PDA

View Full Version : Irony for fans of both UT and Dallas Cowboys

Phil C
01-25-2007, 11:56 AM
In 1962 UT played Oregon and won a tough game 25 to 13. At one point UT trailed in the game and it might have been worse when a ball sailed over the head of punter Ernie Koy Jr. but he ran and got the ball and miraculously kicked it as rushers were after him and got off a good punt.
One of the stars of Oregon was RB Mel Renfro and he played a good game. UT defense got tough the second half and they put up enough points to win the game.
The next season UT played Navy in the Cotton Bowl. UT was No. 1 and Navy No. 2 and Navy had the Heisman Trophy winner in Roger Stauback. But UT was too tough that day and won it easily 28 to 6.

The irony is that both of the opponents became great players in the NFL for the Dallas Cowboys.
Mel Renfro was one of the best defensive backs to ever play the game and he played for the Cowboys on their first two super bowl winning teams. He was considered one of the best in the business and for a while he was very dangerous in kickoff and punt returns and had a great Cowboy career indeed.
Roger Stauback became a great QB for Dallas in the 70s leading them to five super bowls with the Cowboys winning two of them. He was known for leading Dallas to victory late in the game many times. A great QB indeed.

District303aPastPlayer
01-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Mels kid played for SLC last year i believe...

kaorder1999
01-25-2007, 12:33 PM
i believe that was Mike Renfro's boy that played at SLC

Bull's-eye
01-25-2007, 12:59 PM
I got to meet Mel Renfro a couple of years ago. He was in very good shape and he laughed when I told him he looked like he could still play. We talked about his 100 yd kick off return for a TD vs San Francisco in 1965. In the same year, he had a 90 yd INT for a TD against ST. Louis. Renfro told me he was actually born in Houston, but grew up in Oregon. He was an outstanding RB at Oregon and also excelled in track. Tom Landry visioned him at being a DB and changed him from his RB position. He was all-pro for 10 consecutive seasons playing safety and cornerback.