean really, how far will it go? Are there actually any Indians, native Americans, Redskins, or whatever you want to call them playing for the Washington Redskins? Would it matter if there were? Give me a break. Just because someone thought I was a Cowboy because I am from TX; does that mean I should get upset, because I was stereotyped as such and take the name Cowboys of some sports team to the Supreme Court. I think some folks just have too much time on their hands. Just my take.

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 03:27 PM
All i want to know is who is doing the taunting and why!!?

bellvillefan6699
10-02-2003, 03:30 PM
i know i didn't TAUNT anyone. wasn't me. i ain't getting rommed

Hetfan
10-02-2003, 03:32 PM
i aint tauntin no one either. prolly you